Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

The people who need to be poleaxed are the ones who open up those mighty high-HP high speed engines on narrow, two-lane twisty back roads. The sides of such roads are pocked with mangled trees as a result of such people meeting their fate.
The younger daughter of my wife's business partner was almost killed in a head-on collision last night with one of these *idiots. She was driving home from work on one of these two-lane twisty back roads (a favorite shortcut among the locals of that area) at around 9:00 p.m. when two of these *idiots who thought it would be a good idea to use this road as a race track came around a curve in the opposite direction, one of them in her lane. I don't know all of the specifics, but at the very least she suffered a broken wrist, a fractured sternum, a puncture wound to the abdomen, and internal injuries. Her father (my wife's business partner) said every air bag in the car had inflated and that, needless to say, the car was totaled. Fortunately for her there were witnesses who stayed to help (as much as they could) and give the police their account of what had happened. She's expected to make a full recovery, but it's going to take some time.

*I used the word "idiots" to describe the drivers of the vehicles who were responsible for the accident only because this is a polite, civil, and respectful forum; the expletives I'd truly like to have used would have been far more accurate. :rage: :censored:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
*I used the word "idiots" to describe the drivers of the vehicles who were responsible for the accident only because this is a polite, civil, and respectful forum; the expletives I'd truly like to have used would have been far more accurate. :rage: :censored:

There's also another group of "idiots" that are just as reckless & put others in danger.

These are drivers that believe they can drive safely after going to the hospital or clinic &
are still medicated.

I would be extra careful or try to avoid the area known as "medical center" as much as possible.
I only went there to go cover the accidents on a daily basis.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Isn't Carol a girl's name? ;)

Not when it's spelled with two Rs and two Ls! You obviously don't know that there are a lot of boys named Carroll and a lot of girls named Shelby. I would like to have been there when their dad explained were they got their names from. :cool:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
There's an old truism that states the reason why second hand Jaguars are so cheap is because if you can afford to feed one, you can afford to buy it new....

I bought a second hand '94 XJS Jaguar from a reputable dealer knowing that its India 6 engine would only deliver 15 miles per gallon.
A blast to drive with reasonable maintenance and upkeep.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'd also nominate people who gets behind the wheel drunk or "buzzed" to be poleaxed. Or high.

There is *no place* you need to go that desperately when you're drunk or high to get behind the wheel. There's things such as taxis, sober friends/ family, ambulances, and waiting it out.

Chances are that if you do drive to your work, some special event, the hospital, etc. in such a state you are actually going to be worse off than if you called in or called for someone else to take you. If you're too drunk to drive, you're too drunk to work, etc.

Also, based upon my many years of observations, I'd suggest staying off a bicycle under the influence as well. (Yes, I have seen a drunk person try to ride a bicycle more than once. Luckily none of them got very far.)

I bought a second hand '94 XJS Jaguar from a reputable dealer knowing that its India 6 engine would only deliver 15 miles per gallon.
A blast to drive with reasonable maintenance and upkeep.
1994?! The one with a fuse box in each corner of the car?! The one with Lucas The Prince of Darkness electrical system?! The one that has five miles of electrical wiring running through it instead of 300 feet?!
Yeah upkeep and maintenance is an understatement. :rofl:

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Self Check-out Registers, I feel they take jobs away and when ever I use them (yes i'm a hypocrite) they mess up half the time and I have to wait for someone to come and fix it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Self Check-out Registers, I feel they take jobs away and when ever I use them (yes i'm a hypocrite) they mess up half the time and I have to wait for someone to come and fix it.

If there's one thing in society today that will eventually move me to an act of public physical violence, it's that chirping voice from the self-service register. "Please place item in bagging area." Please place sledgehammer in the middle of device.

If there's one thing in society today that will eventually move me to an act of public physical violence, it's that chirping voice from the self-service register. "Please place item in bagging area." Please place sledgehammer in the middle of device.

And if you don't have anything but crisp, newly minted bills you're SOL.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I don't use them much, but, it seems like every time I do, something goes wrong, and the person in charge of the machines ends up giving me my groceries for free!

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Getting into these threads late... I'll add a few.

Automatic transmissions - I know this predates 1960, but they're annoying!

"Transportation appliance" type cars (econoboxes, or whatever you want to call them)

"Sport Sedan" and other crazy automotive paradoxes. I like full size sedans and small sports cars, but prefer 2 cars that are good at what they do to one car that's mediocre at everything.

Cheap/disposable goods - For 2 reasons, 1) they're cheap and usually not very good, 2) their prevalence makes it harder (and thus more expensive) to find high quality alternatives.

Battery powered (quartz or otherwise) watches - Honestly don't have anything against these except that as 2 above their existence means quality mechanical watches are now a niche market, purchase and service are both harder to find and more expensive

"Social networking" - I actually liked facebook when it was first introduced... required a .edu email to sign up, and was pretty much a way to maybe make some new friends or reconnect with old ones. Then they opened up membership to everyone and added the "news feed" pretty much been downhill since there. Never understood twitter or MySpace at all.

I find it interesting how many people here bemoaned the cell phone... yet they're on an internet forum, which also removes one from "face to face" type interaction.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm going to attack the next person who says they're "reaching out to me," usually to try to recruit me for some job I don't have any interest in doing or to sell me something I have no desire to own. Tell me you're calling me or writing me or wiring me or emailing me or sending me smoke signals, fine. But "reach out" to me and I'll slap you till your eyes rattle.

I'm going to attack the next person who says they're "reaching out to me," usually to try to recruit me for some job I don't have any interest in doing or to sell me something I have no desire to own. Tell me you're calling me or writing me or wiring me or emailing me or sending me smoke signals, fine. But "reach out" to me and I'll slap you till your eyes rattle.

Kind of like when my boss says he's "encouraging" me to do something. Geez, just assign me a task and I'll do my best to get it done.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

I have about the same sentiments when this phrase is used & there is no thought put into it !

"Sorry-bout-that"...:D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I have about the same sentiments when this phrase is used & there is no thought put into it !

"Sorry-bout-that"...:D
I work with someone that makes the exact same statement quite often.
Really? You might as well say "I don't care" because it has the same meaning.

I remember when 'thanking' someone the phrase 'No problem' took the place of 'You're welcome'.
When I first heard it as a reply I thought 'well I'm sure glad of that'...and how numb of a response. These days it is common in daily conversation..and still strikes me as an odd dull un- courteous answer.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy