Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do FL readers stand on tattooing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good question!!!!

I've managed to get through five decades with nary a piercing nor a tat. I grew up believing that only drunken sailors got either.

Now it seems only those with the attitudes of drunken sailors get tattoes and piercings! I'm a Libertarian, so I believe that one owns their own body and can make any decision about how the use it (or abuse!) that they desire.

That does not preclude others though from having opinions about such silly use of resources and artless body graffiti. It seems to be true, that some tasteless individuals will put "art" on their bodies that will last a lifetime that they otherwise would not display for a moment in their own living room.

I for one can't wait for this tiresome trend to come to an end along with shaved heads and baggy, low-slung shorts.

-dixon cannon

Benny Holiday

skillbilly said:
It took me a long time to decide on getting tattooed. I currently have three, and it was 3 years between each one. My first was at 30 as I waited until I was sure. This is my favorite to date. Retro/vintage inspired
tat.jpg

That's one handy lady there, Skillbilly! Great artwork, she looks three-dimensional.

green papaya

One Too Many
in the Golden Era, a conservative person would never ever get a tattoo! I think they look inappropriate for the golden era image, unless your dressing up in an old sailor's outfit.

back then tats were for old sailors , whores, circus side show freaks

another thing I noticed is a lot of wannabe biker types with brand new Harley Davidson motorcycles getting a bunch of tats / full arm tats for that biker image, it looks so ridiculous in my opinion, because so many people have a tattoo these days , it's more of a trendy thing to do I geuss?

you dont have to wait until your 80 for your tattoo to fade and get all wrinkly, Ive seen plenty of people under 60 that already have messed up tats from too much sun exposure

what I dont understand, is why do you feel the need to permanently alter your body to express yourself? why not buy a nice style of clothing or wear nice jewelry, something that isnt permanent.

they make a person look "trashy" especially on females

but if it makes you happy, it's your body

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
green papaya said:
another thing I noticed is a lot of wannabe biker types with brand new Harley Davidson motorcycles getting a bunch of tats / full arm tats for that biker image, it looks so ridiculous in my opinion, because so many people have a tattoo these days , it's more of a trendy thing to do I geuss?

I tend to agree with ya, especially on this point. I'm sick to death of the tough guy wannabees I see all the time now.
Last Friday I stopped for gas just as one of these all too typical biker dudes roared into the station, too loud and also too fast. (Respectometer dropped to 30% immediately)
He strides up to the counter behind which there are two clerks, a guy and a girl.
He says to the guy in his best devil-may-care, I'm-SO-cool-and-your-not affectation,..."Hey dude, I just need to use your *#z5er." (my euphemism for his term for a restroom)
(Respectometer then dips below zero!) :mad:
I think to myself,..."What a class act,.... :eusa_doh: :mad:"

I really believe that these types are just extremely insecure for the most part, and completely immature. They lack self esteem and hence they also have no real self confidence, so they must try to impress and/or intimidate others by putting on airs.
They're not fooling me,.......

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
green papaya said:
in the Golden Era, a conservative person would never ever get a tattoo! I think they look inappropriate for the golden era image, unless your dressing up in an old sailor's outfit.

So you're admitting there were non conservative people back then.

Welcome to 2006 where the conservative people have tats too.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sage Advise From The Ozzman.

In an episode of the"Osbourne's", the prodigiously decorated Ozzie tries to talk his daughter out of getting her first tattoo. He says," When I got all these tats, it was about being a rebel because nobody had them, now my lawyer and accountant have them". He adds, "Now you're being a rebel if you ain't got any".

Dixon Cannon

Woo Hoo....

Tomasso said:
In an episode of the"Osbourne's", the prodigiously decorated Ozzie tries to talk his daughter out of getting her first tattoo. He says," When I got all these tats, it was about being a rebel because nobody had them, now my lawyer and accountant have them". He adds, "Now you're being a rebel if you ain't got any".

I'm a rebel!! Finally!!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:

This really is a true observation. Reminds me of something my father said to me once,..."Do you want to be a leader, or a follower?"

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
NOW I 've got it, I think.

I think I want a very WWII nose art pinup on my arm. Nothing nudie or that I would be ashamed to have seen, but something like your very wonderful jacket art, Major Nick.

Now I need to collect images.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Not having a tattoo is the new having a tattoo.

That said, hearing "in the 40s only whores and sailors had tattoos" as justification for disliking tattoos is completely distasteful to me. There were some social injustices that were the norm in the 40s (against women and minorities for example), shall we espouse those ideals too?

Stay honest, people.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I watch a show on A&E called "Inked" about a tattoo parlor in Las Vegas. You see some interesting tattoos that customers get. This last week they showed a father and his 2 daughters who came in and got the cotton symbol (the symbol they have on packages of socks) tattooed on them because their last name is Cotton. One of the daughters was like " even when my dad passes, we'll have something to still feel connected to him." It was kind of a sweet sentiment. If I ever got another tattoo, it'd be of Pooh in Indy clothes. But my fiance is so opposed to tattoos that out of respect, I won't be getting another one. He's gone as far to ask if one day I might want to get mine removed. I was like "no way."

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
NOW I 've got it, I think.

I think I want a very WWII nose art pinup on my arm. Nothing nudie or that I would be ashamed to have seen, but something like your very wonderful jacket art, Major Nick.

Now I need to collect images.

Dang! Now you're talkin'! If I were to get one my own self it would be a vintage nose art pinup kind of tattoo. Only trouble is,...I would have to do it myself in order to get it just right. :rolleyes:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Dang! Now you're talkin'! If I were to get one my own self it would be a vintage nose art pinup kind of tattoo. Only trouble is,...I would have to do it myself in order to get it just right. :rolleyes:

So.
Ever worked with needles?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
British Army Officer training (early 80's)

I know when I did the Pre-RCB and RCB (Regular Commissions Board) in the early 80's, prior to Officer training at RMA Sandhurst, it was frowned upon for a potential officer to have a tattoo (and I'm pretty sure it was the same for our colleagues at the likes of West Point or Annapolis, Md).
I personally would not have one on my body and I come from an enchanted land where the likes of Regt. tattoos, or paramilitary tattoos or Red Hands are commonly sported!

But far be it for me to advise others what to do, as I dare say plenty of people out there would look at me and think: "What a silly man in a hat, or a flying jacket, or a Flynnesque moustache!!" Just cannot please all the people all of the time I guess, so don't bother trying.

We all make our own decisions, live with them and be prepared to take what is thrown at us for making those decisions in this life :) Especially if they are very public things like a tattoo or wearing a hat.

Sachet

Familiar Face
I've been contemplating the intriguing idea of a tattoo for a few years now. The plethora of information available online now makes it so easy and interesting to research. There are some truly amazing artists out there.

The stories behind some tattoo's are often multifaceted. Recently, I saw a tattoo of an adorable baby on a man. His child is terminally ill and the tattoo is his way of capturing a precious moment in time, permanently. It's comforting to him and brings him joy.

Personally, I just couldn't decide where I wanted something that would be with me for the rest of my life. A recent surgery has made that decision very easy. The scar is certainly not going to disappear and I'd much rather see a beautiful tattoo that symbolizes hope and celebration. From my research I've learned that I have to wait a year and that gives me more than enough time to finesse my own design and find an artist that meshes with my personality and will work with me to create what I envision. I'm looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy