Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Cooking for Your Holiday Dinner?

fleur

One of the Regulars
Oooh toad in the hole. We actually had that the other night funnily enough. I like to put wholegrain mustard in my batter.

For Christmas Dinner we are having organic turkey with organic chipolatas wrapped in bacon, hasselback potatoes, parsnips, peas, baby carrots, brussels, cabbage and madeira gravy along with home made sage and onion stuffing and chestnut stuffing.

My god - typing all that made me feel full!!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Pavlova! *drool*

Being now a former veggie I will be eating traditional Christmas fare for the first time in many years. Not too much meat though as I am still not so sure about it. Let's see...

Starter - all the nibbles I can manage

Main:
Organic Roast Turkey
Pigs in blankets
roast potatoes
roast parsnips
Sprouts (even though I dislike them I have to have one or two, it's Christmas!)
Gravy with carrots and celery in it
mum's homemade cranberry
sage and onion stuffing
sausagemeat stuffing (which I won't have)
Home made bread sauce

Pudding - waitrose organic Christmas pud with brandy butter.

Dessert - All the chocs I can fit inside me.

My mum has always cooked a ham for Christmas eve, the remainder of which is then served cold on Boxing Day with cold turkey and stuffing, a huge array of cheeses, salad, homemade chutneys, fresh bread and of course more of those Christmas chocs.

I never eat as much as I do on Christmas day. I don't think I physically can. Everyone's plates look like food mountains, but I can always magically fit it in. Then of course a lot of sitting around watching telly while it digests. We always go for a very long walk while it's cooking though. Afterwards, can't move.

Folly

One of the Regulars
Christmas Eve - copious amounts of vegetarian sausage rolls which have been requested

Christmas Day -A vegetarian roast dinner with the usual suspects I would think. Also going to make a rum laced trifle then we're off to my parents for Christmas tea.

Boxing Day - no idea.

Amelie

A-List Customer
we're not making anything typically american here this year for christmas eve!

On the menu, we have swiss fondue, chinese fondue, raclette, chocolate fondue (yeah a lot of fondue and a lot of cheese, but I love it :p) (with good californian wine and Quebec's cider too :D)

and as people are going to bring some other things, I don't exactly know what it will be.

Nothing very specific to christmas time tough :p

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
The traditional Christmas dinner in our house:

1. Cream of Mushroom soup (recipe from Julia Child).
2. Standing rib roast.
3. Yorkshire pudding.
4. Roasted potatoes (& carrots).
5. Creamed peas.
6. Dessert will be a small plum pudding with an apple pie for those whose taste doesn't extend to steamed fruitcake!:p
7. Cold roast beef in various forms for the following three days...

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Am on the Atkins diet, so dirty martini's, a stick of butter and olive oil!!:)

Merry Christmas to all!:D

Reno, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" Love that line!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
GOK said:
Scott, Yorkies can be served with any roast. Every year, for his special b/day dinner, my youngest son always asked for a giant Yorkie with a roast inside it!
yorkie_2.jpg

YAP YAP NOOOO PLEASE DON'T EAT ME YAP YAP YAP!

(Gok, in America Yorkie commonly refers to a small and obnoxiously cute puppy dog.)

But put me down for the roast 'n pudd! :D

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
OldSkoolFrat said:
Reno, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" Love that line!

It's from Horse Feathers (1932):

I don't know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway --
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
No matter what it is or who commenced it,
I'm against it.

Your proposition may be good
But let's have one thing understood --
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it.

I'm opposed to it --
On general principles I'm opposed to it!

Chorus: He's opposed to it!
In fact, in word, in deed,
He's opposed to it!

For months before my son was born,
I used to yell from night till morn,
And I've kept yelling since I commenced it,
I'm against it!

You gotta love the Marx Brothers!:)

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Christmas Eve brings out the traditional eight types of fish; filet, clams, shrimp etc. Really all good.
Christmas day we have (one of) a family dessert called Ice Box Cake. Its a row of chocolate pudding covered with a row of vanilla pudding, separated, lined and covered with crushed Graham crackers.
Not too shabby.

melankomas

One of the Regulars
i have no intention of cooking at all. i have exceptionally nice neighbors, and despite the fact that i only "celebrate" holidays like Veterans' Day and Memorial Day, they are kind enough to share their elaborate holiday meals with me (and as i live in an apartment, i have several neighbors; on Thanksgiving, i'd more food than could be fit in my fridge!). all i need do is wash and return dishes. i always sample everything given me, and then pack up the rest and have picnics. that is to say, i pack my big picnic basket (unearthed in a secondhand store years ago, and quite possibly not meant for picnics at all) and go for walk to the park. anyone i see scavenge through a bin or ask for spare change is invited to join my picnic, and by the time i reach the park i have enough guests for a jolly party! i do this with my own cooking at other times, but it's much better with my neighbors' cooking, because there's such variety, and i'm not as good a cook. it's very fun!

i'm wandering again, true? but i'm very excited, and can hardly wait, so i excuse myself. Uncle Willy hasn't many teeth, and Mrs. B made some sort of casserole (?) for Thanksgiving that was very soft and that he loved, and she promised to make it again, and she will write down a recipe this time so i can make it as well!

:D :eusa_clap :D

lol i just arrived home from work (Monday), and the onslaught has already begun! this will be a great picnic! :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ortega76 - I love Christmas tamales! Yum!

I think last year we had pizza. We go all out for Thanksgiving, so for Christmas we focus less on cooking and food. This year, however, we'll be having ham, scalloped potatoes, squash, couple of other side dishes I can't recall, and rolls. I forgot to pre-order a Buche de Noel from La Madeleine, so we'll be enjoying apple pie for dessert.

Merry Christmas, all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou