Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get a good quality Indiana Jones Jacket?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
westinghouse said:
Anyone know of any places that sell them? Can Aero or Tony Nowak make one?

Tony Nowak made the Indy IV jacket. he is also currently producing jackets from the original trilogy. they are expensive, but my Indy IV jacket was worth it. You can also get an Indy jacket from Wested, Todd's Costumes, US Wings, & a few more that I cannot think of off the top of my head.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
In addition to all of the excellent information on this board, you may also want to check Club Obi-Wan at Indygear.com for more discussions on this topic. Here's my general list of Indy-style jackets from high to low price (other, better informed people are more than welcome to add their thoughts):

Tony Nowak made the leather jackets for the fourth Indiana Jones movie, and he makes an excellent version of the jackets from the other 3 movies, too. These are custom fit. I've heard nothing but good things about his jackets with quality and durability.
http://www.tonynowak.com/

EDIT: I forgot to include the custom-made jackets by Magnoli Clothiers. Magnoli makes versions of all 4 films' jackets. These are made to measure, and I've only heard praise from those who have purchased Magnoli's jackets.
www.magnoliclothiers.com

I've been very happy with my Gibson & Barnes Expedition in goatskin (they also have lamb), which is based on measurements from one of the stunt jackets in Raiders of the Lost Ark. These come in suit jacket sizes (eg. 48R). Excellent quality and durability--some people consider them too durable for artificially aging the jackets. www.gibson-barnes.com

U.S. Wings also makes a great Indy jacket in many leathers: cow, goat, lamb. U.S. Wings bought out Coopers, which was probably involved in making jackets for the first 2 Indy movies. The sizes are not as precise as Nowak's custom fit or G&B's suit jacket sizes. I've heard great things about these jackets. Great quality and durability.
www.uswings.com

Wested Leather makes jackets in all 4 movie styles and are among the least expensive jackets for custom fit or off-the-rack. They were probably involved in making jackets for the first and third Indy movies. I've seen some very nice looking jackets from them. However, these may not be quite as durable as the more expensive jackets listed above. Also, there appear to be some issues regarding quality control about some of the custom jackets they send out. Some people have great experiences, some don't.
http://www.wested.com/index.asp

Todd's Costumes makes an inexpensive lambskin Raiders jacket that many people consider quite accurately made. I don't know as much about this jacket. It may be thinner and not as durable as some of the other jackets, but I've heard great things about the looks of this one.
www.toddscostumes.com

I'm no jacket expert--these are just the general things I've read over the years when deciding on an Indy-style jacket. I've only owned the G&B, so owners of the other jackets can certainly say more about these other brands than I can. I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have a US Wings Indy in distressed cow i bought second-hand. Really nice, well-made jacket. Runs a tad roomy in size. The cuffs are nicely turned under. Very durable good-looking jacket.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I have 2 TN Raiders and couldn't be happier...

Like said above they're custom fit, never have a jacket that fit me so well.

My shrunken lamb is sturdy and my goat one is tough as nail. The quality on those are excellent!

I also had a Wested, nice jacket for the price, but I didn't like the fit despite being custom.

Didn't know about the others so I can't comment on them.

frussell

One Too Many
US Wings VIP

May or not be screen accurate, and I could care less, but I recently bought a secondhand US Wings VIP Indy-style, and I love it. It's a heavy bugger, but anything that comes in my size is going to weigh a lot, as it takes half a cow to make me a garment. I tried one of Todd's off-the-rack jackets in his biggest size, but not even close to being big enough. Too bad, because it was a great looking, lightweight jacket that would have been super for where I live. This US Wings 3XL Long fits just right, and I did not find any other non-custom maker who sells one big enough for me. It's very well put together, and will last me for a very long time. Comfortable too. Too bad I'll have to hang it up for the next eight months of desert heat! I've had other leather jackets, and for the price, plus the availablility for larger sizes, this one was unbeatable. I'm not looking for an exact replica of the film jacket, I've just always liked the style, and I wanted something that I wouldn't rip or ruin with hard wear. Very satisfied. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff