Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a fedora....

RJR

This is a subject which has been discussed many times here n the FL. Most of us don a fedora when we walk out of the house, no matter what we're wearing.

Look through the What Hat are You Wearing Today thread for a few days' posts. You'll find we pair our hats with pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
When I go out of the house, I have a hat on my head. Partly because I like the look, but also for sun and weather protection. I worked for decades in suits and chose hat colors to go with them so I accumulated a number of hats. Now, I am often in a decent button shirt or a light jacket similar to the one in your photo.

But the key to confidently wearing a hat is to just do it. Get what works for you and boldly wear it

Most of us have received mixed feedback, but my own experience is between 80 - 90% favorable - especially with the hats which we have worked to fit us best. Before retiring, I was known as "the Brim" in the building because people liked the way my hats - particularly the CampDrafts were shaped. Wore them with everything from jeans or tactical clothing to suits as work required.

As Nike says, "Just do it."

Fed

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Look through the What Hat are You Wearing Today thread for a few days' posts. You'll find we pair our hats with pretty much everything.
This is so true. Look at other threads under the 'Hats' title and see what members team their lids with. It's all about confidence, you do get comments, but just learn to tip your brim and smile, chances are, you'll get a smile back. I get far more remarks about my two tone spectator shoes than I do about my hat, and remember the words of Oscar Wilde: "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Wilde has another quip for those who might be derogatory towards you: "“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
I tend to buy more casual hats, traveller or trilbies. The most refined one is an Akruba Hampton imported from Australia. I wear a pair of jeans everyday and long sleeve t-shirts or sweater with a brown leather jacket. Nothing fancy Just casual.

When I wear more refined clothes, I usually put a straw hat on (on summer that is :) )

I would recommend a standard-traveller (felt)hat.

I tend to buy more casual hats, traveller or trilbies. The most refined one is an Akruba Hampton imported from Australia. I wear a pair of jeans everyday and long sleeve t-shirts or sweater with a brown leather jacket. Nothing fancy Just casual.

When I wear more refined clothes, I usually put a straw hat on (on summer that is :) )

I see this reference to a "traveller" hat. Yet I do not know what is being referred to. What makes a hat a "traveller" hat? Is it a roll-up?

I am considering buying my first true hat soon - I bought a few hats in 2011 but never wore them, lacking in confidence then and since lost them. I do not have an occupation (or even the opportunity) to wear a suit often.

I am curious as to what wear with your hat?

I am also asking for an opinion - could this jacket work with a gray fedora?
890003_Camel

5446021688_ddd0659a36_o.jpg

Hans Albers end of story!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I am considering buying my first true hat soon - I bought a few hats in 2011 but never wore them, lacking in confidence then and since lost them. I do not have an occupation (or even the opportunity) to wear a suit often.

You can literally wear anything with anything, but I tend to not mix grays with earth tones.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

890003_Camel
Most certainly. Light, medium, or charcoal gray will all work. So would black or dark brown. Dunno about a light brown/tan hat, unless it was very light like silverbelly; I like some contrast between my hat and what I'm wearing below. (Then, of course, there are the times I say "never mind" and wear what I feel like!)

Jake Willis

New in Town
My usual dress is pretty casual. Jeans and T Shirt much of the time, jeans most of the time. Wondering if the "typical" Fedora hat is too dressy for jeans? I often do move to a silk shirt (Nat Nast typically) for evenings out, would the shirt, jeans and a hat work in most folk's opinion?

Any suggestions/recommendations for a good hat to start with (price range under $100, better yet if around $50 so I could get two colors, one for black or blue shirts and one for earth tones). Suggestions?

I did actually just buy my first "Fedora" style hat, but it's not really thought of as one I think. It's a Filson Tin Cloth Packer hat (oil cloth). It's more for inclement weather, and I think may go well with my goatskin A2 (current issue) flight jacket, and be okay for wearing outside in Michigan's Winter.
I'd say jeans aren't an issue, but a button down shirt looks better with a fedora. To me, the plain t shirt makes a fedora look out of place, like wearing nice slacks with a tank top and tennis shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff