Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When Will You Be Done Buying Hats?

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I have pretty much what I need, except for maybe a nice navy blue fedora. I can see a time when I start "upgrading" to either nice vintage hats, or custom pure beaver hats from guys like Art Fawcett or Major Moore.

Last edited:

James71

A-List Customer
I have a pretty good working collection with a good representative from most genres. They all get worn and replaced as they wear out, so I buy a few a year.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I'm retired and don't need suits for work. Most of my hobbies would destroy good clothing so most of the time I'm slopping around in Levi's and a polo or T-shirt. However, when I do get dressed up I like to do a good job and I'm getting cranky about quality. So while I am not a "collector" by nature, I do have a lot of caps to keep by balding pate warm in the winter and un-sunburned in the summer. I also have hats. I garden in straw and dress up in a panama when it's warm. Might I get a better Panama? Possibly. Do I want one or two fine quality fedoras to wear dressed up when it's cooler? You bet! When I get those will I keep buying hats? Don't put any money on it. I'm looking at a silver fedora to wear with black or blue and an olive one to wear with brown and tweed. That oughta do me.

Oh, and a Homburg. Gotta hava Homburg!

scooter

Practically Family
My wife asks me that at least once a day it seems. Right now, I'm set on getting one of the new Stratoliners that Major Mike is getting ready to market, and I'd like to get one hat custom made. Having said that, I am on here and the Bay nearly daily trying find a bargain on hats that strike my fancy. I can be a bit impulsive (major understatement), so hobbies like this can be expensive for me. I have to temper my wants with knowledge of my needs!!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Not for a long time. I preaty much have all the wool felts that I want and Panamas. Now I have set my sights on some fur felts. The first one I want to get is a Stetson Whippet.

Kirk H.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Done's a strong word, but I think I would have a good idea of when to tone it down a notch by the point I've got as many hats as days of the week. I don't aspire to be as big a collector as some here, I just want a handful that I like, and would actually wear.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Never. Well, when I no longer have the means to do so... so, still never. :cool:

job

One Too Many
I'm going to have a limit of 20 hats. I have 9 so I have a ways to go. I hope to never buy a hat that does not get worn.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Done's a strong word, but I think I would have a good idea of when to tone it down a notch by the point I've got as many hats as days of the week. I don't aspire to be as big a collector as some here, I just want a handful that I like, and would actually wear.

:laugh: :pound: :laugh:

Ahh I used to think like that at one time. Now I'm thinking "maybe" I'll be done when I have a hat for each day of the month. Of course I shudder to think what's after that.

And yes, except for a bowler, I do rotate through all of them each month!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany