Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

The thing is in Mexico you can by most drugs at a Pharmacy with out a prsciption (as i am told) a lady on TV said she went to a pharmacy in Mexico and they had an advertisement with a sale price for Prozac next to a display of fireworks on sale. She said it just seemed appropriate some how.

BigBoiBrady

New in Town
Really stupid question but isn't this pretty much the same thing?You don't think there are any narcissistic folks on this site as well?

Yes and no. Of course this forum (being largely geared towards fashion and accessories) would definitely cater to those with a greater narcissistic nature, but the primary purpose of a BBS is to have productive discussions with others about hobbies, things of technical nature, and politics/history. Social networking websites tend to be primarily about making yourself look cool. BBS's generally have a much less negative impact on humanity when compared to Social networking websites.

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Yes and no. Of course this forum (being largely geared towards fashion and accessories) would definitely cater to those with a greater narcissistic nature, but the primary purpose of a BBS is to have productive discussions with others about hobbies, things of technical nature, and politics/history. Social networking websites tend to be primarily about making yourself look cool. BBS's generally have a much less negative impact on humanity when compared to Social networking websites.

Thanks for the reply BBB that clears it up.would you have any insight on why the difference would occur between the 2?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Social networking is a double edged sword IMHO.
It has the "ability" to put you in touch with friends from long ago, relatives you don't have contact with on a regular basis, and new friends you've made at Church, Work, School, etc.
That being said....
It also has the ablitity to have political rants, pictures of someone's pet or kid doing something stupid for the sake of taking the picture, and a plethera of time wasting games.
I enjoy staying in touch with high school friends, and friends I knew is grade school.
But I don't enjoy the political rants, or the numerous game requests people send me.
Eventually, no matter what you mean or meant to me, that gets you booted off my page. :)

I'll add to the card statement, with cards that have music or sound. If you aren't prepared, scares the crap out of you when you open it!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Exactly. Also what I don't like is that any of my friends can post photos on my page without my permission, including ones of me...In addition, if I do decide to answer someone's political/religious statements, there is no official moderator to intervene when obscene words or ad hominem attacks enter the "conversation"...

gear-guy

Practically Family
WALMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started on the evil empire( my opinion). The modern invention that destroyed the world.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Compulsory bicycle helmet-wearing laws.

Stupid nanny-state.

I made myself a sort of new year's resolution that I'd start cycling again. I haven't done it since I was like 10 years old.

I don't...and can't...drive, because of my eyesight. But I'm perfectly capable of working a bicycle. I had this idea of buying myself a secondhand bike and using it to get around.

But all the stupid bicycle-laws that we have here in Melbourne have made it impractical to do ANYTHING about it.

It's not IMPOSSIBLE. I rode a bike once, I can do it again. But it's not practical to do so. To ride a bike, you MUST ride on the street (which I can't do because of my eyesight). To ride on the footpath, you MUST have a letter from your doctor. To ride at ALL, you MUST have a helmet.

Stupid nanny-state.

I even had a really sweet bike picked out, too. It was for sale, second-hand. It was an old-style men's road-bicycle. Complete with chrome mudguards, red paintjob, dynamo headlamps, and a cargo-rack on the back (which would be handy for me). I could probably buy it for a pretty decent price.

But there's no point buying it if it's not even possible for me to RIDE the damn thing because of all the bloody red-tape that's tying it to the ground.

Edward

Bartender
I'm all for compulsory helmet laws... I just wish that it was compulsory for them to make helmers tgat didn't make the wearer look like a mushroom painted up as a Power Ranger. I dream of a cycle helmet with sufficient protection underneath but the size and shape of a leather Pickelhaube on top.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Edward, do you cycle very often? I used to, and I'm tellin' you they're a pain in the ass. The comp. helmet law is the SINGLE REASON why in Melbourne, Australia, where I live, the public bike-share program is literally dead on its feet.

In every other city I've been to: London, Paris, Amstersdam, Rome, and probably a couple of other locales i can't remember, there were public bicycle-programs that were so popular there weren't enough vehicles to go around.

In Melbourne, they're lined up like soldiers, because NOBODY rents them because technically, it's illegal to do so.

To rent one, you need to wear a helmet. And nobody who rents one of those bicycles is EVER going to walk around town ALL DAY carrying a helmet JUST because they MIGHT POSSIBLY CONSIDER using a public bicycle.

But without a helmet, you're not allowed to use them anyway.

So a result, nobody uses them. I've been to the center of town and there's one of those public bike-racks right next to the main railway station. It's THE crossroads in town. Everyone goes there, everyone knows where it is. That rack couldn't be in a better location.

But the rack is completely full of bikes every day of the year, because nobody can ride them.

Stupid helmet-laws...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if (as a society) we've become too overprotective, or dumbed down.
We have a greenline near my town, and I know the look you speak of Edward.
It's funny, 20-30yrs ago we had bike riders and they didn't need those items.
Nowdays bikes are lighter with more functions than the old "Schwinn" model some family members still have.
Seems to me they'd be safer, and that would eliminate the need for helmets, pads all over, etc.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Before they start instituting helmet laws, they ought to enforce the laws that are already on the books -- requiring bicyclists to obey the rules of the road, to stop at all stop signs and signals, to stay off sidewalks, to operate only in the direction of traffic on one way streets, and to signal all turns. I'd like to have a nickel for every spandexed-out, funny-shoe-and-helmet-wearing "serious cyclist" who acts like he owns the road rather than simply being one of many vehicles sharing it.

And I wish skateboards had never been invented. Every punk kid that comes screaming down our sidewalk on one when we have a line of patrons standing at the the ticket window makes me want to break the stupid thing over his head.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Before they start instituting helmet laws, they ought to enforce the laws that are already on the books -- requiring bicyclists to obey the rules of the road, to stop at all stop signs and signals, to stay off sidewalks, to operate only in the direction of traffic on one way streets, and to signal all turns. I'd like to have a nickel for every spandexed-out, funny-shoe-and-helmet-wearing "serious cyclist" who acts like he owns the road rather than simply being one of many vehicles sharing it.

And also enforce the laws for vehicles sharing the road and include how to deal with a cyclist in driver training. I can't count the number of times I've seen a car do something that's illegal and/or dangerous to a cyclist or motorcyclist- turning into the person's path when they had the right of way. ignoring their signals, following too closely, cutting them short when passing, running someone off the road into the gravel or dirt, etc. I always followed the rules of the road when I rode to work, but after a few bad experiences, I had to give it up. I literally panic when I see a biker almost get hit because a car can't move over a little bit or cuts them off when passing.

I've had my share of near misses with cyclists who blow through stop signs, weave between cars, etc. so I know what you're talking about. (I'm primarily a driver now.) However, everybody on the roads could deal with being a little more alert, courteous, and kind.

What's a "fender bender" for two cars is a life and death situation for a biker (of either type). You bump someone in a car, you get a bent fender. You bump someone on a bike or motorcycle, you can have a dead person. That's why both parties have to follow the rules of the road. Watch for bikes and motorcycles. They're harder to see.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've had more than one instance of nearly being hit on my bike *by another bike,* and it's always one of these Serious Extreme Cyclists with a $5000 road bike and a ten-cent head. It's always a situation where I'm riding along on my big, heavy ballooner, and this helmeted oaf comes eeeming past when I'm trying to get thru an intersection and just about sideswipes me into a parked car. I'll be very happy to see the likes of him getting a ticket for running a stoplight but it'll never happen.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I've had more than one instance of nearly being hit on my bike *by another bike,* and it's always one of these Serious Extreme Cyclists with a $5000 road bike and a ten-cent head. It's always a situation where I'm riding along on my big, heavy ballooner, and this helmeted oaf comes eeeming past when I'm trying to get thru an intersection and just about sideswipes me into a parked car. I'll be very happy to see the likes of him getting a ticket for running a stoplight but it'll never happen.

Unfortunately, as your experience confirms, the modern decline of civility and manners extends to every aspect of our lives.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I detest the lack of encouragement and bias against the self-discipline and attention span necessary to read, comprehend, and appreciate a damned book! My Gosh is it Frustrating! COME ON PEOPLE! Without the ability to really and truly read and appreciate a book, we lose out on so much culture and knowledge! It's a perverse irony that at the time in all of history when the most diverse variety of information is available to the largest audience ever, that hardly a soul has the ability to use or appreciate any of it or at the very least understand it in context! Most of my school chums are execs or work as engineers or the like, they have advanced degrees and attended college for years....I've given several of them books that took me all of a week to read, and they never finished reading them, or any other book. My best friend has a book that I gave him 5 years ago and he is still only half way through. Sad, pitiful really.

It seems like everyone and everything is half-cocked anymore! No patience, no moderation, no self-control or discipline in any way shape or form, and to make matters worse, due to moralistic relativism which has become our de-facto societal modus operandi, no one is responsible for anything that they do, no matter how heinous, inhuman, or outright evil! Whatever it is, they're just "sick". People make choices, they do what they do, and they are RESPONSIBLE for what they do, we ALL Are! Our ancestors all knew that, heck even most of our parents knew it. What is going on?!

I look at it this way, If I decided to go out and killed a man, it would have been my choice, and I would be responsible. Black and white. Simple.

I suppose what I'm railing against as a modern development that I think we could do without is the state of society today as compared to in the past. There's plenty that's better, but also plenty that's a whole lot worse....Rant. Books are Important!

P.S. I kind of Hate Ikea.

Last edited:

Binary Blue

New in Town
Facebook.

I'm pretty sure it's been said here before.

In my experience, it just breeds narcissism and creates unnecessary drama (Ever seen 2 males argue over who they're Facebook friends with? It's pretty pathetic.).
I also don't feel safe putting personal info online, and I don't agree with their business practices of selling peoples' info to advertisers.

The Gentleman

New in Town
Agreed, Evan Everhart.
I would say television - makes people dummer and dummer, instead of watching a good movie or reading a good book they sink into their sofa and get their brain washed by it. Foolish cartoons and series make them dummer, and educational series are only half-truthes and are censored. Besides, it's a tremendous waste of time.
Another modern innovation which I despise is fast-food.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy