Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What We Wore & Bathing Suits Through the Years

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
From "West Magazine" by the Los Angeles Times

http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/fashion/la-125fashion-pg,0,6619504.photogallery

http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/fashion/la-125fashion_bikini-fl,0,6636828.flash

You Saw it Here First - http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/fashion/la-125fashionfirst102206,0,2563030.story

Extracted from "What We Wore"

1950s: Most schools banned jeans until the ’70s

Can you imagine that? MOST of the time, that's all I see girls wearing! Nothing against jeans, though. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
happyfilmluvguy said:
Can you imagine that? MOST of the time, that's all I see girls wearing! Nothing against jeans, though. :)

Yep, jeans were banned in my school until I was in the fourth grade, I think -- around 1972 -- and then they were only allowed on gym days. (Girls in my school weren't allowed to wear any kind of pants until I was in the second grade.)

You don't wanna see what we actually had to wear for gym class -- anyone here remember those one-piece bloomer things?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Yep, jeans were banned in my school until I was in the fourth grade, I think -- around 1972 -- and then they were only allowed on gym days. (Girls in my school weren't allowed to wear any kind of pants until I was in the second grade.)

You don't wanna see what we actually had to wear for gym class -- anyone here remember those one-piece bloomer things?

Wow! Where did you go to school, Lizzie?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those bloomers! I was small and very thin and was swallowed up in them. Not my favorite class.
Boys were finally allowed to wear flares but not jeans. Later girls were alllowed to wear pants but not jeans. I was allowed to wear a scooter skirt, though, which I still own and like most of my clothes my grandmother made.
The public school is right around the corner from my house. :eek:fftopic: Then why are there school buses picking up children on my street?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Dottie said:
Wow! Where did you go to school, Lizzie?

A little Maine town of about 1700 people called Searsport -- the school where I went to kindergarten and first grade was built at the turn of the century and always had a very conservative administration. Boys sat on one side of the room, girls sat on the other, and dress codes were strictly enforced. And if you got out of line, you'd be sat on a stool in the corner wearing a baby bonnet.

(Amazing I'm not more messed up as an adult than I am!)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Since my mom attended high school during the 50s, I wasn't allowed to wear jeans to school until my freshman year. My mom had said, "It isin't proper". During the 2 years I was in junior high school in a large city (1972 & 1973), jeans were getting to be THE THING to wear. All the popular kids wore them. My mom sewed a lot (we didn't have a lot of extra money growing up) and would make me double knit pants. She also made the hems so short that they looked like ("high water pants"--anyone remember that phrase?). I would sit in class and point my shoes up into the bottoms of my pants and try to stretch them out, but they usually snapped back to their original length by the time I had walked to my next class. Those were such awkward days for me because I never fit in with everyone else.

LizzieMaine, I wore those bloomer-type suits for gym class in junior high. The older girls wore a blue button-down-the-front cotton jumpsuit. It looked like a short sleeve top with attached shorts. I wore the newest style, an ugly tan and black stripe top attached to tan shorts, but with a zipper and the fabric was, of course, double knit! The next year we moved to another school district and gym attire was navy shorts and a white t-shirt--no more uniforms!

Ccc

New in Town
No Jeans

I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona in the 1960's, so you would think that wearing jeans to school would be okay, but not in my school. It was only okay during "Rodeo Week", then we would proudly wear our jeans and cowboy boots. We looked so cute and tried to keep our jeans clean, while the boys would tease us about wearing pants...life was so difficult!!:)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
:(

It's disappointing and interesting to think that jeans were out of line and now they're far straight across it. I imagine an entire closet full of denim. Too many folks don't wear dresses or anything of the sort. And if it is a dress, it's up to their thighs! :)eusa_doh: ) I feel sorry if they fell down while wearing a dress up to their thighs.

Any comments about the articles?

I have the physical magazine issue, that's how I found this out.

I think I know what you're talking about. I have this image and seem to remember seeing something similar. Maybe it's a bathing suit I'm thinking of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters