Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What year was this photo taken?

KenCarsonCowgirl

New in Town
I hope this is the right forum in the Lounge to post this..(I'll hide behind the excuse that I'm new here).

I'm doing a research project on the fellow pictured here, Ken Carson. He was a singer from the 1930s until his death in 1994. I'm trying to figure out what year this was taken, the type of car (he owned a Packard roadster with a rumble seat and convertible top when he was in Hollywood in the 40s......is this the same car?
Since I'm new to the Golden Era and am still learning about the styles and terms used, any notes on what they're wearing, the names of the different clothing articles, etc would interest me. The picture was taken between 1939 and 1943, but I'd love to have an exact date!

photostream

Dolly

P.S. in the preview of this post it won't show the picture. So here's the URL:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88029866@N03/8052920622/in/photostream

if you right click the picture and select the highest resolution, you can see it up close in detail. I'm still trying to figure out who the woman is.....Ken's son swears it isn't his wife, and Ken's cousin swears that it isn't his mother, so I'm in a rut. *laugh*

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unfortunately, the photo only shows a "the red X", which would indicate that the photo did not upload properly. I use PhotoBucket as a "uploader" and it's worked fine for me for years on this forum. I see your URL now - I will access it there and get a look. -dixon cannon

m0nk

One Too Many
The Packard looks to be from 1939, as the 1938 and older models have the side vents in shorter sections, so I'd agree at least 1939 if the car were new. There does seem to be a little wear at the base of the top and along the bottom of the door, so it's more likely that it could be a few years after... not sure if that helps since you're looking to date it to the exact year...

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The hat and coat on the lady are definitely much earlier than the date of the photo -- no newer than 1935 or so. She is a woman of lesser means who doesn't worry too much about being in the latest fashions. She's probably not in show business as any kind of a performer, but she might be a fan.

The camera around Carson's neck is one of the early 35mm "candid cameras," which became popular in the late thirties.

KenCarsonCowgirl

New in Town
Oh boy! Thanks everybody! This is swell. M0nk: is that wear and tear on the car, or is it frost and snow? I was under the impression that it was just ice from one of those nasty Chicago winters.

And I guess I can't be sure that it was taken after 1939. That was something I guessed based on the fact that he didn't 'strike out on his own' on radio until 1941, but that's not necessarily a determining factor.

Is the building an apartment complex?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I remember Ken Carson when he was the boy singer on the old Garry Moore show, weekday mornings in the early 50s. The girl singer was Denise Lor. They were both great.

KenCarsonCowgirl

New in Town
Yep, Dhermann, that's my Ken! Finding archives of the Garry Moore Show is a task. There are few--oh, so very few!-- clips online if you dig a little, but most of the archives are in private or college collections, and I haven't been able to obtain any yet. Don't get me started. {grin} In the link on my signature there's a pretty big page I wrote on Ken Carson. At the moment I'm in the middle of rewriting that page--it's got so much error at the moment, I'm nearly ashamed of it! Amazing what a few months will do to uncover new facts and disprove 'known' ones.

If anybody has any other comments on the above photo, I'm eager to hear anything. I'm so brand-new to the Golden era that I'm fascinated with the littlest of details as I attempt to familiarize myself with the dress habits of that era (so I'll be able to spot '40's-ish' clothes at the thrift store). *laugh*

LizzieMaine, I find your insights on the circumstances of the woman particularly fascinating. I'm wondering if it isn't Bessie--Ken's mother--after all.
Oh boy, these responses have me all tickled pink. You folks are swell! I ask a question and bang! bang! bang! I've got a bunch of super-intriguing answers.

Along the same lines, this photo has got all us in the Western Music circles scratching our heads. Maybe you experts can help. What year do you suppose this was? We know absolutely nothing about the picture, except that it was probably taken in the mid thirties.

photostream

And since I can't preview on this fancy 'quick reply' feature, here's the link in case the photo doesn't show up *again*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88029866@N03/8061828080/in/photostream

Dolly

KenCarsonCowgirl

New in Town
*is upset that the pictures still aren't showing up*
Ought I to start a new thread? I have a few family pictures that we need dated, too. One in particular, of a woman in a dress and hat, that we'd love to pinpoint a date on......but if I can't figure out this picture thing.....oy vey!
I've gone through all the 'picture-posting-guidelines" thread, but I still can't get an image to go up. Shucks.

Dixon Cannon

Yep, Dhermann, that's my Ken! Finding archives of the Garry Moore Show is a task. There are few--oh, so very few!-- clips online if you dig a little, but most of the archives are in private or college collections, and I haven't been able to obtain any yet. Don't get me started. {grin} In the link on my signature there's a pretty big page I wrote on Ken Carson. At the moment I'm in the middle of rewriting that page--it's got so much error at the moment, I'm nearly ashamed of it! Amazing what a few months will do to uncover new facts and disprove 'known' ones.

If anybody has any other comments on the above photo, I'm eager to hear anything. I'm so brand-new to the Golden era that I'm fascinated with the littlest of details as I attempt to familiarize myself with the dress habits of that era (so I'll be able to spot '40's-ish' clothes at the thrift store). *laugh*

LizzieMaine, I find your insights on the circumstances of the woman particularly fascinating. I'm wondering if it isn't Bessie--Ken's mother--after all.
Oh boy, these responses have me all tickled pink. You folks are swell! I ask a question and bang! bang! bang! I've got a bunch of super-intriguing answers.

Along the same lines, this photo has got all us in the Western Music circles scratching our heads. Maybe you experts can help. What year do you suppose this was? We know absolutely nothing about the picture, except that it was probably taken in the mid thirties.

Here is that image:
UnknownBand.jpg

And since I can't preview on this fancy 'quick reply' feature, here's the link in case the photo doesn't show up *again*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88029866@N03/8061828080/in/photostream

Dolly

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

*is upset that the pictures still aren't showing up*
Ought I to start a new thread? I have a few family pictures that we need dated, too. One in particular, of a woman in a dress and hat, that we'd love to pinpoint a date on......but if I can't figure out this picture thing.....oy vey!
I've gone through all the 'picture-posting-guidelines" thread, but I still can't get an image to go up. Shucks.

Dolly, here is a screenshot of what the mask should look like when you load the URL from your photo program (I use PhotoBucket). I delete the 'IMG' off each end and then you must click the "From URL" box and 'uncheck' the "Retrieve Remote File..." box. Then you hit 'OK' and that should load the image into your comments. Try, try again! -dixon cannon

FLImageUpload.jpg
FLImageUpload-1.jpg

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
8061828080_b9b036c319_c.jpg

The URL must have a .jpg at the end of it. So in this case I right clicked on the red X in your post above the click on properties and copied the url that you had put in the image url box.. An went to the Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/88029866@N03/8061828080/in/photostream
From there I right clicked on the image and went to the view all sizes in right click. I then clicked on the 800 pixels size. The I right clicked on the Image and in properties I selected and copied the url then pasted it into the image posting dialog box dixie explained.

KenCarsonCowgirl

New in Town
Mebbe that's what I'm doing wrong. I just put the image page URL in the box, when I ought to have put the image URL.

Trying again: We now ought to see an undated photo of a great-great-great aunt of mine, and we'd love to get a year on this.
8131909416_be8c099298_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran