Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White's Vintage in Black Chromexcel

nabottle

A-List Customer
These just came in the mail today. I ordered them exactly 8 weeks ago and that is the wait I was told I would have by Baker's when I ordered them. They are listed as VINTAGE on White's website and as VINTAGE PACKERS on Baker's website. I traced both of my feet and took the required measurements as required when you order a pair of White's. I mailed all of that in to Baker's and when they received it, they called. The guy I spoke with was very professional and told me he felt a 9D would be the best for me. He was EXACTLY RIGHT. I wear a 9.5D in Wolverine 1000 Mile and Allen Edmonds. I wear a 10 in Dr. Martens. The arch is more prominent on these compared to most boots I've owned - similar to cowboy boots. I can't wear these now due to torn ligaments in my right foot/ankle. SUCKS BIG TIME! However, I tried on the left one and it fit like a glove. The boots feel very substantial and I'll wager they'll last me a long time. They'll be used as my regular boots, not work boots. I can't speak for the comfort of wearing them all day yet. I will say that I am impressed with the craftsmanship. Very well made in my opinion.

By the way, they came with leather laces that appear to be waxed. I really like them.

frussell

One Too Many
Great boots. You're a brave man walking around in packers all day. I've used them horseback for many years, as I need the ankle support thar cowboy boots don't provide, but I've gone to a flatter "roper" heel for walking. That riding heel, which some call Cuban, just kills me after a while on foot. Frank

I have to say, while I can certainly appreciate the quality of such boots, I can't help but see old lady boots from 1890. It's the profile. And I just don't get it.

I definitely see your point. Honestly, most of my friends agree with you.
I really really want to like them. I just have that mental block with the profile. Seems odd shaped for a logger's boot. I had loggers in my family, and I never saw boots like that - although they do look like they could withstand the Zombie Apocalypse! lol

frussell

One Too Many
Lots of old cowboys I've known wear them, definitely not for logging. If you look at the top of the heel, you'll see it extends out into a "spur rest," or ledge. Most heels made like that are specifically for your spurs to sit on top of, since the underslung heel without a spur rest means your spurs would slip off a lot. Nothing more embarrassing, except your hat blowing off your head while mounted. When I first saw them, I had the same reaction as you, Scott - old lady boots. I got used to the weird look after seeing them on old timers I respected, but they sure hurt my feet if I have to walk far in them. Not for the flat-footed, you got to have some arches to wear these. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff