Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workboots, how should they be worn?

I like to wear my workboots...

• as beat up as possible

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • well worn

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • like I wear my dressshoes, polished to a high shine

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Nowadays, every shoe is a work shoe in one way or another. For different kinds of work.
In the TFL context, I think we're talking about boots that used to be worn by the working class. A pair of shoes that were sturdy enough to do hard work in every day, but also looked passable enough to be worn formally on a Sunday.
I always imagine redwings with that wedge rubber sole as the official workboots for the blue collar fashion style, I don't think enginer's boots as workboots, as I don't think anyone would climb up a ladder to roof top and walk around on narrow plank with cuban heels.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I always imagine redwings with that wedge rubber sole as the official workboots for the blue collar fashion style, I don't think enginer's boots as workboots, as I don't think anyone would climb up a ladder to roof top and walk around on narrow plank with cuban heels.
The interesting thing is the wedge sole moc toes were originally made for hunting, which is sport rather than work. Now I see wedge sole moc toes on construction guys more than anything else (not usually red wing even).

As someone who wears and adores engineers, I can say that I would never wear them to do any actual work. In fact, the whole 'engineer' thing where they were supposedly invented for stokers on trains is probably a myth. You csn see examples of several different military boots that were nearly engineers years before engineers were supposedly invented.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Where did you read they were intended for hunting? I’ve read several reports that contradict each other, but never hunting.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Where did you read they were intended for hunting? I’ve read several reports that contradict each other, but never hunting.
It comes from Red Wing themselves. I've heard it and read it multiple times. It was for hunters. In fairness, they could be wrong. Levi's doesn't know their own history, but I've never seen any information that contradicts that the original 877 introduced in 1952 was designed for sportsmen, not blue collar work.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Some early ads and a screenshot of Red Wing's website:
images (10).jpeg
images (12).jpeg
images (11).jpeg

Screenshot_20231229_101558_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231229_102009_Chrome.jpg

Obviously they did make work boots before this and since, but the original wedge sole moc toe, the 877, was not made for 'work.' It's got more heritage than the Iron Ranger though. That was invented in the 2000s to look like/imitate early 20th century work boots.

Attachments

• images (10).jpeg
    images (10).jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
  • images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 31
  • images (12).jpeg
    images (12).jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 34

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The interesting thing is the wedge sole moc toes were originally made for hunting, which is sport rather than work. Now I see wedge sole moc toes on construction guys more than anything else (not usually red wing even).

As someone who wears and adores engineers, I can say that I would never wear them to do any actual work. In fact, the whole 'engineer' thing where they were supposedly invented for stokers on trains is probably a myth. You csn see examples of several different military boots that were nearly engineers years before engineers were supposedly invented.
I can see engineer boots as a workboots the same way cowboy boots a work boots one shoveling coal the other shoveling manure. but probably the basic version of each boots, not the artisan version of them

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I can see engineer boots as a workboots the same way cowboy boots a work boots one shoveling coal the other shoveling manure. but probably the basic version of each boots, not the artisan version of them
Yeah its possible they were made for train stokers, but we don't have any actual proof of that. I don't know of any photos of train workers wearing them. If anyone does have any I'd love to see them. Would be extremely informative. I wish we knew more about the early history of engineer boots.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars

To wit, I have never seen a period photo of a train engineer wearing engineer boots.

Instead, here’s the Sears 1938 fall catalog, when Sears introduced the field boot with adjustable strap below:

IMG_7085.jpeg

Then in fall 1939 they marketed it as an engineers’ boot for the field, perfect for engineers, surveyors, and motorcycle riders, but did they mean for field engineers?

IMG_7080.jpeg

I stumbled on this photo the other day, “Five construction workers with water hose at Hansen Dam site, Calif., circa 1940”:

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

These engineer boots are in the field it seems!

Attachments

• IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_boot

"Engineer boots, also known as engineer's boots or engineering boots, are an American type of traditional leather work-boots. Their lace-less, rugged construction made them popular among motorcycle riders. Originally developed in the 1930s for firemen working on steam locomotives, the boots gained substantial popularity in the post–World War II era during a growing motorcycling culture. They became popular symbols of teenage rebellion in the 1950s and a common component of greaser wear. They were later adopted by skinheads and punks in the 1970s. By the 2010s, engineer boots were being popularly worn for fashion purposes, especially by non-traditional customers such as women, young urban professionals, and hipsters."

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_boot

"Engineer boots, also known as engineer's boots or engineering boots, are an American type of traditional leather work-boots. Their lace-less, rugged construction made them popular among motorcycle riders. Originally developed in the 1930s for firemen working on steam locomotives, the boots gained substantial popularity in the post–World War II era during a growing motorcycling culture. They became popular symbols of teenage rebellion in the 1950s and a common component of greaser wear. They were later adopted by skinheads and punks in the 1970s. By the 2010s, engineer boots were being popularly worn for fashion purposes, especially by non-traditional customers such as women, young urban professionals, and hipsters."
Yes, that's what Wikipedia says. But when you look for period photo's of firemen and engineers you'll see them wearing lace up shoes/boots, not engineers.

1704192792916.png

East Broad Top | Mount Union, Pennsylvania | 2-8-2 #12 | May 3, 1936

1704192520499.png

1704192969086.png

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Some early ads and a screenshot of Red Wing's website:
View attachment 574896 View attachment 574897 View attachment 574898
View attachment 574899 View attachment 574900
Obviously they did make work boots before this and since, but the original wedge sole moc toe, the 877, was not made for 'work.' It's got more heritage than the Iron Ranger though. That was invented in the 2000s to look like/imitate early 20th century work boots.
Nice. I was under the impression they were for farm work because the lack of deep lug prevented muck build up.
At any rate, i’ve used them fior 8 hour days on concrete and they are the bees.

Regarding engineers for firemen on trains, it never made sense to me that they would wear a boot with a taller heel when you are bending forward all day.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, that's what Wikipedia says. But when you look for period photo's of firemen and engineers you'll see them wearing lace up shoes/boots, not engineers.

View attachment 576156
East Broad Top | Mount Union, Pennsylvania | 2-8-2 #12 | May 3, 1936

View attachment 576155
View attachment 576157
I had interpreted it to mean that they were firefighters (The ones in the pictures don't look like firefighters to me). At least I know from my youth that the fire department used to go there in boots. Nowadays, of course, there are more modern ones with speed lacing.
And when I look at pictures of vintage firefighter boots, they might have a similarity or two with the engineers.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I had interpreted it to mean that they were firefighters (The ones in the pictures don't look like firefighters to me). At least I know from my youth that the fire department used to go there in boots. Nowadays, of course, there are more modern ones with speed lacing.
And when I look at pictures of vintage firefighter boots, they might have a similarity or two with the engineers.
Firemen in the context of steam locomotives refers to the guys that shove the coal into the firebox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireman_(steam_engine)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@RiteStuffBryan very interesting. I wonder if that's their own idea for the boots or if they were inspired by the two brands that supposedly came out with engineers first, Wesco and Chippewa. Of course, who really knows who actually came out with them first? Still, those catalogues are helpful!

@Bfd70 yeah engineer boots on trains dont make a ton of sense to me. Theyre not all that practical due to the lack of laces. I only wear them because they look cool and are wuick to get on in the morning!

@Marc mndt yeah those are the kinds of boots I'm used to seeing on train workers. Never 'engineer' boots.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think the most practical is laced boots to personalized the size and side zipper to quickly wear the boots, like in some combat boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner