Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do FL readers stand on tattooing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like, and have always liked tattoos. But, I think that they must mean something to you, and I prefer ones that are placed in an area that is not exposed at all times. Or if it is easily exposed, I'd prefer it to be small. But that's just my opinion.
As for me, I don't have one yet...... I have played around with some airbrushing and henna on my lower back and the inside of my wrist, and I must say, I really like it. I was very close this week to popping into a friends tattoo parlor and just going for it. But, I'm a little concerned, since I have a problem with my immune system, it could be dangerous for me to get one. My immune system over reacts to everything, attacks my own body (I have Crohn's and Rheumatoid Arthritis). Anytime you cause harm to your body, your immune system responds. I'm worried that mine will respond too much, and this could make me very sick. I really should ask my doctor about it, but I'm a little scared of her, and I know she wouldn't approve. I'm also a bit apprehensive because I've heard they hurt. I have enough needles in my life right now, I've got to build up the courage for more.
But, as for tattoo's, I really like them. They are a very personal thing. Remember, it will become a part of you forever, so make sure you get one that has meaning to you. They can really be beautiful.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Not having a tattoo is the new having a tattoo.

That said, hearing "in the 40s only whores and sailors had tattoos" as justification for disliking tattoos is completely distasteful to me. There were some social injustices that were the norm in the 40s (against women and minorities for example), shall we espouse those ideals too?

Stay honest, people.
I'm right with you Bella!!
And yes, conservatives get them too. Wow, shocking:)
My point, do what you like, it's your body. It's not offensive to anybody, and you do it for yourself to make you happy. It should, in no way add you to some category or class of unsavory population because you decide that you want some ink. As for those people who don't like them, that's cool too, your entitled to your likes and dislikes. But, to categorize someone for getting one, that's wrong. I want one, and I am neither a sailor, a whore, nor a Harley rider. Just a plain old dental hygienist who likes the way a small tat looks on her lower back. You don't like it, you don't have to live with it. It shouldn't be a factor in the characterization of me, and it shouldn't be that way for anybody else.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I'd better bring a bottle of Rye, and a bullet (to bite).

Seriously, I see a side income and new outlet for your art.

I've seen ads in the classifieds here from time to time, but it's just not my scene. I've too many other things going on and there's the personal responsibility thing. I wouldn't want to make a snap decision myself and get some tattoo that I would regret at a later date. And so I wouldn't want to permanently mark someone else with something they may not have envisioned, or that they really don't like several years down the road.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I've seen ads in the classifieds here from time to time, but it's just not my scene. I've too many other things going on and there's the personal responsibility thing. I wouldn't want to make a snap decision myself and get some tattoo that I would regret at a later date. And so I wouldn't want to permanently mark someone else with something they may not have envisioned, or that they really don't like several years down the road.

You sir, are a fine gentleman!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tattoos in the UK tend to reflect the class system

On the whole (there are always a few exceptions in life), having a tattoo in the UK does not tend to be favoured by the Upper Middle Class or Upper Classes. And in certain professions would be totally unheard of. You just wouldn't be accepted.

I'm not arguing whether this attitude is right or wrong, just that 'it is.'

Just as Chavs would not be seen dead wearing a Fedora (they are marked out by their baseball caps perched at a 45 degree angle on their head), so a military officer, barrister/legal councellor or Duchess wouldn't be seen wearing a tattoo across their body.

I'm not sure how this equates to attitudes in the US or elsewhere in the world, but there is still a definite class system in the UK (Which, strangely, tattoos adhere to), and I have a feeling that (I maybe wrong here guys, so help me out) the US certainly is a class conscious society (Hence the Ivy League family clans..etc), but whether tattoos in the States follow the same sort of protocol, I just don't know?

PADDY said:
in the States follow the same sort of protocol, I just don't know?

There are classes in the US but not as stringently adhered to as UK. BUT the US is the land of Opportunity so you may move up is class often in spite of such ganishment.

Also, the military warrior class is much celebrated in tatooing, after retirement or moving on to other endevors you may see CEO to Pastors sporting these chevrons of soldiering in places of great damger.

JIC

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
On the whole (there are always a few exceptions in life), having a tattoo in the UK does not tend to be favoured by the Upper Middle Class or Upper Classes. And in certain professions would be totally unheard of. You just wouldn't be accepted.

I'm not arguing whether this attitude is right or wrong, just that 'it is.'

Just as Chavs would not be seen dead wearing a Fedora (they are marked out by their baseball caps perched at a 45 degree angle on their head), so a military officer, barrister/legal councellor or Duchess wouldn't be seen wearing a tattoo across their body.

I'm not sure how this equates to attitudes in the US or elsewhere in the world, but there is still a definite class system in the UK (Which, strangely, tattoos adhere to), and I have a feeling that (I maybe wrong here guys, so help me out) the US certainly is a class conscious society (Hence the Ivy League family clans..etc), but whether tattoos in the States follow the same sort of protocol, I just don't know?
There of course are very clear class differences in the US, though many/most of us try and pretend they're not there. Generally, it's the lower classes who are painfully aware of their standing (while the upper crust is painfully unaware of anyone other than themselves). It is common to talk of "blue collar" work and blue collar workers. It is also common for "blue collars" to talk about vague ideas like "priced for the working man" or "that's something a working man can relate to." And, often, if you are not a blue-collar worker and have no high-paying office job--like say you're a starving artist like me--you get to feeling as though you're just on no one's radar at all and that the life of an artist, a poet, a painter, a playwright, is completely marginalized in this country. Especially if you're not an "academic artist" with the support of academia behind you. But then, even if you are, neither blue-collar workers nor office people can relate.

"You do what?"

"I contemplate. I write plays and poems and philosophy."

"Oh, I get it--you need to get a friggin' job!"

No matter how ugly things get, I look forward more than anything else in my life to a weekly "poetry" show I attend and perform in. A bunch of brilliant, irreverent, drunken writers. Heaven on earth for me. No such thing as "class" in that room.

My experience is that to-tattoo or not-to-tattoo, when it doesn't have to do with your own personal views, has everything to do with what job you have or hope to have (in a similar way to what PADDY said). My second tattoo was/is a no-smoking symbol with, inside it, the words, "Running dog lackey for capitalist overlords." I never have been and I never will be. The only places I'll probably never get tattoos will be my face and neck (well, I can think of one or two other spots...).

My next tattoo will be a portrait of my all-time favorite American poet, Richard Hugo. I wrote a letter poem to him (he inspired me to write letter poems) in which I say that he'll be the only poet who ever sits on my shoulder, frankly saying Yes good and No bad very bad. Soon enough, he will indeed be perched there looking on. And I know with absolute certainty that I have no interest in and will never find myself working at a job where tattoos would be an issue. But then, it's been many, many years since I reckoned with the fact that I'll probably scramble to make the rent every month for the rest of my life. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
adamgottschalk said:
There of course are very clear class differences in the US, though many/most of us try and pretend they're not there. Generally, it's the lower classes who are painfully aware of their standing (while the upper crust is painfully unaware of anyone other than themselves). It is common to talk of "blue collar" work and blue collar workers. It is also common for "blue collars" to talk about vague ideas like "priced for the working man" or "that's something a working man can relate to." And, often, if you are not a blue-collar worker and have no high-paying office job--like say you're a starving artist like me--you get to feeling as though you're just on no one's radar at all and that the life of an artist, a poet, a painter, a playwright, is completely marginalized in this country. Especially if you're not an "academic artist" with the support of academia behind you. But then, even if you are, neither blue-collar workers nor office people can relate.

"You do what?"

"I contemplate. I write plays and poems and philosophy."

"Oh, I get it--you need to get a friggin' job!"

No matter how ugly things get, I look forward than anything else in my life to a weekly "poetry" show I attend and perform in. A bunch of brilliant, irreverent, drunken writers. Heaven on earth for me. No such thing as "class" in that room.

Okay, you just read my mind. Dont do that! Scary :)

LD

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Firstly hello everybody! This is my first post, you all seem like a great bunch so I am very much looking forward to chatting to you all.

Picked up this thread as I am at the moment contemplating getting inked (in truth i've been thinking about it for years).

On the subject of class and who has tattoos its worth noting that Winston Churchill, Franklin D Roosevelt, Thomas Edison, Prince Charles and whole host of Royalty going back to King Harold II sported tattoos.

I would argue that despite the current trend to emulate popular musicians and sportsman, tattoos themselves are more ubiquitous.

How you wear them counts for a lot. I dont suppose many of us here wear a vest and tracksuit bottoms when out on the town but this is the kind of image disparaging image that springs to mind when one thinks of who typically would sport a tat.

On the subject of age I believe that not thinking about how it will look when you are older is precisely the point.The tattoo expresses rebeliousness and not caring about the future. In way can be a badge of confidence saying 'why waste my time worrying about getting old'. If i'm lucky enough to make it to 90 and if i've had that tattoo done it wont look so good but neither will. I'm sure it would make me smile to look at it and remember a younger, crazier me.

Sort of rambled on for my first post, apologees.:eek:

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Just got to the Lounge a few weeks ago and thought I would throw in my two cents.

I have five tattoos, eagle on my right shoulder, wizard on my left shoulder, a design from an AC-130 gunship nose art on my left shoulder blade, three interlocking circles with my daughters birthstone colors in them that are ties together with my birthstone in the middle on the left side of my chest, and a Minuteman with the National Colors behind it just below the eagle.

The eagle and wizard are the only flash ones with the Minuteman and circles being my own designs.

My first, the eagle, was done several years before the current trend. It took me several years to decide on the second and the others have been a few years apart. They are all placed so they can be covered if necessary, and with the current Air Force regs that comes in handy at times. Not that any of mine violate the regulations.

I thought for a pretty good while before ever getting my first and have put a good amount of thought into the others I have gotten. More so into the last three, one representing my bond with my three daughters and two representing my military background.

Here is something I never got though. Once while I was in one of the local shops there were a couple guys looking and one decided on a design. He told the guy with him that he was getting it on his back so if he got tired of looking at it he would not have to see it. My thought is that if you have any inkling that you would regret or get tired of it, why get a tattoo?

Edited to add photos.
Here is the Minuteman. As you can see, I need to get the eagle touched up.
NewInkcopyII.jpg

This is the nose art design.
SpookyPatch.jpg

Cobden

Practically Family
Personally, I've never been too keen on them - it just strikes me as mutilation (I feel the same about piercings). I suppose it's okay on men's arms - especially those in careers where it is traditional- but on women I find it a bit of a turn off (but then, I find pierced ears a turn off).

Just my tuppeneth!

Jay

Practically Family
I have a dark blue line drawing of the old Army Air Force logo on my upper left shoulder. I got it because: A-I love the era, B-I am going to be a pilot(Which is why I'm at Embry-Riddle right now) and C-I got it with my nephew Steve and my best friend Mike. Those are the two closest friends I have right now and looking at my tattoo, I'll always be reminded of that day. It was only like the third week in July, but I still laugh at Mikes reaction when the...Tattoo artist I guess they're called, started tattooing his shoulder blade. And how I sat there in a white T-shirt and blue jeans and didn't take off my Wayfarers. It's just goofy stuff, but its these experiences that make life worth living.
Besides, it's far enough up on my arm that I can wear a close fitting T-shirt and you still can't see it. That was my chief concern if I was still going to dress to the nines a couple times a week. Well, that's just my two cents...

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
tats...

I have seen some good tattoos but seen two bad ones that stand out in my mind...
1st was an older gentleman that had a cheap black ink tattoo of a Rabbit on his beer belly, the rabbit wasn't bad until you look at it and seen where the rabbit's tail was just above the gentleman's belly button...putting a new meaning to "Down the Rabbit-Hole".
2nd was on a young kid with a full anatomically correct naked lady on his chest and she was "playing" with herself...can you imagine him explaining that to his grandkids ?

I am in favor of Tattoos myself, if they are done right !

stylin

Familiar Face
Tatts are cool if....

You've given it plenty of time to do the research on a Clean place of establishment, skilled artist, and have seriously thought about getting after much time.

{Don't just walk in a tatt shop when drunk or on the wim...you'll regret getting it eventually.}

I thought about getting a tatt for over 5 years before doing the deed!!! I finally decided to get one and then draw the concept design myself. I went to a a shop that I had heard from several people was a ver good choice.

Needless to say the tatt's got meaning in my life. It's an eagle with a cross entangled in an olive branch--written Isaiah 40:31

I've gotten another one on my back below my neckline....The Christian fish symbol.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Yeah I like tattoos that are in places you can hide like on your upper arm. Its nice to have options. I'd get one but I cant think of anything i need to have on me forever lol. However I do draw tribals and such with assorted colored sharpies so I can have a new tat every day (I'm a college student taking "Principles of Macroeconomics"...sue me for being bored enough to draw on myself lol)

Once I drew a faithful reproduction of an NFL receivers glove on my hand... that was two hours of sheer boredom and lots of black and silver ink...

BJonas

One of the Regulars
My tattoo

I have a tattoo of The Shadow ('cause I'm a giant geek) on my upper left arm. That's it as my avatar, by the way, only it's in color. I'm positive I'll never regret it. The Shadow was my introduction to the 30's and 40's, and represents everything that's unique and stylish about the era that I fell in love with.

I'm contemplating a new one. I'm thinking a trylon and perisphere like the '39 World's Fair. Maybe a Zep'.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Closing this thread...

This has run its course... As the new bartender here, I'm exercising my prerogative and shutting er down... Thanks for all of your contributions, but this forum is going to be about collections of things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran