Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brother, there's an entire thread devoted to "hats and hawaiian shirts." If people can pull that off (and boy do they!), there is NO reason you can't pull off the "fedora with jeans" look.

I rarely wear dress pants here on campus for fear of staining them (I'm a messy writer and my favorite pens are fountain pens lol), so I always wear jeans.

There's also another one with Hoodies.

One Too Many
2194503260106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Jeans, leather jacket and stetson firenze, like in my good times¡¡¡¡¡¡

kyboots

Practically Family
Well! Might as well add my two cents. I wear jeans all the time, even to work now with a good pair of cowboy boots or engineers and a fedora. Don't get restarted on the cost of jeans! Never really gave it much thought about the thin ribbon or not with the more casual look, but it does work. RBH, really loved seeing the Silverbelly Campdraft with jeans. I want that hat!!. John

T Rick

Practically Family
RBH, that is a great hat (it's an Akubra Campdraft?). I see one vendor has them in stock in my size in a limited color, Bluegrass Green. Thinking seriously about that one, does anyone have a pic of the Akubra (any style) in Bluegrass Green? The "swatch" on the website is sort of hard to judge.

T Rick

Practically Family
Here you go, T Rick:

Thanks Jimmy, that's a beauty! Okay, it's an Akubra Campdraft I'm sure, is that the Bluegrass Green? Really looks like that might also be the answer for my question on the brown A2 and the Peacoat, it'd look fantastic with the latter, and pretty good too I think with the former. Is this the hat you're wearing in the group shot in front of the waterfall?

Looks like another Detroiter too, I guess we've got a few reps here? :cool2:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
First of all, welcome to the Lounge, T Rick. Yup, there are a few Motowners here...;)

Yes -- that is a bluegrass green Campdraft. The lid I am wearing in the waterfall shot is an early 50's blue/gray Open Road.

Cheers,
JtL

email68

One of the Regulars
Thats funny I found this thread. I just joined the forum today and was wondering the same thing. I just recently purchased my first fedora, a wool Indiana Jones Dorfman Pacific on ebay. Now that I'm researching it a bit more, I wish I would have purchased a better hat, at least with a liner.

I only wear jeans and t-shirts. I do feel compelled to wear my coat with the hat though. I don't know how I'm going to make it through Summer! lol

-Tim

JellyBellyRegan.jpeg

T Rick

Practically Family
Hi Tim, and welcome to TFL (from another Noob). After reading through a lot of threads here, I've discovered that a lot of folks do wear a Fedora with both jeans and a t shirt. Seems to be no hard and fast rule (other than to wear a hat! :D).

Just got my first in, a black stingy brim vintage from Bond Fifteen (an eBay find). Wore it last night, to positive reviews. But I definitely prefer more brim. Hopefully, my Campdraft will appear this week! But if not, I just scored a Stetson Open Road in Silverbelly, and it was mailed yesterday :cool2:.

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome. I'm learning a lot just going through the old threads here.

Needed a new hobby anyway ;-)

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I wear a fedora with jeans all the time. This last summer, before I had a good fur felt hat, I would wear my Indy clone and I got lots of compliments. Lots of them! I usually wear golf shirt/hawaiian shirts and jeans, bots or deck shoes. Again, as so many have said..wear whatever YOU are comfortable with! People may think you are excentrict, but one thing is for sure, they WILL remember you as someone who walked with the self assurance of being comfortable wth yourself. Good luck, and oh BTW, Henry the Hatter has lots of sales right now, so you might want to see Paul down there before venturing out on ebay!

T Rick

Practically Family
I wear a fedora with jeans all the time. This last summer, before I had a good fur felt hat, I would wear my Indy clone and I got lots of compliments. Lots of them! I usually wear golf shirt/hawaiian shirts and jeans, bots or deck shoes. Again, as so many have said..wear whatever YOU are comfortable with! People may think you are excentrict, but one thing is for sure, they WILL remember you as someone who walked with the self assurance of being comfortable wth yourself. Good luck, and oh BTW, Henry the Hatter has lots of sales right now, so you might want to see Paul down there before venturing out on ebay!

Thanks! I've been to Henry's, sepent a bit of time there (I think I mentioned it later in this thread). Almost bought a nice Selentino Sterling (normally $135, on sale at $99). But I wanted to wade through eBay and other shopping first.

I've ended up with my first (a Bond Fifteen stingy, looks a lot like the Motown Lux or the Stefano Detroit shown on Henry's site, but it is vintage and a nice fur felt). Also have two other hats on the way, a Bluegrass Green Akubra Campdraft and a vintage (or not?) Stetson Open Road in Silverbelly. Both should be here this week. Still, there was a beautiful green hat in the window at Henry's that i keep thinking back to.... (Yep, looks like I've gathered another new "addiction" :D).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24