Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would YOU do? (vintage magazines)

RetroToday

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Most saddle-stitched magazines (the kind with staples thru the back of the spine, like a comic book or a pamphlet) will lay reasonably flat without problems -- and usually there's enough of a bleed space at the edge of the page that any shadow can be cropped out of the scan. Perfect-bound magazines -- the sort with a square back and a glued-on cover -- are more difficult, but if they're not too thick, you can get a reasonable scan by very careful cropping as long as the page isn't too close to the middle of the magazine.

You'd have to get a very heavy book to hold a perfect bound book down and you might run the risk of cracking your scanner's glass bed.

In some cases, I found the only thing I could do to get a good image off of a perfect bound magazine or book was to take photos of the pages with my camera with a micro lense. I attached the camera to a copy stand and shot downwards to the book which I held open and flat with one hand.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
You'd have to get a very heavy book to hold a perfect bound book down and you might run the risk of cracking your scanner's glass bed.

In some cases, I found the only thing I could do to get a good image off of a perfect bound magazine or book was to take photos of the pages with my camera with a micro lense. I attached the camera to a copy stand and shot downwards to the book which I held open and flat with one hand.
I imagine if one had the wherewithal to do so, one could rig up a clamping device to hold pages flat. Professional photographers must have some trick they use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace