Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the difference between a porkpie and a boater hat?

HatSoup

Familiar Face
Well, I guess my question was summed up in the title.

Also, I seem to recall that people sometimes wear hats similar to pork pies on election day, but those are called election skimmer hats.

Anders

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if I'm correct, but this is how I've always thought of it:

A boater has a flat top with no creases, usually found in straw hats, like the 'election hats'.
batmc_ii_12_57.jpg

A porkpie is a way of creasing a felt hat so that if forms a circular crease all the way around the crown.
ch07.jpg

Is this the general consensus or am I missing something?

Anders

Orsini

Familiar Face
Anders said:
I'm not sure if I'm correct, but this is how I've always thought of it:

A boater has a flat top with no creases, usually found in straw hats, like the 'election hats'.
batmc_ii_12_57.jpg

A porkpie is a way of creasing a felt hat so that if forms a circular crease all the way around the crown.
ch07.jpg

Is this the general consensus or am I missing something?

Anders
That's it!

Will at ASW has a real nice porkpie he has been sporting laterly. Almost like a fedore with a flat top...

A straw boater can be very nice with an ivory DJ...

dostacos

Practically Family
HatSoup said:
Well, I guess my question was summed up in the title.

Also, I seem to recall that people sometimes wear hats similar to pork pies on election day, but those are called election skimmer hats.
the skimmer is a straw boater, except the skimmer many times now is actually made of Styrofoam [read REALLY CHEAP] or the cheapest straw style available as they are usually give away hats

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
According to sellers on ebay, all boaters were made sometime between the 1880s and 1920s, while porkpies, which are all punk/emo/indy/jazz/Sinatra, are from the 50s and 60s. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw