Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who can't wear lipstick?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Feel free to move this to another thread if it needs it.

Just thought I'd ask the question as I look dreadful in lipstick, gloss, or anything else more than a dash of lip salve. I also look vaguely horrific in any kind of foundation. If anybody's got any suggestions I'd love to hear them:)

I eventually found Max Factor's Panstick for foundation, although I'm still working on shades, and Besame's formulas for lipstick are about the only ones that work. In other words, the old formulas work for my skin, and the modern lighter, brighter, shinier ones don't. Actually I've never looked good in lipstick. Small mouth, difficult paler complexion with a blue undertone. Disaster.

We're all looking for the greatest shade of red lipstick, but what if you just don't look good in makeup - what do you do then?

jayem

A-List Customer
It's not that I look awful in lipstick... I just don't like the feeling on my lips. To me, ever since I was little, it just feels a bit odd. I can work up the courage to use Smith's rose salve and thats all. I've worn red lipstick before, and it suited me... but eh. I make do without.

Lothlorien

New in Town
You mentioned that you have a small mouth and I immediately thought of lipliner. I also have fairly thin lips and if I use red lipstick alone my mouth looks even smaller. The lipliner really makes a huge difference, I didn't believe it before I tried it. :)
Also, have you experimented with different shades of colour? Red with brownish, pink or peach undertones? The best way to find that perfect lipstick is to try out different ones.

Concerning the foundation. Have you ever tried MAC or Bobbi Brown? They have a broad range of shades with various undertones to fit most complexions.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I don't happen to have this problem, but I have a couple of ideas.

Have you tried lip stains? I never have. Some people I know hate them, and others love them. The stains are a colored liquid that you apply to your lips that "stains" them a color. The ones I've seen look more natural than a lipstick.

My other thought was, something I used to do when I was younger. I sometimes used a light dusting of cornstarch (yep, the food product) instead of face-powder. It works best if you are really pale, but I did it in the summer sometimes too, so you don't have to be. Just make sure you do a light and even coating. It eliminates shine and doesn't really show. Some other people I know just press rice paper to their skin to eliminate shine.

I'm not sure if those would work for you, but I hope they are helpful. :)

The Shirt

Practically Family
I would sing the praises again of the mineral make-up. Some are lighter coverage that just even out tone and don't really have the feel of traditional foundation. Otherwise I used to like prescriptives because they could custom match my foundation to my particular undertones.
As for lipsticks- I have really thin lips as well and modify them a bit with lipliner. Sticking to matte colors verses the shiny ones out now is my preference as well - since most of it seems to rub off on the inside of my lips. I also blot and re-apply to keep it on longer. I still sometimes find certain reds too shocking to wear and I primarily wear my darkest reds at night while sticking to a pink or coral color for day.

Perhaps it's worth taking a visit to a make-up counter you like and asking them to try out a few varieties so you can see yourself in a few. Tell them what you are looking for or what you don't like. Then take your new look to a few people you trust their opinion and see what they say. If you feel uncomfortable - don't force yourself. From your avatar you look like natural beauty.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I really can't, I think. It would look very awkw - oh, wait, I forgat again that this forum is gender-specific. (Sorry, system-inherent "show new posts" mistake.)

waingirl

One of the Regulars
For some reason I think lipstick looks terrible on me, so I never wear it. It doesn't matter what color it is. I am so envious of the ladies that just seem to find the best color for them.:p

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Sometimes I think I look awkward in lipstick because my mouth is small but my lips are plump and I feel like my they're are popping out too much, so I don't wear it a lot. I can't wear anything shiny (gloss) on my lips either, I just don't like the look of it. So I settle for chapstick and lip stain most of the time!

redlight_artist

New in Town
Lipliner with a bit of gloss or salve over it is a miracle. It stays on and you don't have to bother with it too much. Outline your lips and then 'fill in' with the pencil. Blot with a tissue and then dab gloss or salve over it. It gives enough definition to the lips without being over the top unless you want it to be. You can buy decent lip liner for cheap to practice with different colors.

My personal favorites are a nude pink color that makes me look put together while staying natural and a soft red that is dramatic without being too much for my fair skin.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i rarely wear lipstick, but i use burts bees lip shimmers almost every day. it's sheer, and feels good on the lips. i use one of the darkest tints - nutmeg, but it never looks as dark as it does on the package. just a nice bit of color, and not too much shine. might be a way to ease yourself into lipstick-wearing!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I always thought I couldn't wear lipstick because my mouth is so small, then I discovered with a bright red lipstick it looked bigger. It takes getting used to, seeing color, it is like wearing a hat.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I look like a little girl playing dress up in lipstick. So none for me thanks. My lips are dark enough naturally so I just smooth on the Chapstick. :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I wear lipstick all the time, but not everyday. I never go out without some sort of color on my lips, though!

Lipstain IS great. I like the kind from the Body Shop. I've tried other brands, but they don't wear as well. The Body Shop stain is a dark pink shade, and the color you get depends on how many layers you apply. I love wearing it when I go out with my boyfriend, since he doesn't like to wear my lipstick as much as I do, hehe.

Makeup shops and department store counters always have makeup artists who can show you what to wear and how to wear it.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I'm going to back GGG here. I bought the bodyshop lipstain on the strength of a recommendation she made in another thread, and I also have benetint, and it's perfect. You look like you aren't wearing lipstick, and your lips are just naturally blush coloured. You can layer it, so you get exactly the shade you want, and it looks vintage and natural at the same time, which is great, as even though I love looking authentically vintage I don't want to look overly made up in daylight. I find lipstick sometimes makes my lips look smaller.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
Feel free to move this to another thread if it needs it.

Just thought I'd ask the question as I look dreadful in lipstick, gloss, or anything else more than a dash of lip salve. I also look vaguely horrific in any kind of foundation. If anybody's got any suggestions I'd love to hear them:)

I eventually found Max Factor's Panstick for foundation, although I'm still working on shades, and Besame's formulas for lipstick are about the only ones that work. In other words, the old formulas work for my skin, and the modern lighter, brighter, shinier ones don't. Actually I've never looked good in lipstick. Small mouth, difficult paler complexion with a blue undertone. Disaster.

We're all looking for the greatest shade of red lipstick, but what if you just don't look good in makeup - what do you do then?

Are you sure this isn't just a classic case of female low self-esteem?!! I'd like to see photographic evidence of how "dreadful" you look in lipstick missy! Maybe you're just not used to it so you mistake different for bad.

But if foundation really doesn't suit you then why wear it? Our lovely Johanna on this board doesn't wear any foundation, only a bit of powder and it doesn't stop her from looking beautifully vintage. Natural can be vintage too! I would LOVE to go without foundation - it would save me a ton of money, not to mention time in the mornings!

x

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
ShooShooBaby said:
i rarely wear lipstick, but i use burts bees lip shimmers almost every day. it's sheer, and feels good on the lips. i use one of the darkest tints - nutmeg, but it never looks as dark as it does on the package. just a nice bit of color, and not too much shine. might be a way to ease yourself into lipstick-wearing!

I second the recommendation of Burt's Bees lip shimmer. It's very moisturizing, I believe it has the same base as their uncolored lip balm. I wear the fig everyday, unless going out.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ada Veen said:
I'm going to back GGG here. I bought the bodyshop lipstain on the strength of a recommendation she made in another thread, and I also have benetint, and it's perfect. You look like you aren't wearing lipstick, and your lips are just naturally blush coloured. You can layer it, so you get exactly the shade you want, and it looks vintage and natural at the same time, which is great, as even though I love looking authentically vintage I don't want to look overly made up in daylight. I find lipstick sometimes makes my lips look smaller.

Woohoo!
I converted my mom to the stuff about a year ago, and she takes it everywhere now. Seriously, everyone I know who has tried it swears by it. It also doubles as a cheek rouge!

nyx

One of the Regulars
I agree with those who mentioned Burt's Bees. The stuff is wonderful. I used to be a lipstick addict, but I find as I get older, I prefer lighter stuff on my lips.

Also, I agree with Miss Hannah. Everyone can look good in lipstick. You just have to find the right shade and texture for you. I discovered early on that shimmer lipsticks, even with lip liner, make the definition of my lips go fuzzy and looks poorly on me, no matter what color. Darker also looks better on me because of my coloring.

Go to a makeup counter, a good one like MAC, and just play for awhile. Also try some colors you wouldn't normally be attracted to, for example if you normally go for reds, try pinks or nudes. It may be that you just aren't trying the colors that suit your skin tone.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Oh, I am so in the "can't wear lipstick" corner. I look like an idiot. I've never been able to wear it--I used to for work several years ago and just felt odd and foolish. I look much better without it.

I can wear gloss if it's a subtle color but red, sadly, is out.

I can go nuts with eye makeup though (yay) --regular foundation I have never been able to wear. I have never found the "Casper the friendly ghost" shade required, plus it just felt yucky. I can and do wear Bare Escentuals for that.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Makeup shops and department store counters always have makeup artists who can show you what to wear and how to wear it.

Oh, but watch out! I got a guy who started out doing drag makeup--I ended up looking like a lady of the evening with swimming pool blue eyeshadow and more eyeliner than can be imagined. My sister made me leave it on so that I would walk into the house looking like a ...well. :) It was a good learning experience. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy