• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What's the best alternative to leather in a hard wearing casual jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Seb Lucas, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas My Mail is Forwarded Here

Is it corduroy, waxed cotton, tweed, denim? I'm curious if there's any other material (other than leather) which holds up to hard wear over years and doesn't look bad when worn. Any thoughts?

Harris Tweed tends to wear at the elbows and sleeve ends. Cord sometimes comes off the fabric. Denim... maybe?
  2. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Heavy duty canvas or a heavy duty waxed Egyptian cotton (the type used for working jackets by farmers/game keepers).
  3. There are several alternatives. There is a german cloth which is called "Deutschleder" (german leather). Don't be mislead by the term... it doesn't look or feel like leather but it's probably as long lasting and heavy (or heavier) as leather. And it develops a nice and rich patina over the years.
    For more than 8 decades it was only used for hard use work wear but since 2005 german upmarket department store Manufactum is offering a nice 1940s styled simple and casual jacket made from Deutschleder.

Manufactum is also offering Filson and this stuff is even heavier than their thick tin cloth jackets!

Have a look:

Here the full link:

4. Looks good- like a very heavy Sateen, or Moleskin.
    Good stuff.

Cotton Sateen is pretty hard wearing, as is Moleskin, which can be had
    in very heavy weights, like 500gsm, or more.

5. Yes, it's very heavy, tightly woven sateen. The jacket is only partially lined because the inner surface of the cloth feels very warm and plushy, like moleskine. The fabric weight is exactly 600 grammes per square meter. My jacket (I own the olive one) weighs as much as an Aero Cheyenne in FQHH!
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Jan, any chance of photos of your jacket? These look superb. I adore leather, but sometimes it's nice to wear something else.
  7. Inusuit

Inusuit A-List Customer

One word...

8. Seb Lucas

Thanks everyone

Interesting reading. Keep them coming. Will investigate your one, Jan.
  9. roperdad

roperdad New in Town

I must agree with Inusuit. They are a somewhat utilitarian, but if you really wear it a Carhartt made of brown duck is the way to go.

They are affordable and serviceable. Brush, barb wire, snow and birdshot will all be handled by the brown duck!
  10. Southernwayfare

Southernwayfare One of the Regulars

MEDIUMMYND One of the Regulars

Take a look at Barbours range of waxed jackets the bushman is a cracker.
  12. Seb Lucas

I own a Drizabone Ranger (a mid-length untility jacket) in dark brown waxed cotton/oil cloth. Haven't worn it much, but maybe I should. I like the look of Barbour and Filson. Is there any difference between tin cloth and general waxed cotton? The Drizabone is 12.5 oz.
  13. Southernwayfare

Southernwayfare One of the Regulars

From Filson regarding Tin Cloth: "Oil Finish Tin Cloth, 12.5 oz. 100% cotton duck, 2 ply by 2 ply, paraffin treated for maximum water repellency"