Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best alternative to leather in a hard wearing casual jacket?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Is it corduroy, waxed cotton, tweed, denim? I'm curious if there's any other material (other than leather) which holds up to hard wear over years and doesn't look bad when worn. Any thoughts?

Harris Tweed tends to wear at the elbows and sleeve ends. Cord sometimes comes off the fabric. Denim... maybe?

JanSolo

Practically Family
There are several alternatives. There is a german cloth which is called "Deutschleder" (german leather). Don't be mislead by the term... it doesn't look or feel like leather but it's probably as long lasting and heavy (or heavier) as leather. And it develops a nice and rich patina over the years.
For more than 8 decades it was only used for hard use work wear but since 2005 german upmarket department store Manufactum is offering a nice 1940s styled simple and casual jacket made from Deutschleder.

Manufactum is also offering Filson and this stuff is even heavier than their thick tin cloth jackets!

Have a look:

75143_1.jpg

79559_1.jpg

75143_2.jpg

79559_2.jpg

Here the full link:

http://www.manufactum.de/Artikel/75143/HerrenjackeDeutschleder.html

JanSolo

Practically Family
Yes, it's very heavy, tightly woven sateen. The jacket is only partially lined because the inner surface of the cloth feels very warm and plushy, like moleskine. The fabric weight is exactly 600 grammes per square meter. My jacket (I own the olive one) weighs as much as an Aero Cheyenne in FQHH!

Edward

Bartender
Jan, any chance of photos of your jacket? These look superb. I adore leather, but sometimes it's nice to wear something else.

roperdad

New in Town
I must agree with Inusuit. They are a somewhat utilitarian, but if you really wear it a Carhartt made of brown duck is the way to go.

They are affordable and serviceable. Brush, barb wire, snow and birdshot will all be handled by the brown duck!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own a Drizabone Ranger (a mid-length untility jacket) in dark brown waxed cotton/oil cloth. Haven't worn it much, but maybe I should. I like the look of Barbour and Filson. Is there any difference between tin cloth and general waxed cotton? The Drizabone is 12.5 oz.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Seb Lucas said:
I own a Drizabone Ranger (a mid-length untility jacket) in dark brown waxed cotton/oil cloth. Haven't worn it much, but maybe I should. I like the look of Barbour and Filson. Is there any difference between tin cloth and general waxed cotton? The Drizabone is 12.5 oz.

From Filson regarding Tin Cloth: "Oil Finish Tin Cloth, 12.5 oz. 100% cotton duck, 2 ply by 2 ply, paraffin treated for maximum water repellency"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21