Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Price Glory RAF Sheepskin Flying Jacket (Irvin Style)

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Has anyone recently (last couple of months) took delivery on a WPG RAF Sheepskin Flying Jacket? I would like to know your opinion on the current version of this jacket?
Past problems mentioned concerned seam tapes, zippers, and sizing. Thanks

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I see that Andrew suggested over at VLJ that you email Jerry at WPG and to be honest that's your best bet in terms of the seam tapes. But apparently the plastic seam tapes were only on the initial run, they are supposedly leather now.

Although it's not in the same league as an ELC or one of Jon's offerings for the money it's one of the better for pattern and the fleece doesn't look that dissimilar to originals. It lacks the elasticated strap on the back of the collar for keeping the collar upright in the slipstream of an open cockpit but these were actually discontinued in late war Irvins - although the pattern of the WPG if memory serves is a generic mid-war one and in truth would probably still have included this (Andrew will be able to clarify).

Depending on what you are after, you'll probably enjoy it but I wouldn't be surprised if a few months down the track you find yourself hankering after an ELC or Aces High one, so maybe it might be worth having a good think and if you think this might be the case, saving your pennies and splashing out the extra dollars/pounds on one of these.

Cheers,

Tim

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The WPG jacket is based on a mid War Wareings design which would have had the elastic collar strap. I have a nr mint size 4 Irivn for sale if you would rather buy the real thing!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRVIN-FLI...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3f28dd82fa

I remember that one Andrew. Absolute minter!

There you go Polocoat, bugger the repros, go for the real thing if you're a 38 chest ;)

All this Irvin talk reminds me, I must take some photos of mine. It's looking pretty good now after 6 years of wear - if I do say so myself.

Last edited:

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Thanks Tim. I have since found a telephone number for WPG and will call them. As it is Labor Day they may not be open today but, I will try. I bought my first Irvin style jacket last year, it
was a beautiful ELC but, I found it to be extremely bulky and impractical for me; I ended up selling it. I would think any of the other high end jackets would be as bulky as the ELC so, I thought WPG may be my best choice. Comments?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Go for a D1 or a B6 instead? Something with a lighter fleece might be better suited to your needs. [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
OK so you've had an ELC then. Irvins by nature are bulky jackets and most people the first time baulk at the size the first time they try one on, it's the nature of the beast with sheepskin flying jackets of this age. By the sounds of it a B-6 or a D-1 might be up your alley. Worth considering if you want the sheepskin look but less "bulk".

EDIT - Sloan beat me to it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, when I first tried one on, I loved the sense of shutting out the elements that you get from an Irvin, but I can imagine it's not for everyone.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
After having worn Spitty's hand-me-down Aero Irvin through last winter, trust me, when it gets cold enough you just don't care how puffy you look. I didn't!!!!!

Worf

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Personally, when I first tried one on, I loved the sense of shutting out the elements that you get from an Irvin, but I can imagine it's not for everyone.

Craig, I can well imagine how an Irvin would for everyone, if everyone lived where you do - only a couple of degrees south of the Artic Circle. :D However, in my case, we are still within 1-2 degrees of triple digit heat. :flame: Once upon a time, I bought a really nice sheepskin hip length coat at Shepler's that stays in my closet most winters since it is too much trouble to take it out of its mothproof bag. Generally on rare occasions when a "Texas Blue Norther" blows through, and the temperature is below freezing with a 40 knot wind, I reach for my Cabella's goose down parka instead.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
How often do you get the Texas Blue Norther? That must catch everyone by surprise! The weather has got weird here. The winds have picked up, but the temperatures are sustaining, so it's a bit like being caught by a giant hairdryer. I'm moving back to my Dustbowl - removes the risk of soaking wet knits, you just can't trust the weather here - before shifting to the LHB next month.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
How often do you get the Texas Blue Norther? That must catch everyone by surprise! ...

I think the term "blue norther" applies to periodic, occasional winter weather patterns that occur specifically in the Great Plains where there are no mountains to break rapidly approaching cold fronts with mostly cold, dry air from the lee side of the Rocky Mountains. It is truly fascinating to experience 80 degrees at mid-day and 20-25 degrees with 40 knot wind 3-4 hours later, occasionally a blizzard!

On one occasion several years ago as I was driving from Dallas to NW Wyoming in early November, it was 72 degrees at 7:00 PM as I drove through Amarillo, which is in the Texas panhandle. By the time I reached Stratford, at the junction of NW Texas on the Oklahoma border 80 miles up the road, the temperature was under 20 degrees, and I was in a blizzard with 6" of snow already on the road and almost no visibility. One of the truckers at Stratford told me that I would likely run off the road and die of exposure if I didn't spend the night in Stratford! :eeek: :smow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Norther

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Please allow me to chip in, Polocoat. I have owned a WPG Irvin before - from the plastic area period. I have also owned a AERO Irvin. So I know about bulky jackets. The good thing about the WPG was it's flexibility. And the price. The bad thing was the rest: It's total lack of finish quality. (You get what you pay for)
The good thing about the AERO - and the ELC Irvins too, I am told - is the high quality of everything. The zips work. The fleece is right, the outside of the jacket is solid and have the right feel and look. And the ELC is closer to the original jackets than the AERO.

So what do I have now? I am the very happy owner of one of Jon's (Aces High) fantastic and bloody marvelous repro Irvins.
It is as original as it can be. Now even with a great repro Lightning zipper. It is not as heavy and bulky as my old AERO - and having once tried an original Irvin, I must say, that Aces High comes pretty close, when it comes to weight and bulkyness.
Absolutely worth a look!

polocoat

One of the Regulars
I have followed your posts for some time and enjoyed your comments concerning your journey from WPG to Aces High. Would love the Aces High but, I really got turned off by the bulkiness of the only jacket I've tried on - the ELC. How does the ELC compare/contrast with the Aces High as far as bulkiness? Thanks for your comments.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am afraid, I can not really comment on that. I have never tried on a ELC Irvin. So it might be unfair to ELC.
Only seen and touched them in their tent at at Flying Legends (Duxford).
My honest guess is that Aces High are made of softer material than the ELC of today. And being that, the Aces High is not as stiff/bulky.
Mine isn't. That's for sure. It's huge - yes. It's warm - absolutely! (I almost never zips it all the way up)
But I can also easily bend my arms and get in and out of the narrow cockpit - that's my car, I am talking about.
Besides that it's breaking in ever so nicely after one year of heavy use and wear.
One of these days, I'll post some new pics in the Repro Irvin thread, so you can see what I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy