Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's more versatile: black or burgundy shoes?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I'm buying a pair of Alden shell cordovan plain toe bluchers and I'm deciding between two colors: black and #8/burgundy. I will be wearing them with tan slacks, blue slacks, blue jeans, and eventually gray trousers. Any suggestions about which color will be more versatile? I can only afford one pair of nice dress shoes, and these will be it! I also own a pair of brown horsehide boots that I wear a lot and I'd like a different color shoe to complement them, which leaves out the ravellos (plus they're more expensive). Thank you.

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
Normally I would say black but with what you said you would be wearing them with I would buy the burgundy ones
For what it's worth I wear that very shoe with those color pants often

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I always evaluate color combinations between the 'warm' and 'cool' colors, the former being browns, tans, etc., the latter black, blue, grays. A light enough gray can work with browns, and certain blues look good with light burnished tan shoes. But that's beside the point.

Black shoes are restricted to cool colors, and in my opinion, don't look good with blue pants/suits. Mostly for grey and black. Oxblood is one of the colors that can cross cool or warm colors, so it looks good with browns, black, blues, and gray. I'd say it's more versatile. I can wear my oxblood fedora with any of those colors, and even dark greens. So a pair of burgundy/oxblood shoes would also look nice. And I think an oxblood leather can attain a nicer and richer patina than black.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks. That's very helpful. I would've guessed black. I'm glad you said cordovan because I prefer the cordovan leather. It has a glow and can see it taking on a beautiful patina over time.

D

Deleted member 16736

Do I have to wear a cordovan belt to match it or can I wear black or even brown? I assume the socks should match the pants.

Ed88

New in Town
I would definitely say the burgundy. Definitely works better with jeans and tan/ blue slacks. Otherwise a smart pair of black shoes can cheapen the whole outfit. The only prehaps iffy one is the grey trousers, generally the rule is brown shoes but it all depends on the shade and texture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy