Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What The Heck!!! They can dream!!!

That's an LVC repro from about 1999/2000, right? I had one just like it. Note the missing pocket flap … That '99 repro had this feature, which I haven't seen described in originals with the leaf buttons. The Type I 506XX, like this vest below, would have a pocket flap, and also 5 buttons to the front.

LevisTypeI-1.jpg

For the record, I've been looking through this site and it would seem that for the duration of WWII, the pocket flap was dropped and the number of front buttons reduced to 4. Wheat sheaf buttons were used in late war examples.

This highlights the problems with exact reproductions. When the modern Levis tags are removed from the side seam, these are too closely reproduced to be able to tell the difference between originals and reproductions. The rear centre seam on this eBay one is an anomaly, and I would like to see some pictures of the selvage before I would pay crazy money for such a jacket. I'm unconvinced of the authenticity of this eBay jacket.

DamianM

Vendor
*the pocket flap

Yes the Levis red tab was added in 1936.

The donut buttons with leafs are not found in repros from my knowledge. Baron is right. Could be for the war effort they cut back on a few materials sending it to a 44button version with no pocket flap.

Still that number is insane.

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, and there was I thinking it was bad someone on eBay is trying to sell a twenty-five odd year old Highwayman (which really needs a relining) for the same price as a new one....

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Press too many zeros?

Hi

On an old militaria board, someone bought a Mae West Vest (inflatable emergency vest) for $9600 roughly. The bidding went 60, 65, 68, 70, 71, 76, 78, 80, 85, 8600, 8700, 8900, 9000, 9001, ... 9600. I wish I knew is Ebay let them slide on that one. $96.99 was supposed to be a good price. You Gotta watch those itty bitty dots.

Later

DamianM

Vendor
Hi

On an old militaria board, someone bought a Mae West Vest (inflatable emergency vest) for $9600 roughly. The bidding went 60, 65, 68, 70, 71, 76, 78, 80, 85, 8600, 8700, 8900, 9000, 9001, ... 9600. I wish I knew is Ebay let them slide on that one. $96.99 was supposed to be a good price. You Gotta watch those itty bitty dots.

Later

yes sometimes its a typo. its happened to me while posting on ebay. i put 25 but my placement was of and it spelled out 25,000 dollars.

The LVC late 90s Type I repro had donut wheat sheaf buttons. I sold one here, but took the images down. I might still have the images, I'll have a look around my HDs

The donut buttons with leafs are not found in repros from my knowledge. Baron is right. Could be for the war effort they cut back on a few materials sending it to a 44button version with no pocket flap.

DamianM

Vendor
The LVC late 90s Type I repro had donut wheat sheaf buttons. I sold one here, but took the images down. I might still have the images, I'll have a look around my HDs

Now I know.

Well then my suspicions could be that it is a repro. Not Original.
I mean these jackets where meant to be used and that's what people did.
They weren't for fashion. Raises a lot of suspicion.

Unused ones are not heard of. I've never seen one with a centre seam, but who knows what variants were around. It just looks too much like the LVC repro for me to be convinced by it.

I'd like to see the selvage, because LVC use a different selvage to originals. Here's the one I sold. I'm not certain exactly when i bought it, but I certainly wore it one notorious night of hallucinogens, New Years 2000/2001.

506XX-1.jpg

506XX-2.jpg

506XX-3.jpg

506XX-4.jpg

506XX-5.jpg

506XX-6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner