Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to do with old comic books and popular science magazines.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I just rescued a stack of old 50s kids comics and popular science type magazines. the comix are suff like mickey mouse, and mischievious kids etc. I doubt any of them are all that rare, first issue, nor mint condition. Does anyone know if they have much value? i will try to sell them, and if they are not worth anything, give them away.

As for the magazines, I am sure a few are worth five or ten bucks due to the car feature, or other interesting article. but I sure am not going to post all fifty or so to hope for a few sales. they are also kind of musty. But what should I do with them. they are from the late forties and early fifties. Probably too heavy to be worth shipping, but I don't want to just scrap them. Anyone interested in them. maybe a local guy. they are bunch of science, and other popular tech type stuff with articles on cars, tech, one on fighter planes etc. pretty cool.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I figure someone might want them for some such artsy crafty project. Hopefully that will not earn the scorn of those posting on the abominations to vintage thread.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, unless there is a rare one in the bunch, they seem, from ebay, to be worth about a buck each. this is what you would probably see at an antique mall too, maybe two bucks. They probably bring the price you can get someone to pay just to grab something they remember from childhood or think is kind of fun. i don't think there is anything here all that collectable.

As for thee magazines, if no one local on this forum wants them, they will go next to craigslist free section.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Is there a Children's Home & Aid center near you? They'd probably love them-

Vornholt said:
Can you post pictures of a few of the more interesting looking magazine covers?

The kids would love having them.

Zip Gun Aria

New in Town
I have the same problem, actually. Mine are from a great uncle and I've kept them in my mother's house for years. Some are EC comics; a few are from the 40s.

I'd love to sell them, but in my experience, comic book collectors are often unwilling to acknowledge a thing's true value. I'd love to correspond with collector(s) who are fair and not simply trying to trick me into making a bad deal.

kidzcare

New in Town
It depends how much you build passion for comics. One of better ideas is to reuse them to create one. I use comics for teaching my kids about many things like medical issues, disease awareness for kids. Not only this some of them engage themselves to create comic from old ones.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Old magazines tend to be cut apart for old advertisements these days. I guess I'm okay with that (I have several framed ads myself, but I have never cut up a magazine), but I like to see them scanned in their entirety first.

I can remember when '40s and '50s National Geographic magazines were everywhere for pennies or free, now they're all gone, probably for the advertisements.

-Dave

MPicciotto

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
I just rescued a stack of old 50s kids comics and popular science type magazines. the comix are suff like mickey mouse, and mischievious kids etc. I doubt any of them are all that rare, first issue, nor mint condition. Does anyone know if they have much value? i will try to sell them, and if they are not worth anything, give them away.

As for the magazines, I am sure a few are worth five or ten bucks due to the car feature, or other interesting article. but I sure am not going to post all fifty or so to hope for a few sales. they are also kind of musty. But what should I do with them. they are from the late forties and early fifties. Probably too heavy to be worth shipping, but I don't want to just scrap them. Anyone interested in them. maybe a local guy. they are bunch of science, and other popular tech type stuff with articles on cars, tech, one on fighter planes etc. pretty cool.

What you do is share with us the titles. Maybe make a listing of the titles available in the Classifieds with what you'd like to get for them. Lots of comic collectors (myself included) look for bulk purchases since the shipping via Priority Mail on 1 comic or 10 is the same. If we can buy a WHOLE BUNCH from one seller then the seller is rid of the books he doesn't want and the comic collector being the collecting type will patiently trade or sell the ones he doesn't want for the ones he does to fill out the collection.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner