Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Patriot Jacket by Nicks Boots

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Horrendous design and stupid name. Stick to boots.

They really should. With the extended wait time they have for their boots now, why are they monkeying around with something else? Focus on WORK boots!

White's decided to do all kinds of dress boots and other silly things, raised their prices on everything by ridiculous amounts, extended their wait times, and their quality took a hard fast slide into the toilet. I'd hate that to happen to Nick's too. I need somewhere to be able to buy honest-to-goodness work boots! ;)

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have three pair of Nick's boots sitting near me in my house, so I am what is known as a repeat customer of theirs.

However I will not be purchasing this jacket, even at this introductory price. I tend to agree with Woodtroll's comments above. Stick to what you are (really) great at. Scope creep is a terrible thing for maintaining consistent quality in your already well-known products. Maybe a small run (which is likely what this is), but no need to become the next mass-merchandiser.

The jacket itself seems to be trying to be too many things to too many people. While the leather looks nice and the snap-up design is bit more practical than buttons, this is just not for me.

It appears someone else is producing it for them. I know they, White's and Wesco have all struggled to find and keep staff, hence many of the reasons for wait times escalating out of control.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
This looks absolutely terrible. The design, pattern, construction, everything looks bad. I feel bad anyone suckered into buying one.
I do agree that it looks terrible. I tend to be optimistic, and knowing how terrible my first efforts at things are, I can look at this and say "it's a start". I don't see things that can't be addressed and improved. If Nicks can respond to criticism and rise to the challenge and get better quickly, they could end up being another maker to consider. Right now, this isn't it, but knowing how good they are at making boots, I'd love to see them get as good at making leather jackets. Just as long as they don't stray from being great at boots.

Schambach

Practically Family
Echoing @AeroFan_07 on this one. I have a couple pairs of their boots as well, and they are fantastic, probably my favorite of the PNW builders. But this jacket just seems ill advised to put it nicely. Apparently they also have a line of luxury footwear coming soon. I'd hate to see them turn into Viberg.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It's the leather version of this Heat Strap brand's Chief Coat (waxed canvas),
Image1.jpg

Filson had also made a leather cruiser before, but it was based on their short cruiser not the cruiser coat.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/filson-roughout-leather-short-cruiser-nwt.104676/
1692123940273.jpeg

Or could have gone full vintage and just repro this hunting / work jacket. I'd think RRL probably made something similar at one time or another.
1692124096800.jpeg

1692124113349.jpeg

Or just buy a leather trucker and be done with the work wear look. Gap used to make some really nice ones for not a lot of money.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I was suggested the video on my youtube page few days ago, and actually watched it before reading this thread, the video was funny and even when overly patriotic and mocking other major leather producer country like pakistan they seem like cool people who don't take themselves too seriously either. i think someone who buy this jacket need to buy it 3 sizes smaller than his usual size since not only roomy on the body it still has full action back that is totally billowing and sagging behind while the model wearing it is already a gigantic guy

Observe

One Too Many
I'm inclined to agree with others here that the jacket is a style best left to other materials, such as the original waxed canvas version. Maybe this will look better with the tar beaten out of it.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Horrendous. Looks like something out of the ass end of the 1990's. Beastly, bulging affair with sleeves that could hold a thigh. Even the model has a WTF look on his face:
View attachment 539935
hahahahahahahahahh! True. Picked the style because of the simplicity of the pattern? Yes, even the model seems to be saying "can I take it off now?"

Edward

Bartender
A size small has a 24 inch pit to pit. That may very well be bigger than the largest sizes of some Japanese brands.

Mn, that's about standard for a 44, or a 46 in a really slim-fit pattern, on average. XXL in China, L to XL here in the UK. Been a looooong time since I heard of anything in a "small" that I might fit!

jglf

A-List Customer
Mn, that's about standard for a 44, or a 46 in a really slim-fit pattern, on average. XXL in China, L to XL here in the UK. Been a looooong time since I heard of anything in a "small" that I might fit!
Their sizing is a joke. Even the small is too big for anyone smaller than 6’2” 220lbs.

Observe

One Too Many
To be fair I think it's meant to be more of a workwear fit and to work with layers. Still not a fan myself.

Edward

Bartender
To be fair I think it's meant to be more of a workwear fit and to work with layers. Still not a fan myself.

Yes, I think so. I like a 48-50" chest on a jacket I'm going to wear with a shirt under it; if I'm going to wear a thick sweater / layers under there, I can go as high as a 52, depending on cut.

For me, ultimately, this one is indicative of some style just not being suited to leather. canvas or waxed cotton can hang nicely with a lot of room in them, but this shape in leather just looks off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner