Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Suits

Feraud

Bartender
I never realized how dirty NYC is until I wear light colored clothing.
White/light color suits can be a chore to keep clean. Every and bit of grit is attracted to you.
Last week I met a few Loungers for lunch. How many of these guys made it home stain free?
2638187154_ea44ee4ea8.jpg

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
I never realized how dirty NYC is until I wear light colored clothing.
White/light color suits can be a chore to keep clean. Every and bit of grit is attracted to you.
Last week I met a few Loungers for lunch. How many of these guys made it home stain free?
2638187154_ea44ee4ea8.jpg

This is one sharp looking group. :eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
I still can't do the stark white. Cream or ivory yes... Even that orange rusty linen... but white is too fussy for me... even a tux jacket for me has to be cream.

Agree wholeheartedly...rust is a great colour too Matt!:eusa_clap

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Resurrected ice cream suit...

I have an eggshell suit from Banana Republic in Italian linen, a fairly heavy oxford weave, bought circa 1998. It had spent a few years on the DL after mysterious brown stains began emerging with every dry cleaning. I'd send it back and it would return with bleached spots around the brown ones - and more brown ones. My cleaner had a vendetta against that suit.

Anyway, this past week I said to myself that I had to try to save it, even if nothing worked. So I handwashed it in cold water in the laundry room splash tub with Imus GTC, an all natural detergent and pretreater that's gentle and good with stains. It didn't get all of them out, but they were a lot paler than before.

My plan B was to rub the stains with Tide-to-Go, a spot remover pen. I let that sit overnight, then rinsed the suit out in cold water and spin dried it on low heat. The liner let go in a spot or two, nothing bad, but the discoloration is all but gone and the suit is presentable once again! :D

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
My plan B was to rub the stains with Tide-to-Go, a spot remover pen. I let that sit overnight, then rinsed the suit out in cold water and spin dried it on low heat. The liner let go in a spot or two, nothing bad, but the discoloration is all but gone and the suit is presentable once again! :D
I say always have a Plan B!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
I have an eggshell suit from Banana Republic in Italian linen, a fairly heavy oxford weave, bought circa 1998. It had spent a few years on the DL after mysterious brown stains began emerging with every dry cleaning. I'd send it back and it would return with bleached spots around the brown ones - and more brown ones. My cleaner had a vendetta against that suit.

Anyway, this past week I said to myself that I had to try to save it, even if nothing worked. So I handwashed it in cold water in the laundry room splash tub with Imus GTC, an all natural detergent and pretreater that's gentle and good with stains. It didn't get all of them out, but they were a lot paler than before.

I have a hemp weight cream linen suit I had made a few years ago. I deliberately had it made unstructured because I had enough linen to double it round as a lining rather than using interfacing. It started to get your problem Fletch what with the spotting etc so the drycleaner laundered it intelligently in something like oxyclean and it worked ...though there was very minor shrinkage for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR