Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT'S INSIDE ?

polocoat

One of the Regulars
I still have my N-3b military parka from the 1960s in excellent shape, that was issued to me with the real coyote fur hood. Unfortunately, the tag is missing. It's a substantial (heavy) parka and warm as toast. I would like to know what's inside. I'm pretty sure it's not down so I would like to know what insulation is used inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Might be Some kind of Felted Wool liner if it's on the hefty side? I have one like that too It's got a thicker feeling liner than that poly cotton batton kind of stuff. Does it feel like pancake thick? It's probly the same kind of stuff the old Boot sole liners were made of or similar.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I've got an Albert Turner from the mid 50s and a couple inches of stitching has come undone so I can see inside. The insulation is white and fuzzy and looks like cheap shearling but is a blend of wool and cotton, probably scraps and off-cuts shredded up and blended. It looks like the inside of a hydro coat, which were very common work jackets in Canada. For Americans, it looks like the white fake shearling that's on the collars of some jean jackets except a bit denser and more matted. Does that make sense?

polocoat

One of the Regulars
I've got an Albert Turner from the mid 50s and a couple inches of stitching has come undone so I can see inside. The insulation is white and fuzzy and looks like cheap shearling but is a blend of wool and cotton, probably scraps and off-cuts shredded up and blended. It looks like the inside of a hydro coat, which were very common work jackets in Canada. For Americans, it looks like the white fake shearling that's on the collars of some jean jackets except a bit denser and more matted. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the replies. From some of the replies I received and information I found on line, the N-3b insulation material appears to be a dense heavy wool similar to the wool used in boot liner our "Dumpster Diver" mentioned. Yes, it is "pancake thick." Again, thanks for your input. Now, I'll post separate question about the cleaning and upkeep of the N-3B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran