Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

cyamamot

New in Town
The next one I was thinking of getting was an Indiana Jones licensed hat which seem to be about 30 bucks. Other than that, i'm looking into a more casual go to hat that's wool felt and not as expensive at this first hat i have.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
You probably don't want to go for a wool felt, or a licensed Indy hat, as you will most definitely be disappointed. The best idea would be to stalk ebay for a while. There are all sorts of great hats for cheap (I generally don't go above 35 or so), if you are really patient.

cyamamot

New in Town
I do have to say after purchasing the Stetson Inwood, wool feels really rough, and i've been told wool felt is not very weather resistant and tends to deform quite easily. Is this all true from first hand experience maybe?

Also, are there a few good brands to look for? I know Dobbs, Stetson, and Borsolino are like the top of the top of things.

I've heard a few good things about stacy adams

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I do have to say after purchasing the Stetson Inwood, wool feels really rough, and i've been told wool felt is not very weather resistant and tends to deform quite easily. Is this all true from first hand experience maybe?

Also, are there a few good brands to look for? I know Dobbs, Stetson, and Borsolino are like the top of the top of things.

Take heed, wool can look nice until it gets wet. They can get all bumpy and shrink up. They tend to be harder to get back in shape, as least that has been my experience. Yes they are normally cheap to buy, but as suggested just keep your eye on places like ebay or even here on the classifieds, and eventually you will come across something your style, size and color that will make you a happy camper. Keep in mind, you have been bitten by the hat bug...it can grow on you...may give you the urge to buy another....then another....and so on...it happens, but all in all, it is fun!

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Wool will shrink very easily. As previously mentioned, Resistol is a good brand. Of course, thrift stores or garage/estate sales will land you great hats. I got a Cavanagh for 50 cents. Some hats may not have a brand, but will be nice, I also have one of those. Keep an eye out on the 'bay and locally.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Here is a photo of my hat that i promised.

I think im getting the idea of what formal and casual is now with hats being quite new to this world of clothing. I do have a peacoat, so when it gets colder out, im thinking of wearing it with that.

Stetson_Inwood.jpg
Nice hat...good catch!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The next one I was thinking of getting was an Indiana Jones licensed hat which seem to be about 30 bucks. Other than that, i'm looking into a more casual go to hat that's wool felt and not as expensive at this first hat i have.

Don't do it. They're not good quality, being wool. If you want an Indy style hat, the best for the least expense is an Akubra Federation IV. See hatsdirect.com.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Save your money and spend it on Fur Felt hats . Stay away from wool, you will be throwing good money after bad. As for Stacey Adams, they make shoes, so their hats are made by someone else and re-branded. For one of the BEST modern factory made hats made today, you CANNOT beat Akubra! Again, wool NO, fur felt YES :)

Allen

New in Town
Blue jeans and a button-down shirt are about as casual as I go when it comes to adding a hat to the ensemble. If it's not blue jeans it's either chinos or slacks, but I have never seen a combination involving a T-shirt that I like. I'll do a polo, but a T-shirt is just going too far. I guess it brings an image to my mind of all these punk kids walking around nowadays with those trilby-like abominations that have pinstripes or skulls, or even piercings in the brim. *shudder*

cyamamot

New in Town
Haha its funny you mentioned the skulls on the trilby fedora, the first one i Officially got was a cloth one from walmart that had a skull on it. It is definitely 100% crushable after how many times people attempt to steal it, but it was only 10 bucks and not what i count as a first hat. I definitely wanted to get something nice, but looks like i started too nice, which isnt a bad thing looks like. I'll check those brands out. I do have to say i think i've caught the hat bug too!

Brian Stahl

New in Town
I think you can wear a fedora with just about any outfit. Just don't dress like a bum and be sure to match your colors. Only a panama hat is appropriate with shorts and a T-shirt...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I just bought a couple of Off white Henley shirts like the old underwear shirts men used to wear. I haven't worn them out much yet, but they would like the scene in "The Green Mile" where the Wild Bill kills the two girls. Not exactly a scene to emulate, but the clothing looks like it is from our era.

Later

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Today I wore a pair of dungarees, a polo shirt (tucked in - with a leather belt), a gray wool fedora (one of the Jaxon cheap-o styles), and leather boat shoes (no socks). Of course, it's 85 degrees here in South Florida, and I work in a law office where the boss wears torn jeans and sandals. Let's just say I'm considered formal when I get in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy