Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When good sweatbands go bad...

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Hi Fedorians:

Well, I've been wearing my swell Bogart fur-felt fedora for some months now, virtually daily. It's a fine little hat and people long ago stopped looking at me as if I were a bit 'different' :rolleyes:

However, now that it's broken in, I've noticed that with the unavoidable sweatband shrinkage (which snugs the hat up nicely), the sweatband has formed some creases and wrinkles. One of the wrinkles is just right-of-center of my forehead, and when I remove the chapeau, I have a vertical red crease... in my FOREHEAD! :eusa_doh:

I have considered just making a slit up the length of the wrinkle but wanted to get the opinions of the lounge.

Nu?

"RadioHead"

RadioHead

Familiar Face
And search I did.

Hello "feltfan"

I did- as a matter of fact- do a search before I posted my message. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to look at all 500 THREADS and all the messages therein.

I'll keep looking, shall I?

"RadioHead"

Am I understanding you to say that the sweatband itself has developed creases and wrinkles, and that one of 'em is pinching your forehead a bit?
How tight is that hat? I'm trying to create a mental picture of what you're up against, RadioHead, and what I see is a not-so-good sweatband and/or a too-tight hat. Did you buy that hat new?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Radiohead,

Not sure I understand your response to me.
The second link I put in was to a single thread,
should you want to simply replace your sweatband.
I no longer remember the results to the first one and
it seems to have timed out.

You might try rubbing down your sweatband with
Lexol and letting it sit over night. Should be a manageable
number of hits on Lexol in the hats section if you want
to get details.

Tonyb is right, though. We need more details on the hat.

RadioHead

Familiar Face
tonyb said:
Am I understanding you to say that the sweatband itself has developed creases and wrinkles, and that one of 'em is pinching your forehead a bit?

Yes, that is the case. One of the wrinkles causes a noticeble vertical "dent" on my forehead.

tonyb said:
How tight is that hat? I'm trying to create a mental picture of what you're up against, RadioHead, and what I see is a not-so-good sweatband and/or a too-tight hat. Did you buy that hat new?

The hat is 'snug' but not overly tight; by which I mean it fits, but I don't have to screw it on... :D I did buy the had new and at first it was just a little on the "I-hope-this-doesn't-blow-off-in-the-wind" size.

"RadioHead"

RadioHead

Familiar Face
feltfan said:
Not sure I understand your response to me.
The second link I put in was to a single thread,

Well, it's a fairly new hat, and I don't really want to replace the sweatband, just find out if I can remedy the situation.

feltfan said:
You might try rubbing down your sweatband with
Lexol and letting it sit over night. Should be a manageable
number of hits on Lexol in the hats section if you want
to get details.

OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks very much!

"RadioHead"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner