Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Panama Hat?

ProfessorShak

New in Town
Hey Gang,

Summer is almost here and although I already have a straw hat, the tapered crown and wider brim just doesn't cut it for me...
IMG_0268.jpg

I'm looking to get a new one. One with a straight sided crown and a 2 1/2 inch brim. While I was looking for a center dent hat that fits that description, I couldn't find anything. My budget is between $40-70 and I've come up with these two hats

http://delmonicohatter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IT545&Category_Code=SH1

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/ecpahat.html

Unfortunatly I can't get a front view of the hat so I don't know whether the sides are straight or not, but I do know the brim is the size I want. I also figured that since both hats have C-Crowns that the sides should be straight.

So unless someone has a better option, or better pictures of these hats, which one do you think would work out best? Thanks

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Of those two, I think the Stetson might be your better bet. However, Indycop is right. Check to see if Panamabob has anything in your price range first. Otherwise, it may be impossible to find a straight-sided straw fedora without ordering custom.... naturally more expensive.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panama Bob hats are great. I have two of his and am happy with both. The only negative is you have to wait. Custom/tailor made for you.
I also have one from http://panamahatsdirect.com/ that I enjoy. It had the "immediate gratification" edge because they have "in house stock" But I would call to make sure they have what you want in stock.
Johnny

epr25

Practically Family
I know this has been covered but I can not find it. I recently purchased a vintage panama for my husband. I have some concerned with the crispness of the straw. It is not breaking but I was wondering if there was a sort of straw conditioner of sorts? Any help or direction to the correct thread would be very appreciated!

ProfessorShak

New in Town
Rick Blaine said:
Stetson Retro for $40 at Falkoff's

But honestly, save youself alot of frustration and go to P.B. I recently got a retro & was quite disapointed by the low tapered crown.

I don't mind a little taper and as long as the crown is at least 4 1/2 inches. The taper in my hat shown above is too much for me though. I've been trying to find a photo of what the Retro looks from the front but haven't had any success. I'm sure PB is great but the price is high and I'd have to wait for him to make it. I'm looking for something that If lost could easily be replaced.

Rick Blaine

ProfessorShak said:
I don't mind a little taper and as long as the crown is at least 4 1/2 inches. The taper in my hat shown above is too much for me though. I've been trying to find a photo of what the Retro looks from the front but haven't had any success. I'm sure PB is great but the price is high and I'd have to wait for him to make it. I'm looking for something that If lost could easily be replaced.

...eh, to call it 4.5" is a stretch, closer to 4.25", other than that I liked it very much. PB's eBay stuff is said to be in stock ready to ship 3-4 day delivery and I have seen none over $50. I keep waiting for more brown Indys to appear but the diamonte is nice looking as well.

johnnycanuck

First: the off topic question form epr25. Moisture, just take it into the bathroom next time you have a shower so the steam gets to it. That should help.

ProfessorShak: I would still give Panama Bob a call and see if he has anything kicking around in your price range that would suit your needs. There is no harm in asking.

I would also still consider the $45 Cuinca's from Panama hats direct. They will most likely have the same sun blocking power as the ones you are looking at and have the added advantage of being an actual panama hat (bragging rights). As it had been pointed out here from time to time, you will be helping employ skilled workers.

Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael