Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where does vintage begin and end for you?

Jools

New in Town
There is an end? Consider this; at the Swedish Club in town, all 7 display cases are filled with my evening gowns, gloves, purses, hats, cigarette cases, cigarette holders, jewelry, fur stoles, ad infinitum (the theme of our annual gala and auction was Sweden Goes to Hollywood...Garbo, Bergman,etc.) and I am ashamed to say, that it didn't make even a tiny dent in my collection of stuff.

But my real love is accessories- hats, gloves, purses, evening bags. Yesterday I picked up an adorable cobalt blue wool 1940's jacket with interesting lapels, a gold metal evening bag from the '40s, and snatched back a 1940s fedora that I had on sale at a consignment store. (I'd post a picture if I could- it's oyster colored felt, with a rust band and cool rust colored feathers- and the brim is, well, square in front. Tres chic.)

As far as dates- my sense of "vintage" ends about 1970.

rue

Oh wow! Thank you both!! Actually I thought it would show up under birthdays on the main page, but it doesn't. Anyway, I'm happy to be here no matter what age ;) Foofoogal... I loved my 30s, but the 40s are seemingly even better!

rue

There is an end? Consider this; at the Swedish Club in town, all 7 display cases are filled with my evening gowns, gloves, purses, hats, cigarette cases, cigarette holders, jewelry, fur stoles, ad infinitum (the theme of our annual gala and auction was Sweden Goes to Hollywood...Garbo, Bergman,etc.) and I am ashamed to say, that it didn't make even a tiny dent in my collection of stuff.

But my real love is accessories- hats, gloves, purses, evening bags. Yesterday I picked up an adorable cobalt blue wool 1940's jacket with interesting lapels, a gold metal evening bag from the '40s, and snatched back a 1940s fedora that I had on sale at a consignment store. (I'd post a picture if I could- it's oyster colored felt, with a rust band and cool rust colored feathers- and the brim is, well, square in front. Tres chic.)

As far as dates- my sense of "vintage" ends about 1970.

Actually, I personally don't think there's an end ;) BUT for some there is. I was just curious where it was for everyone. Oh and there needs to be pics woman! I'm drooling just thing about that jacket ;)

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
More Birthday wishes!!!

Sorry for being a little off topic but I want to join Hadley in wishing every Scorpio a happy Birthday especially Binkie Baumont who without which The Fedora Lounge simply would just be another stop on the road...:D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for being a little off topic but I want to join Hadley in wishing every Scorpio a happy Birthday especially Binkie Baumont who without which The Fedora Lounge simply would just be another stop on the road...:D

Second and third that!

Binkie!!!:D

scorpio1.gif

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
1946 is my favorite year but I'm a huge fan of 30s and 40s pop culture. Another time I'll complain about the 50s.
I like original clothes from those decades but also wear repros.
I love my 78s but also listin to old music on CDs.
I collect old pulp magazines but also buy reprints.
I have also collected old radio shows on tape and CD for decades.
I've been a fan of 20s-40s movies since I was a child. Even the ones that people think are hokey have a certain charm to me.
I also love design from that era.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

P.S. I also wish you a happy birthday. My youngest just turned thirteen on Guy Fawkes Day and my father just turned 82 a few days ago.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You ask where does vintage begin and end for you?

and the answer for me is in my mind (inside as oppose to outside if that makes sense for you) >>> books, music...

If i happen to come across a vintage ashtray, or an art deco mirror, an old hat, etc... and it's within what i can afford, and i dont have spend too much energy looking for the object, sure i go for it, why not.

Otherwise, vintage mainly lives in my mind.

HadleyH - you took the words right out of my mouth...;)

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Gilboa,
I can relate to everything you wrote and especially this:

By the way, have you posted your home in the vintage home thread yet? I would love to see it :)

I decided against it. It is a very chaotic place as it is mine and my partners workshop, basically, and therefore every room is full of wood and fabric. And I'm afraid it is therefore not very photogenic, but it surely is lived in! ;)

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh..well..I'm not sure if it stops. If it does, it is probably because of what is outside my time capsule ;)
I wear vintage,read antique books & magazines,watch old films and programmes/documentaries/news,listen to old music and radio,have mostly antique interior,my house is a lumber cabin from 1950. When all that is said I still am thankful for modern medicine,hygiene and science in general. ..and internet ;)

Edward

Bartender
Nothing wrong with cuffed jeans at 40! I wear them with my saddle shoes and I turned 41 today ;)

I fear I find that rather hard to believe.... not the wardrobe choice, your age. Based on your photos, I'd say that was a typo and the first digit should have been a key to the left! Hope you have a great day.

rue

I fear I find that rather hard to believe.... not the wardrobe choice, your age. Based on your photos, I'd say that was a typo and the first digit should have been a key to the left! Hope you have a great day.

You are my new best friend :D

Thank you again for all the birthday wishes everyone and Happy Birthday to my fellow scorpios too :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I sew my own clothing from vintage patterns, but I don't wear or like real vintage clothing. And I even wear those slobby ole jeans half the time.

I listen to "golden era" music, but it's in my very modern iPod alongside music from the 1890s to today. If I had to listen to one type of music for the rest of my life I would kill myself.

We have an occasional authentic vintage furniture piece or accessory, ie my 1941 waterfall buffett, my 1934 Philco, and my 1930s salt & pepper shakers, but it's mixed in with IKEA chic.

I collect vintage magazines. I know more about the vintage way of life than the modern.

I pretty much only watch and like movies made pre-1942ish. I just didin't like very many movies I've seen after that and I think most modern films are "empty." Just my opinion, though. I have no issues with people liking any movie from any time period.

I do my hair and makeup vintage-y everyday. Even if I'm not dressed it. I also wear prescription cat's eyes.

So yea. I'm probably 50/50 when it comes to the vintage lifestyle. I like the aesthetics and I enjoy learning about the era and I ADORE the popular culture, but I'm well aware that it's 2010, I love it, and would only go back in time if I knew I could come back.

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Concerning my home I have a general rule. If it didn't exist in 1937 I'm not buying it...with some major exceptions of course.

The thing that I haven't delved into is clothing. I don't wear vintage clothing or styles but that's something that I plan to explore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For me it started the day they wrapped me up in one of my mother's old diapers. Only we didn't call it vintage, we called it "hand-me-downs." That's the environment I grew up in, and I'm still comfortable there, both aesthetically and culturally. If the rest of the world wants to go somewhere else, that's their business, but I'm staying put.

rue

If I had to listen to one type of music for the rest of my life I would kill myself.
I also wear prescription cat's eyes.

I laughed out loud about the music lol

As for the eyes.... I HAVE to see that :)

Concerning my home I have a general rule. If it didn't exist in 1937 I'm not buying it...with some major exceptions of course.

I would LOVE to see the inside of your house.

For me it started the day they wrapped me up in one of my mother's old diapers. Only we didn't call it vintage, we called it "hand-me-downs." That's the environment I grew up in, and I'm still comfortable there, both aesthetically and culturally. If the rest of the world wants to go somewhere else, that's their business, but I'm staying put.

Lizzie.... I see you everywhere on this board and I love your humor and admire your dedication to the past. I so wish I could live by you and visit your theater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy