Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to start?

bacchantin

New in Town
I am completely new to all of this.
First of all: I don't know how to handle make-up at all. At most I can apply some concealer (but will look like I have huge white circles under my eyes). When I use mascara it will end up all over my eyes not on my lashes and don't even get me started on lipstick and rouge. I never even touched them.
My hair is just pin straight and rebellious. When I curl it with flexi rollers over night, my hair will be back to straight by lunch.
Overall I am a complete failure in the beauty department.

I was always fascinated by the looks and the fashion of the 30s, 40s and 50s.

In 4 weeks I am planning to go to Nina's Hair Parlour in London to get a really pretty and nice hair cut and maybe some instructions on how to style it properly.

What styles would you suggest and do you have any tips and ideas to somehow get my 20-year-old self to a prettier place?

Thank you all so much. And this forum is such a great inspiration and help... thank you...

Tatum

Practically Family
Hi bacchantin and welcome.

I'm sure one of the bartenders would reference this thread, as it covers most of what you are asking...

But as far as makeup goes, try this link. Return2Style has a very simple outline of shape and color palette.

Also, do a YouTube search for vintage makeup in your chosen decade.

:)
Tatum

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
You might also try youtube. Fleur de Guerre taught me how to apply lipstick the 40s way and made it super easy for me :). You will also find lots of hair help over there. It is a great source.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I am completely new to all of this.
First of all: I don't know how to handle make-up at all. At most I can apply some concealer (but will look like I have huge white circles under my eyes). When I use mascara it will end up all over my eyes not on my lashes and don't even get me started on lipstick and rouge. I never even touched them.

How do you know you can't do it if you never tried? Go to superdrug, buy yourself some cheap rubbish, lock yourself in the bathroom and have a play. It's like fingerpainting on your face. Some days I come out looking like a drag queen that's been ridden hard and put away wet, and some days I look like a ravishing princess. Both outcomes are good learning experiences. Then when you have a bit of confidence with how the cosmetics work and feel, you might even be able to leave the house! It just takes a bit of time and practice, and referring to some of the excellent youtube tutorials that have been referenced.

ktrex

New in Town
I used to be just like you. Both hair and makeup were out of my reach. I slowly learned how to put on eyeliner, then mascara a few months later, and only in the past year have I done anything with face powder or lips. I've only in the past few months learned to do anything fancier than a bun in my hair! Youtube is a wonderful resource, I just search for "vintage hairstyle how to" and practice, practice, practice. Seriously. You feel like nothing's happening forever and then one day, that roll comes out perfect.

Get a lot of bobby pins, and setting lotion (I use lottabody from Sally Beauty) is my saving grace. keep in mind that for lots of vintage hair sets, you have to put them in the night before and let them dry overnight.

If you're nervous about anything, go slow. No one will notice you're suddenly wearing eyeliner. No one will notice suddenly you have foundation/coverup on. Try stuff out in your bathroom, and get used to wearing it around the house. Now I feel weird leaving without trying to do something to my hair.

Lusty Haze

New in Town
Firstly, you need to buy some basics for your hair and makeup.
I would suggest going to somewhere like MAC and ask to try some products. You're not obliged to buy anything, but for things like concealer and/or foundation you'll need to get colour matched so you know what shades suit your skin tone.

Youtube is an incredibly useful tool for hair tutorials and makeup tutorials too. They normally list all the equipment they've used, so just write yourself a shopping list and pick up the basic bits from Boots or Sally's or whatever.

Basically, just research as much as you can and experiment! Have fun and play around :)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I second the suggestion of going to Boots/Superdrug and arming yourself with some cheap makeup, just so you can play around and not feel too out of pocket! Superdrug has the MUA range where everything is £1, they have a surprising range of products and colours.

Also, take the time to browse this forum and make use of the search function to find out more about particular aspects of vintage style you are interested in.

Most importantly (I think!) don't be intimidated or feel that you need to be wearing vintage dresses and red lippy and sleeping in rollers every night! Take everything one step at a time! My hair, clothing and makeup has evolved to become more authentically 40s and 50s-looking (I hope!) as I've found a routine that I'm comfortable with. But don't worry about any of that now!

There are also a couple of threads on 'dressing vintage without attracting attention' and other such topics for wary newcomers, if you have a browse round here and the Powder Room. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo