Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Monopoly Game is Vintage?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Since the birth of my son has curtailed our social life for a bit, my wife and I are thinking about playing board games.

I read about the repro Monopoly game in CLASSIC STYLE but, as I look online, there are several kinds. One is even the 1935 style though feedback on Amazon, someone complains it is cheap and poorly made.

Anyone have any of these editions?

Are there any other vintage/retro board games out there?

As always, thanks for the info!

BRS

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I bought the white-box 1935 repro for one of my nieces for Christmas a couple years back -- it's not quite as well-made as an original, but it's still quite well done, and stands up well to play. The kid has become quite the Monopoly shark!

A basic original vintage set in decent condition isn't all that expensive -- I have several, and I dont think I ever paid more than $20 for one. The deluxe versions will cost more, but the common editions with the small box for the game pieces and a separate board are very plentiful and very affordable.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
One of the complaints online was the deeds in the new repro set are flimsy compared to the original. Is it true and that noticable?

BRS

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The originals used a thick sort of pasteboard for the deed cards -- the repros are on a thinner, glossier card stock. It's noticeable, but unless you're playing constantly I don't think it'd be a serious problem.

Miss Jones

New in Town
I hate to brag...but here goes. I have an original 1935 era (I haven't pinpointed the exact date) All I'm missing is a few bucks. Bought for $15. Not too shabby, eh?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That set reminds me of a whole series of wooden-boxed vintage game reissues that someone put out in the last couple years -- not Parker Brothers itself, but someone licensing their products. They had a classic-era version of Monopoly, along with late-40s editions of "Clue" and "Sorry," both of which are excellent choices for the vintage board game enthusiast.

I have an original 1939 edition of "Sorry" that my niece just loved when she was younger and more ferocious -- "SORRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
That set reminds me of a whole series of wooden-boxed vintage game reissues that someone put out in the last couple years -- not Parker Brothers itself, but someone licensing their products. They had a classic-era version of Monopoly, along with late-40s editions of "Clue" and "Sorry," both of which are excellent choices for the vintage board game enthusiast.

I think what you are remembering the Target store exclusive vintage games in wooden bookcase editions. They are made by Parker Bros/Harbro.

This weekend, I bought Monoply and Scrabble for $20 a piece. They are not total reproductions but are nicely made. My only complaint is the board is folded up into quarters to fit inside the smaller box. Target has Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Yahtzee, Sorry and Clue. A real nice collection.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
There was a release in NZ a year or so ago of a classic Monoploy set in a wooden box with metal players' pieces, which looked very,very nice. Cluedo was also rereleased here in the same series with wooden box and the original drawings on the cards and boards (so much better than that hokey modern set).

Might be worth seeing is that was released where you are or hunting one down online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes