Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you tell your former self about ordering a custom Aero?

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Screenshot_20220127_103342.jpg
I would also second on the olive drab stitching

sshack

A-List Customer
I think this is closest to what I advice myself. "Don't. Ignore the haters and get a Schott instead. Or a Johnson Leathers. Or if you are into black leather, a Vanson." My Aeros get barely any wear because of how uncomfortably they rest on my neck. It feels exactly like when you're squatting with barbell on your back and it's positioned too high up your neck, so I am absolutely convinced the issue is with how they place the neckhole on their jackets. I'm no patternmaker or in any way qualified jacket designer but I assume jackets neck hole need to be cut out an inch or two lower into the back panel so it rests lower in your neck area.

edit: I do get compliments whenever I do wear my Aeros but I make sure it's occasions where I don't have to walk much..
Well said-- the neck pressure starts slow, but ends with vigor. Also, super heavy CXL horse is not the best choice for a comfortable fit. Stick with veg tanned.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lol, you put "leather jacket" into google and you get Ton. There has to be a way to monetize that...;)

Him and sometimes Mr Proper. They were born to model leather jackets.

Incidentally, it was the anti-Aero sentiment in this thread that led me to get multiple Aeros out of contrarianism, with happy results, so it's funny to see it back. :D

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Hey this my first post here. I've been absorbing the wealth of knowledge this forum has for a couple weeks and I've decided to pull the trigger and go for a custom Aero.

I have a couple fit concerns (I know, talk to Carrie), but if any of you have any words of wisdom on the process, I'd welcome them. What would you tell your former self?

I'm leaning towards about a Maxwell in Redwood Bainbridge. Maybe could be swayed to a Moonshiner but I haven't seen enough pictures to really convince me to take the risk.

Extra details, feel free to skip:
Liner-wise I'm more concerned about durability and aesthetics over warmth since I live in California. Chest 38", waist 30", lean profile, under 30 years. I'm coming from an unlined Schott 582 size small which has some room in the chest yet is still a tad restrictive on range of motion. Concerned about mobility since I ride (a bicycle haha) to work.
I would tell myself not to go with their Talon zippers. They're unbelievably flimsy and frustrating. Apparently they are starting to use a new type now that promise to make the wearer not want to jump off a bridge, so I'd definitely go with those.

Aloysius

I would tell myself not to go with their Talon zippers. They're unbelievably flimsy and frustrating. Apparently they are starting to use a new type now that promise to make the wearer not want to jump off a bridge, so I'd definitely go with those.

Is yours separating in wear?

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Is yours separating in wear?
I can't say, because just getting it to zip up at all is so frustrating that I don't even bother any more. It's a strictly "wear open" jacket, as far as I'm concerned. That said, all of the other Talon zips on the hand and D pocket work fine, but man oh man are the teeth sharp. Even after a year of daily wear and using those zippers thousands of times, putting your hand into those pockets is guaranteed to scrape the skin. It's annoying and somewhat painful, but I've just accepted it because I like the way the jacket looks and I'm an idiot.

Aloysius

I can't say, because just getting it to zip up at all is so frustrating that I don't even bother any more. It's a strictly "wear open" jacket, as far as I'm concerned. That said, all of the other Talon zips on the hand and D pocket work fine, but man oh man are the teeth sharp. Even after a year of daily wear and using those zippers thousands of times, putting your hand into those pockets is guaranteed to scrape the skin. It's annoying and somewhat painful, but I've just accepted it because I like the way the jacket looks and I'm an idiot.

One thing I’ve realized is that while on this server we usually highlight the size of these repro Talons (5) as the issue, I’ve noticed that my jacket with a deadstock 50s #5 Talon has no such issue. I think something is just faulty about the repro’s design.

Aero should make the YKK Universal their new default. There’s no drawback. Accurate repro puller, bulletproof modern operation.

MrProper

One thing I’ve realized is that while on this server we usually highlight the size of these repro Talons (5) as the issue, I’ve noticed that my jacket with a deadstock 50s #5 Talon has no such issue. I think something is just faulty about the repro’s design.

Aero should make the YKK Universal their new default. There’s no drawback. Accurate repro puller, bulletproof modern operation.
I only have the Talon on one jacket and the Universal on all the others. The Talon is a bit trickier, but not unusable. But if you have the choice, always opt for the Universal. It works more smoothly and threading is also easier.
I have never had a problem with a zip in size #5.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
I only have the Talon on one jacket and the Universal on all the others. The Talon is a bit trickier, but not unusable. But if you have the choice, always opt for the Universal. It works more smoothly and threading is also easier.
I have never had a problem with a zip in size #5.
When I had my jacket made in late 2022, I was told by Carrie at Thurston that Aero would only make their jackets with the Talon zippers in question. Was this not true?

MrProper

When I had my jacket made in late 2022, I was told by Carrie at Thurston that Aero would only make their jackets with the Talon zippers in question. Was this not true?
I always ordered directly from Aero and I had the choice between Talon and Universal. Except for the sheepskin jackets, where I could only choose the colour of the zip.
1703664870876.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner