Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When your wife gets a hold of your hats (A horror story) ...

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
So, I come home yesterday and my wife shares with me that she went to her dad's to visit him and her uncle and aunt who were visiting from out of town... Ohio, to be exact.

Now, not unlike some of you, I have a few “extra” hats (If that really can BE such a thing) She decides, on her own, without my knowledge, while I'm at work,“hey, wouldn’t my uncle and aunt look kewl in a fedora??” So, she take a few of my “extras” and proceeds to her visit. Can anyone see where this is going??

I come home after a day at the office and she shares with me that she GAVE two of my “extra” hats to her aunt and uncle. SO …, upon hearing this news, I try not to be panicked or upset. Honestly, I do have a couple that I would have gladly parted with, for the sake of spreading the joy of having a fedora, HAD I BEEN GIVEN A CHOICE as to WHICH hats. I do have a couple that don’t fit quite well enough and that I did get just to study how the ribbons were constructed, etc. So, I check my all hats and discover that one she had inadvertently given away my early 1950’s Cavanaugh Edge, which by the way, is the ABSOLUTE favorite of my vintage fedoras.

Needless to say, it was NOT a good evening for either one of us for the balance of the day.

GOOD NEWS … She contacted her uncle, who had not yet left for home, and he graciously offered to drop off my aforementioned Cavanaugh at my father-in-laws.

In a spirit of benevolence, I WILL send along a suitable substitution that honestly would have looked better on his wife than the one my wife was so generous to part with.

Anyone else have a story of this nature that they’d like to share??

p.s. no humans or animals were harmed in the making of this (unfortunately) very true story ...

So, I come home yesterday and my wife shares with me that she went to her dad's to visit him and her uncle and aunt who were visiting from out of town... Ohio, to be exact.

Now, not unlike some of you, I have a few “extra” hats (If that really can BE such a thing) She decides, on her own, without my knowledge, while I'm at work,“hey, wouldn’t my uncle and aunt look kewl in a fedora??” So, she take a few of my “extras” and proceeds to her visit. Can anyone see where this is going??

I come home after a day at the office and she shares with me that she GAVE two of my “extra” hats to her aunt and uncle. SO …, upon hearing this news, I try not to be panicked or upset. Honestly, I do have a couple that I would have gladly parted with, for the sake of spreading the joy of having a fedora, HAD I BEEN GIVEN A CHOICE as to WHICH hats. I do have a couple that don’t fit quite well enough and that I did get just to study how the ribbons were constructed, etc. So, I check my all hats and discover that one she had inadvertently given away my early 1950’s Cavanaugh Edge, which by the way, is the ABSOLUTE favorite of my vintage fedoras.

Needless to say, it was NOT a good evening for either one of us for the balance of the day.

GOOD NEWS … She contacted her uncle, who had not yet left for home, and he graciously offered to drop off my aforementioned Cavanaugh at my father-in-laws.

In a spirit of benevolence, I WILL send along a suitable substitution that honestly would have looked better on his wife than the one my wife was so generous to part with.

Anyone else have a story of this nature that they’d like to share??

p.s. no humans or animals were harmed in the making of this (unfortunately) very true story ...

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wow that is a story that will be told in your family for generations.

A story in a bit of a reversal; I "trash" things when my wife is in vacation. My wife and I take vacations apart and together each year. When my wife takes a vacation we have an agreement that I am allowed to "unclutter." I almost always have a small dumpster and a Veterans donation bucket delivered to our driveway. I walk thru our storage shed, garage shelving, her hobby room and under garage and select and move items to the dumpster and bucket. Old magazines, fabric/fleece remnants, hobby/work remnants, old work records/paperwork, kitchen/frig/freezer junk, accumulated detris and some agreed items are all put out to be removed. In less than 24 hours the bucket and dumpster are picked-up.

My wife and I only on rare occasions speak to details of this every year occurrence. I know she does not easily part with "stuff" and she knows that I am bothered by the clutter. It is solved in the above annual actions. In an way to make the actions taken to have a pleasant "flavor" I do have a carpet cleaning, tree trimming and a house detail service come and do their best during her vacation time. She gets to come home to an uncluttered home, spiffy clean interior to the house, spiffy yard and a happy husband. This has worked for us. On my vacation (almost always during the winter season), my wife most often has friends come and stay vacation at our house for nearly the entire time I am gone. They enjoy a stay-cation and charge about the town during my absence. All safe, good and happy.

It works for us.

Not exactly the same situation. I believe it is similar in that we too believe that we are working in the best interest of our relationship.

Best, Eric -

My wife also collects he share of antiques, so she's well aware of the value of the hats I have. She's also pretty aware of which ones are more valuable than other, so fortunately, I don't think she'd do anything like this.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Both my wife & dog are trained not to touch my stuff. :D
Lucky you. Our house has a different rule:
w&c.png

Edward

Bartender
Herself once spent a whole day clearing out my kitchen. Well, I *was* grateful, but I did kinda fixate on the fact that the wooden presentation box from my cutlery had gone in the bin..... Yeah. We laugh about that. Now years later. When she's in the right mood.....

I have had to accept I have suffered a hoarding problem during the last decade, and need to clear stuff out. It's been a long road, and still will be. I dream of the end result, but it's not easy - not so much the parting with stuff, more the physical effort of knowing where to start, plus I tend to get upset at the idea of something gonig in the bin if it can be recycled, that sort of thing...

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Wow that is a story that will be told in your family for generations.

A story in a bit of a reversal; I "trash" things when my wife is in vacation. My wife and I take vacations apart and together each year. When my wife takes a vacation we have an agreement that I am allowed to "unclutter." I almost always have a small dumpster and a Veterans donation bucket delivered to our driveway. I walk thru our storage shed, garage shelving, her hobby room and under garage and select and move items to the dumpster and bucket. Old magazines, fabric/fleece remnants, hobby/work remnants, old work records/paperwork, kitchen/frig/freezer junk, accumulated detris and some agreed items are all put out to be removed. In less than 24 hours the bucket and dumpster are picked-up.

My wife and I only on rare occasions speak to details of this every year occurrence. I know she does not easily part with "stuff" and she knows that I am bothered by the clutter. It is solved in the above annual actions. In an way to make the actions taken to have a pleasant "flavor" I do have a carpet cleaning, tree trimming and a house detail service come and do their best during her vacation time. She gets to come home to an uncluttered home, spiffy clean interior to the house, spiffy yard and a happy husband. This has worked for us. On my vacation (almost always during the winter season), my wife most often has friends come and stay vacation at our house for nearly the entire time I am gone. They enjoy a stay-cation and charge about the town during my absence. All safe, good and happy.

It works for us.

Not exactly the same situation. I believe it is similar in that we too believe that we are working in the best interest of our relationship.

Best, Eric -
Eric:
This is so very civilized!
I doff my hat to you and your wife.
Guess i should have joined the lounge 10 years ago!
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner