Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What specific hair products did men use in the 30's, 40's, and 50's?

vintageclassic

New in Town
I know pomade was a norm, but aside from pomade what other products did men use?

I watch a lot of classic films and see men that have their hair slicked and in place, yet it isn't shiny or greasy. This is most noticeable in certain color film from the 1940's. I've just always wondered what all they would use, creams, tonics?

Personally I've been using Black & White for a long time now. Most women I've met love the look but don't like the greasiness when they want to run their fingers through the hair. I for one don't plan on changing the pomade I use but was curious about other options.

This is the hairstyle I go for on a daily basis. I've tried a few tonics in the past but they just don't have any hold.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
If you don't like the greasiness Pomade, you can try Brylcreem, or Vitalis.

I've never used Vitalis, but I use Brylcreem everyday, and I love it. One thing to take note of, is that in order to get good hold with Brylcreem (probably Vitalis too), is that you can't use shampoo more than once a week (I stopped using shampoo altogether; I only use shampoo before getting a haircut now.) You need to let it build up in your hair. This allows it to get a stronger hold, and you don't have to use as much. After it builds up, you will have a hair product which is the strength of a mid-strength pomade, but which is nowhere as greasy as pomade.

I think Vitalis is even less greasy than Brylcreem, but I've never used it. I assume that you also need to let it build up in your hair to work best.

I hope this post helps! :)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I don't think pomade was that popular. Vitalis and Wildroot Cream Oil were favorites. If you look at some old magazine ads there may be others.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The terms "pomade," "hair tonic," "hair cream" and "hair dressing" were catchall descriptions for a plethora of diverse products. At certain times pomade had some specific connotations. It was definitely associated, to some degree, with Latino and African American culture. Although some of this was down to marketing. For instance, Butch Wax and Brylcreem were marketed to White consumers. Whereas, vintage Royal Crown and Sweet Georgia Brown adds almost always feature Black people. In the 1950s, a lot of White musicians Southern, like Elvis and Johnny Cash for instance, became known for using "Black" hair products to produce their iconic hairstyles. There's actually a lot of socioeconomic and cultural history around these hair products. Personally, I've always thought Brylcreem was for squares. I'm a Sweet Georgia Brown man.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I believe most men didn't use pomade or similar hair products at all. My dad was born in 1937. He told me that guys using pomade were regarded as square in the early 50s. Most men just used water to comb back the hair. I believe our perception is somewhat distorted by movies and musicians. Pics of normal people seldom show greasy Hollywood hair. Remember that people did not use modern hair shampoo. They either used soap or baking soda and did not wash their hair every day. Maybe once a week. This keeps the hair in a much better shape. I used pomade for decades because without it my hair was fuzzy after washing it and wouldn't stay when I combed it back. Since I started using baking soda and stopped washing my hair every day my hair has become much healthier. Not dry nor fuzzy, not greasy either and it stays when I comb it back. These days I only use the tiniest amount of a light pomade just after washing. Apart from that, none at all.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What sort of stuff would be good to give a slight shine, good hold but greaseless feel to wavy/curly hair? My hair is much like my grandfather's (picture below). Water alone won't keep my hair back, and Brylcreem when applied holds the hair but makes it go straight. I'm looking for something that has all of the above qualities, but still lets my hair have it's natural curl after application, like the photo below of my grandfather:

1969_Driver_License_Photo_2.png

mra_id.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Wash only once a week. Use baking soda to wash, let it sit a minute, then rinse and condition hair with apple vinegar, then rinse again. When half dry apply a very tiny amount of light pomade such as Royal Crown Hair Dressing, Murray's Super Light or Dax SuperGro and comb to desired style. On non-washing days just wet your hair a bit and comb back. Works for me.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was growing up in the 1950's very few people had showers in their bathrooms, so you took a bath once a week and washed your hair then. In the New York area Brylcream was the most common pomade, but it was largely considered rather declasse: mostly for "juvenile delinquents" and "greasers" (not an ethnic slur).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Poppy oil was used down here back in the day but generally products were frowned on. You don't need them if you only wash your hair every week or two. Just a wet comb and done. I personally don't like having hair longer than a number 4 buzz. Solves all hair issues.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone else remember VAM?

V is for vegetable, A is for animal, M is for mineral

3 natural aids for healthy handsome hair

You used to hear this jingle on TV in the fifties.

Attachments

• 1_e38219ea3fe22d192cf528b46d7527bc.jpg
    1_e38219ea3fe22d192cf528b46d7527bc.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 11,910

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner