Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can a fellow get a filling station attendant's hat device/badge?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I need a hat device for a service station attendant's costume I'm putting together. Any ideas on where I can get one (other than eBay) on short notice? A reproduction would be nice.

-Dave

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't know where you'd find repros, but this picture should give people an idea of what you mean.
91-01.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I don't know where you'd find repros, but this picture should give people an idea of what you mean.
91-01.jpg

That's the stuff. Originals seem to be quite pricy. I don't want to make one on the computer, as I think it would be obvious.

-Dave

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
My dad used to own service stations and has a lot of photos of him in similar hats. They were a kind of standard service type cap used by chaufeurs, milk men, gas attendants etc.

I would suggest a military hat with the wire taken out so it is softer and floppy., or the alternative would be a service type side cap. These were often worn. As for the badge or patch, I would think it would nto be hard to find a repro or original patch, but you might have to order it. Should be able to get it by the 31st though.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
I would suggest a military hat with the wire taken out so it is softer and floppy., or the alternative would be a service type side cap. These were often worn.

The hat is definitely not the problem, I've had that covered for a long time. I just need the badge.

As for the badge or patch, I would think it would nto be hard to find a repro or original patch, but you might have to order it. Should be able to get it by the 31st though.

You would think, but I haven't had any luck yet.

-Dave

carter

I'll Lock Up
An idea.

You could make a quality print of an image like this

texacofillingstation.jpg

And affix it to a disc cut-to-size with a screw back.
Perhaps coat with a clear sealer.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think those are all lapel pins. They'd be much too small. He wants a real 2 inch wide shield. I suspect the print put method is your best bet. You could print it out in color, then glue it to a piece of styrofoam board. Then you could take some sort of tool and carve out some relief into it, maybe bend it a little.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
carter said:
You could make a quality print of an image like this

texacofillingstation.jpg

And affix it to a disc cut-to-size with a screw back.
Perhaps coat with a clear sealer.

How about printing it onto fabric and then attaching it to a self covering button? Most seamstresses will know of what i speak.. It's a nifty little kit you can buy so you can cover a button with matching fabric.. They come in many sizes.
I believe the fabric stores and quilt shops sell the necessary equipment.. Quilters do photo transfer all the time...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I would suggest the print it out method, but making it into a pin with a clear coat over it. It looks to me like the one in the photo is a pin.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
As far as making a pin for the costume . . . Perhaps I spend too much time with my 5-year old, but when I look at the pin in the picture posted by Dinerman, I keep thinking that you could probably find something seashell-shaped and about that size in some SpongeBob toys, or perhaps a Barbie somethingorother. Some gold spray paint, stick-on letters, superglue and a safety pin and . . . viola! One fake hat badge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters