Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whippet dimensions?

Hello all, I am doing a little research and need a bit of input. For all you lucky whippet owners out there, could you fill me in on some of the dimensions, the brim width, how tall is the crown, how wide is the ribbon on the crown as well as th brim... and so on. Thanks in advance!
Cheers all!
SoaP

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's mine.....

Whippet004.jpg

Whippet003.jpg

Size 7
Crown....4 1/2" creased ( I have mine tapered though)
bound brim....2 1/2", 3/8" trim
grosgrain....1 3/4"
sweat....2"

Great hats, good luck and happy hunting. :D

SWEET!

Nice hat Bolthead! Very few hats can measure up I'm sure. I am still waiting to snag one in my price range, I've seen them go upwards of 200.00!! For those kinds of prices I'll just save a little extra and have Art build me a clone.
Thanks to everyone for there input.:D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks.....

SonOfaPreacher said:
Nice hat Bolthead! Very few hats can measure up I'm sure. I am still waiting to snag one in my price range, I've seen them go upwards of 200.00!! For those kinds of prices I'll just save a little extra and have Art build me a clone.
Thanks to everyone for there input.:D
I guess it all depends on what size your mellon is. If you're as fortuntate as myself to be able to wear a size 7 and even sometimes a 6 7/8, lol you can be patient and snag them fairly cheap off that auction site. :rolleyes:

I got this little beauty for a mere $40, shipped. :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
I guess it all depends on what size your mellon is. If you're as fortuntate as myself to be able to wear a size 7 and even sometimes a 6 7/8, lol you can be patient and snag them fairly cheap off that auction site. :rolleyes:

I got this little beauty for a mere $40, shipped. :D
:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Oh I wish!

Nope I usualy wear a size 7 1/8 and if padded slightly a 7 1/4, so most whippets are out of my range at the moment. I'll just be patient and save the old cashola and wait it it out.
SoaP

Spellflower

Practically Family
Okay, I finally got around to it (read: I have reports due tomorrow and I'm procrastinating.)

Mine measures:
crown: 5 1/4
brim: 2 1/2
ribbon: 1 3/4

Anyone have any ideas about date?

Click the top pic for my original post about this hat:

2262946191_f7e01d6f00.jpg

2262946165_35b780999c.jpg

Dinerman, when was your Whippet from? I'm trying to imagine mine 5/8 of an inch higher, and I'm getting vertigo!

Spellflower

Practically Family
Mine measures about 5 1/4" at the top of the open crown, but it's hard to be exact because of the curve of the top. Still, it's definitely way under 5 7/8".

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Spellflower, early 50s, as Dinerman said :D

Most Whippet's are 5 3/4 crown, 18 ligne ribbon, 2 1/2 brim bound in 9 ligne but the crown height did vary as well as the brim width

Spellflower

Practically Family
Thanks Art. I thought Dinerman was referring to his Whippet as being early 50's. It's possible mine is 5 3/4 high and I'm just mis-measuring. I don't have a ruler, so it's tricky.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Each of my Whippets has a different brim width -- 2 3/8", 2 1/2", and 2 5/8", respectively. Two of them have open crowns of approximately 5 1/2", one is a bit under that. I think there was a period in the 50's where the crown height became a bit shorter compared to the earlier, higher crowns. You can see the evolution of this if you check out ads from the 40's/50's.

Over time, it seems the common elements on Whippets included a 1 3/4" ribbon and a 3/8" edge binding that was a uniform width above and below the brim (thanks to Art for putting this in more precise ligne terms :)).

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters