Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pants to wear with an odd navy pinstripe jacket?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Is it possible to match an odd pinstripe jacket with a non-matching pair of pants? Specifically, what can be worn with a navy pinstripe double-breasted peak lapel wool suit jacket? I seem to recall hearing somewhere that pinstripes should never be worn with anything other than a matching suit piece, but I see retailers selling items described as "pinstripe sportcoat/blazer" and I wonder what they have in mind to wear them with.

I can imagine a black pinstripe jacket with a pair of black pants, but navy has me flummoxed. How about white or grey pants? Or an exactly matching shade of solid navy?

anon`

One Too Many
White or grey trousers was exactly what I was thinking. If you've only got the jacket, for whatever reason, you may want to consider removing the buttons and replacing them with something more sportcoat-like. Some suit buttons just make the jacket stand out and scream "suit coat" like mad, and I don't personally think it looks all that great. Although I don't have a lot of experience with this, it strikes me a logical enough that the more obvious and apparent the pattern is, the better a mishmash will look. I suppose your mileage will probably vary, however.

But grey and white flannel trousers are extraordinarily versatile (the former being the more important) and are two things that I think everyone should have in the wardrobe. Of course, I have neither, but that's not the point ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
Is it possible to match an odd pinstripe jacket with a non-matching pair of pants? Specifically, what can be worn with a navy pinstripe double-breasted peak lapel wool suit jacket? I seem to recall hearing somewhere that pinstripes should never be worn with anything other than a matching suit piece, but I see retailers selling items described as "pinstripe sportcoat/blazer" and I wonder what they have in mind to wear them with.

I can imagine a black pinstripe jacket with a pair of black pants, but navy has me flummoxed. How about white or grey pants? Or an exactly matching shade of solid navy?

I think a lot of those fashionable pinstripe blazers are meant to be worn with fashionable $300 jeans...

you could try cream trousers with the navy pinstripe.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
For reasons which I can't quite explain, I only like the look when done in flannel with suede shoes.[huh]

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

Slim Portly said:
a black pinstripe jacket with a pair of black pants
That would be tragic.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Originally Posted by Slim Portly - a black pinstripe jacket with a pair of black pants

That would be tragic.
Hey, that was pure conjecture! And great picture, just the look I was thinking of.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Check out the gent on the right. Double breasted peak lapel pinstripe jacket with solid pants, and thye've got to be either black or navy, don't you think?

gents.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here we have the look worn with panache by a dandy who knows the rules yet chooses to break them. He wants you to notice his choice.

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

Here we have a fellow who has worn out the matching trousers and can't afford a new suit. He's hoping you won't notice.

gents.jpg

IMO, to employ this look effectively the wearer must give the impression that he's doing it of his own volition rather than out of necessity. I think that flannel and suede (or maybe linen and white bucks) say the former, mainly because of their relative scarcity in the average wardrobe; where as the more pedestrian worsted and calf, not so much. Also, the components must be well fitted and in pristine condition.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
... Here we have a fellow who has worn out the matching trousers and can't afford a new suit. He's hoping you won't notice....
Seriously, I don't think it looks bad at all. Oh well... still, great responses from everyone and much appreciated.

Edward

Bartender
It's hard to tell, really, without a colour photo, but for what it's worth, I would shy away from trousers too close in colour to the jacket - something in more of a contrast is preferable. Contrast, as noted above, looks deliberate, while something too close will only emphasise the mismatch in an unflattering manner. Another vote for grey flannel here.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Isn't that Jack Warner?

IMG_3037_edited-1.jpg

In the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, sport jackets were always worn with a strong contrasting pant! The standing rule for sport outfits is that the coat should be worn with a contrasting pair of pants. Say the coat is light in color, a darker pair of pants should be worn or if it's a dark coat, the pants would be lighter in color.

Navy or dark blue will always be more flattering with white, ivory, light grey, light blue or light tan! Black looks sharp with the same line up but also ad a few to the mix since most light colors look sharp with black. I have seen some try and make an orphan suit coat look like a suit by putting them with dark pants... :eusa_doh: makes the outfit off balanced and awkward.

If I were you, I'd look for a pair of cream pants with cuffs! That is one of the most classiest looks from the 30s like Mr. Warner's outfit in the photo. Was he the only one? Nope! Most Hollywood stars wore this sport outfit off the set.

From a 1937 Men's resort fashions catalog here is this fashion plate:

2960230570_e3b27fd0ab.jpg

Big band leader Glenn Miller also knew his onions!

3000985481_03856dfa01.jpg

And, Actor Frederic March knew how to pull off resort wear... light cream coat with tan trousers.

3094381774_949ecf1e9f.jpg

Not sure if your coat is vintage, it's hard to find vintage cream trousers! So, what I might suggest is find a pair of cream flat front khakis and buy them a little on the large size, have them taken in and buy them long so you can have a nice cuff put on them... you could make them pass as earlier.

That's my advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot