Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Dr. Seuss Went to War!!!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Little known side to our lovable seller of silly rhymes for kids. At one time he was a well known political cartoonist who did NOT pull punches. Some of these are pretty rugged and very reflective of the times. I never knew this about the man and most of his stuff hasn't been seen in half a century. Surprised McCarthy never went after him but he might have.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...|main5|dl14|sec1_lnk3&pLid=165997#postComment

Worf

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I remember a lot of these from studying 20th century history when I was in university. Here's a few of my favourites:

slide_229804_1041367_free.jpg

Racial Prejudice.

slide_229804_1043633_free.jpg

Racial Discrimination in the Workplace.

slide_229804_1041382_free.jpg

Anti-semitism.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most of the good Doctor's political cartoons were done for a New York tabloid newspaper called "PM," one of the most interesting papers of its time -- it was founded by Marshall Field, the Chicago department store king, as a direct challenge to the dominance of the tabloid field by the McCormick/Patterson and Hearst interests. Both the major New York tabs, Patterson's "News" and Hearst's "Mirror," were rabidly Isolationist during the prewar years, and Field, an interventionist, felt it was important for an alternative point of view to be available. Some of the best writers in prewar journalism worked for PM -- attracted by the fact that the paper, in a stand absolutely unique for a mass-market daily, refused to accept any commercial advertising. Dr Seuss, although he had actually worked in commercial art thru most of the thirties -- he was best known as the illustrator of a hilarious campaign for Flit insect spray -- fit right in with the ideals of this paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred