Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

JG

New in Town
Mine's not as imaginative as most of you folks; JG are my first two initials (James Gerald). I humour myself that it sounds a little 50's studio executive-y.

When I was picking a handle I thought it would have been a bit presumptuous to pick something that would seem like I was comparing myself favourably to Bogie or Gary Cooper. So I picked "Ugarte", the slimy little guy played by Peter Lorre in Casablanca. (Ugarte: "You despise me, don't you?" Rick: "If I gave you any thought I probably would.")

Unfortunately one of the denizens of the lounge already had dibs on it so JG it is.

Cheers,

Jim

MJrules

One of the Regulars
umm...Michael Jackson Rules... :eek: ...my sister gave me a "good one" eyebrow raise when she saw.
OT but I love using elipses (sp?) instead of proper grammar

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Most people know the hat company was founded by John B. Stetson. My dad, who was a John K. worked at Stetson when it was still in Philadelphia, so my screen name is tribute of sorts.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I'm a little late to the party on this one.

Sly= bald
GI= soldier

So SlyGI it is. I'm actually no longer bald, well a little on top. But one summer I thought I would shave my head just to see what it would look like. Then the winter came, and I was very happy to have a reason to grow my hair back. lol

ipokebadgers

New in Town
ipokebadgers

When I removed the "This vehicle is dangerous and can roll over" sticker from the visor in my Jeep my daughters took me to Hot Topic where I got a replacement sticker that says "I poke badgers with spoons". It seemed like the logical choice for a forum name.

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
I picked hepkitten because I like jazz slang and I love the way it sounds--all bright and kicky, and way more cool than I really am. Plus I adore cats.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Lazy? Who me?

Or is it forgetful? I just kept it from elsewhere 'cause I'm too slow to remember all the *$#*( user names I have)! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
That one reminds me of. . .

ipokebadgers said:
When I removed the "This vehicle is dangerous and can roll over" sticker from the visor in my Jeep my daughters took me to Hot Topic where I got a replacement sticker that says "I poke badgers with spoons". It seemed like the logical choice for a forum name.

Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck if" . . . I'm not going to finish that! It was awful.

Chas

One Too Many
A shortened version of my name. My namesake was a friend of my mum & dad. I didn't know him all that well. What I do know is that he was in the Cameron Highlanders of Canada and had landed (briefly) at Dieppe. He survived the battle and the war. Fortunately he was evacuated and fought another day.

Abyss

Familiar Face
My user name is referring directly to the ocean. I've been interested in marine biology ever since, well, ever, especially the weird stuff in the Oceanic Abyss. Giant squid and tripod fish and such.

Plus, Abyss is a fun word.

splatt

One of the Regulars
Strangely enough the same name came to me from two completely different places years apart.

In about 1982 i was working a school computer project in which we had to design a game. I made a game based on a variation of Pac-Man where if you ran into the walls, your little Pac-Man character went "splatt"...so some of my mates started calling me "splatt". I never thought about it or used it after 1983 as i had changed schools.

Fast forward to 1988, and I’ve been working as a lighting designer and fold back engineer with the same sound guy for a while, and in a short space of time i have two vehicle accidents. The sound guy (spider) and the roadie (groupie) decide to call me "splatt" without ever having known about the 1982 nickname. Of course when you work with a rock band you have to have a nickname and i remember working with people where i never new their real name and i think a few had forgot there own names over the years as well...though that might have had something to do with years of substance abuse :eusa_doh:

In 1991 it became my online handle and then my website domain and it has stuck with me ever since then...i also started writing it as "SplaTT" in around 1995 as it had more cred on the boards ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy