Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters
Then there's Tony DeFranco the Justin Bieber of his day. And like Bieber he was also Canadian. Coincidence? :p

[video=youtube;I3Iw2qYtN8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Iw2qYtN8A[/video]

Last edited:
Seasons in the Sun and The Night Chicago Died are both great songs. Still hear them on the oldies stations now and again.

Music from my Childhood, Part Deux lol

No, I have a lot of Classic Country CD's.

I'm not big on the long hair, but they did have some good songs.

Yeah, well, aside from memories, it stunk. :p

On you iPad?! What? You afraid of a Martian Attack? :p

Their greatest song?! They had great songs?! :rofl: Long haired hippies! :p

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (Think of the way Charlie Brown yelled this running around in circles with his hands up in the air. :p)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have only just seen this topic but have answered similar polls.
I have voted for 1959-69 because I have lived this period, really I would have liked to have voted for the 1970s.
My reason for voting this period is that as said I have lived it as a small child to a 10 year old. Personally I do not think you can realistically choose periods you have not lived as we all tend to cherry pick the good bits and ignore the bad things. All what we know about the other era's we hear second hand. As an example those that pick 1939-45 may like strutting around in a nice old leather jacket but but would you really like to travel back to that time if you could be killed the next day. The 1950s may have been great in the USA but in Great Britain Rock n Roll was fantastic but what young man relished the idea of National Service or what wife or mother thought that rationing(still n force long after WWII had ended) was ok.
So, in a nutshell, realistically the 1960s, but I would cherry pick the best bits of the 1950s.
J

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Seasons in the Sun and The Night Chicago Died are both great songs. Still hear them on the oldies stations now and again..
My condolances:p

Didn't like the '70's the first time around.

When the other youngsters were hoppin' and boppin to the "Crocodile Rock" and "Proud Mary", I was enjoying Yerkes' S. S. Flotilla Dance Orchestra:

[video=youtube_share;KAOsdDxxcJo]http://youtu.be/KAOsdDxxcJo[/video]

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
and Ted Lewis:

[video=youtube_share;z5dB34d_8Ck]http://youtu.be/z5dB34d_8Ck[/video]

Of course, I realize that the above are merely evanescent dance tunes, and are not in the same class with , say Gene Goldkette, Fletcher Henderson, Paul Whiteman or Duke Ellington, but they are pleasant, well crafted tunes, and are entirely free of that dratted electric guitar

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Have to be around in the era when the Stratoliners were flying. Otherwise I would have voted for 1901-14 when I could have traveled to Paris and picked up ALL of the paintings I could carry home from the Impresionists!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Have to be around in the era when the Stratoliners were flying. Otherwise I would have voted for 1901-14 when I could have traveled to Paris and picked up ALL of the paintings I could carry home from the Impresionists!

Great idea.
It would be my luck I'd get a few, sail back to the US, and some one would spill something on them.
Then I'd have to wait until the 40's and explain them away as "Pollocks." :D

I agree that cherry picking a decade could cause problems. I think we all remember most of the good, while forgetting some of the bad. I remember the clothes of the 70's and a lot of them were hot because of polyester.
Television was okay but there weren't that many great shows. And car designs weren't the best.
All in all though, I remember fondly some of the fads, the music, and some of the food items we can't get now (soft drinks with real sugar, grape tang, and tart drink called Wink).

Last edited:

Take back plenty of dough man. A flight on the Stratoliner would cost you the equivalent of 12Gs today. Drink lots of free drinks and eat lots of free food. :p The paintings would be much cheaper than the ride. :p

Great idea.
It would be my luck I'd get a few, sail back to the US, and some one would spill something on them.
Then I'd have to wait until the 40's and explain them away as "Pollocks." :D

I agree that cherry picking a decade could cause problems. I think we all remember most of the good, while forgetting some of the bad. I remember the clothes of the 70's and a lot of them were hot because of polyester.
Television was okay but there weren't that many great shows. And car designs weren't the best.
All in all though, I remember fondly some of the fads, the music, and some of the food items we can't get now (soft drinks with real sugar, grape tang, and tart drink called Wink).

The clothing! Oh the clothing!:doh:

I think I had one of the blue shirts! It was hot, itchy and I just had to get rid of it! It even made my eyes hurt looking at it.
Then there was this!:

Yes folks Mr. Furley was a real man in the 1970s....
images

"Please Ralph! Dress like a human!" :rofl:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
In our household, it was more Western wear and denim for me.
We didn't go for all that paisley stuff.
And I don't remember any of our clothes having flowers of any kind.
There were a lot of yellows and lime greens though.
Oh and brown. *yucky*
Like my tough skins.
I did have a leisure suit, but I was 6 at the time. That's my excuse.
One thing I never figured out was the fascination with owls.
We had pictures of them, pillows with their image, etc.
But so did other neighbors.
Very odd.

In our household, it was more Western wear and denim for me.
We didn't go for all that paisley stuff.
And I don't remember any of our clothes having flowers of any kind.
There were a lot of yellows and lime greens though.
Oh and brown. *yucky*
Like my tough skins.
I did have a leisure suit, but I was 6 at the time. That's my excuse.
One thing I never figured out was the fascination with owls.
We had pictures of them, pillows with their image, etc.
But so did other neighbors.
Very odd.

The fashion faux pas of the time were numerous. :doh:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Like women having large wooden purses?
My mother and neighbors had them.
One neighbor had one painted like a country barn, same shape and all.
Dern thing must have weighed several pounds....empty!
And those tweed looking rugs. We had 2 of those, can't remember the name though, they were oval.
I do know to get one nowdays, retro, is really expensive.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
There are quite a few words I'd use to describe my feelings about the 70s--"endured" and "survived" come to mind--but "loved" would be used very sparingly. lol

Dynomite?
Groovy?
Cool Beans?

Are those the words? :D
I endured some of it too, even as a kid.
In looking back at photos from back then, apparently mock turtle necks were in style too.
I had one, but that appears to be it, maybe I didn't like them who knows?
Hounds tooth was a fad as well.
I like some of the hounds tooth colors, especially a burnt orange and black blazer I saw on Bewitched.
Very nice combo, or Far Out. :D

Like women having large wooden purses?
My mother and neighbors had them.
One neighbor had one painted like a country barn, same shape and all.
Dern thing must have weighed several pounds....empty!
And those tweed looking rugs. We had 2 of those, can't remember the name though, they were oval.
I do know to get one nowdays, retro, is really expensive.

Wooden purses are like miniature barns anyway. :p
Ugly can be expensive when you fool the populace. Look at all the 70s clothing. Some of it was expensive back then---no matter how stupid it made you look. Brooks Brothers made Leisure suits for goodness sake. :doh:

Dynomite?
Groovy?
Cool Beans?

Are those the words? :D
I endured some of it too, even as a kid.
In looking back at photos from back then, apparently mock turtle necks were in style too.
I had one, but that appears to be it, maybe I didn't like them who knows?
Hounds tooth was a fad as well.
I like some of the hounds tooth colors, especially a burnt orange and black blazer I saw on Bewitched.
Very nice combo, or Far Out. :D

The 70s---a time when men could dress like a psychedelic peacock. :doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn