Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What winter jacket did General Patton wear?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I wasn't clear whether to put my query here or in the OUTERWEAR forum.

I have seen photographs of George Patton where he wears an "Ike" jacket. But in winter he wore what appears to be some sort of sheepskin jacket. As far as I know, excluding the Army Air Corps, the US Army issued no sheepskin jackets. Being a general officer, though, Patton could have probably worn a lamp shade without anyone making a fuss.

What was the winter jacket Patton wore?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Let the identificationating begin!

aa_patton_subj_e.jpg

Credit: U.S. Army Signal Corps. "George Patton as Lt. General." March 30, 1943. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Having not seen the picture(s) your talking about, I cant say for sure, but I wouldnt be surprised if he wore a B-3. Being one of the top US Generals it wouldnt have been hard for him to procure one. Montgomery wore a sheepskin himself, an Irvin he got somewhere along the line from the RAF.

EDIT: lol, Mr. Bern, you posted that as I was writing this, looks like I was correct.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
HA HA HA!

Naphtali said:
....Patton could have probably worn a lamp shade without anyone making a fuss.....

Good one! Patton was quite the snappy dresser. I'm pretty sure ivory handled six shooters weren't standard issue either - 3 star general or not.

It seems to me I've seen pictures other American Tankers wearing similar sheepskin lined jackets to that one in the picture. The USAAF issued a sheepskin other then the B-3 at some point during WWII if I'm not mistaken. Maybe it's that one?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I cannot see the ends of Patton's cuffs. Could he be wearing a B-4 or B-6? It appears, perhaps, too bulky for a B-4. But the B-4 doesn't have exposed wool at the bottom either? So I guess it is a B-3?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
Yes, a modified B-3 (eppaulettes etc). And look what the guy on the right is wearing!

Even Patton's tanker coveralls were modified w/ epaulettes!

In the Movie, George C Scott has a scene where he mused over a uniform he once designed. Green leather & gold buttons & Gold football helmet. Patton loved his flash.
2106428920_feba5335ff.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
lol lol lol
This guy looks like something from Flash Gordon!!!
Hillarious.

With all due respect to Patton, that is exactly what I thought lol

I think the B-3 and regulation helmet was a better way to go.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
MrBern said:
Let the identificationating begin!

aa_patton_subj_e.jpg

Credit: U.S. Army Signal Corps. "George Patton as Lt. General." March 30, 1943. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.

OK - this is a photo of Lt. General George S. Patton, Jr., Commander, II Corps, viewing troops south of El Guettar, Tunisia, 30 March 1943. Following Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa in November 1942, Patton had just been made Lieutenant General and placed in command of II Corps in Tunisia on 6 March 1943 following the American 'disaster' at the Kasserine Pass.

If Gen. Patton were to be a member of the FL, there are a few questions I would like to ask him...

Edward

Bartender
Do we have any close-ups? I'm not sure whether I'm seeing epaulettes on that B3, or simply the rank insignia attached to the shoulder of the jacket (painted on, maybe?). What I dont't see are the sticky-up, short flaps that the later B3s had to attach insignia to. If memory serves, some of the very earliest B3s had a full epaulette(?), so perhaps it is one of those. And, of course, as a general he could presumably afford to have one modified, as suggested.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward,

The modification is that the epaulettes (the 'sticky-up, short flaps') are removed from Gen. Patton's jacket, nothing added. Officers normally wore their 'pips' (or whatever they call them in the US) on the 'flaps. Perhaps the Lt. General is showing that one can't fit three stars on a small square flap... If you look carefully I think you will see that the stars are painted on.

There is a famous painting ('Bastogne') of him in the same jacket that is possibly taken from this painting.

Edward said:
Do we have any close-ups? I'm not sure whether I'm seeing epaulettes on that B3, or simply the rank insignia attached to the shoulder of the jacket (painted on, maybe?). What I dont't see are the sticky-up, short flaps that the later B3s had to attach insignia to. If memory serves, some of the very earliest B3s had a full epaulette(?), so perhaps it is one of those. And, of course, as a general he could presumably afford to have one modified, as suggested.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
MrBern said:

In the Movie, George C Scott has a scene where he mused over a uniform he once designed. Green leather & gold buttons & Gold football helmet. Patton loved his flash.

Look at Patton's background. Back in his day, the French were looked at as cavalry experts. A lot of the US cavalry officers had attended the French cavalry school at Samur. If you're designing your uniform with that tradition in mind, the French cavalry uniforms of the 19th century were known for being flashy.

Cavalry uniforms of the 19th century from all European countries were flashy, with a capital F. They were the fighter pilots of the day. Especially light cavalry, Hussars, or Uhlans. Dolman jacket with elaborate braid, and a pelisse slung over the sword arm.

http://militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7552&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

German Life Hussars (Pre-WWI) Nice hats

http://www.3rdcuirassiers.org/outfitting/outfitting.htm

French Cuirassier (Napoleonic)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
MrBern said:

Look at Patton's background. Back in his day, the French were looked at as cavalry experts. A lot of the US cavalry officers had attended the French cavalry school at Samur. If you're designing your uniform with that tradition in mind, the French cavalry uniforms of the 19th century were known for being flashy.

Cavalry uniforms of the 19th century from all European countries were flashy, with a capital F. They were the fighter pilots of the day. Especially light cavalry, Hussars, or Uhlans. Dolman jacket with elaborate braid, and a pelisse slung over the sword arm.

http://militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7552&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

German Life Hussars (Pre-WWI)

http://www.3rdcuirassiers.org/outfitting/outfitting.htm

French Cuirassier (Napoleonic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails