Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which are your top 3 "Golden Age," American movie studios?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Yes, this is rather broad in scope, considering the time-frame and productivity, but here goes...

Unlike today, most studio productions had a certain look to them, and it was often (not always) easy to tell which studio made which film. Warners movies often had a "real" feel to them, especially their gangster and Noir films. MGM often featured "high gloss." Republic Pictures, particularly their serials, featured great miniature special effects. And, of course, many actors were identified with certain studios, at least at various times. If you're watching a 1930s movie with Bogart, Flynn, or Robinson, it's very probably a Warner Bros. film. A 1940s film featuring Tyrone Power or Rita Hayworth is likely from 20th Century Fox. 1930s with Karloff? Good odds it's a Universal Picture. And so on...

So of the posted list, which would you consider your three favorite major producers of American Golden Age motion pictures? NOTE: I have confined the poll to major studios of the sound era. United Artists is not included because it was primarily a releaser of films. Forgive me if I left a studio out (we're allowed a maximum of ten choices on a poll).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner