Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Who Doesn't want to look like Marilyn"Nina's in the UK

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Interesting article about the first 'vintage hair salon' in Britain, according to the article.:

'If you go on to the streets of London at the moment, you'll see a million and one Kate Mosses. It's just so boring!" fumes hairdresser Nina Butkovich-Budden. "But the vintage look? Well, it's a little bit of rebellion, isn't it?"
While many young women hanker after that just-crawled-out-of-bed-with-Pete-Doherty look (denim hotpants, unbrushed hair), it seems that a growing minority are embracing good old-fashioned glamour. And not just a vintage dress here or a hint of a beehive there. Across the country, you can find librarians, project managers, city workers and IT experts sporting the full-blown hair, makeup and even underwear (think bullet bras and girdles) of 1940s and 1950s pin-ups.

The rest is at the following http://www.guardian.co.uk/women/story/0,,2112304,00.html

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I believe that Nina of Cut and Clipper is on the "Richard and Judy Show" this afternoon at 5pm if anyone is interested. Channel 4.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I applied to be in that article but I was too late, sadly. Helen the librarian is a friend of mine though, so it's nice to see someone I know in print!

Nina is indeed on R&J tonight! I hope I get home in time to see it as two friends of mine are going to be in it too!

I love Nina, been going to her for a few months now for my cuts. After the article her phone has been ringing off the hook though, so I'm going to have to book my appointments in advance. I hope it leads on to big things for her because she works so hard and yet her prices are so reasonable for the cut and service you get.

You can see a segment on Nina on the BBC news last week here -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6270000/newsid_6270000/6270072.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
From the article:
"Foundation wear is wonderful stuff, and it annoys me that some feminists seem to think that it's evil. Yes, I've accepted my size, but at the same time, it's really great to have these contraptions made of strong elastic which give you a smooth line. If you wear a bra to support your boobs," says Barrell, "why not wear something to support your tummy?"

Amen, sister.

LD

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I applied to be in that article but I was too late, sadly. Helen the librarian is a friend of mine though, so it's nice to see someone I know in print!

Nina is indeed on R&J tonight! I hope I get home in time to see it as two friends of mine are going to be in it too!

I love Nina, been going to her for a few months now for my cuts. After the article her phone has been ringing off the hook though, so I'm going to have to book my appointments in advance. I hope it leads on to big things for her because she works so hard and yet her prices are so reasonable for the cut and service you get.

You can see a segment on Nina on the BBC news last week here -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6270000/newsid_6270000/6270072.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm

She seems to be such a nice person from that clip, very down to earth. I think I will try to get an appointment for a cut when I can! Which will probably be in the new year from what I gather from that....booked up untill October....:eek: good for her:eusa_clap

Your sound like you have all the right contacts Fleur! Do post some pics of your hair if you can I'd love to see what she can do!

Which of your friends are appearing? (sorry being nosy!)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
She seems to be such a nice person from that clip, very down to earth. I think I will try to get an appointment for a cut when I can! Which will probably be in the new year from what I gather from that....booked up untill October....:eek: good for her:eusa_clap

Your sound like you have all the right contacts Fleur! Do post some pics of your hair if you can I'd love to see what she can do!

Which of your friends are appearing? (sorry being nosy!)

Oh no, that's just her intensive courses, you'll be able to book a hairdo without too much notice I think! (She charges £35, but it's worth every penny, and you can be there for ages if you have a set under the hoods!)

She told me off when I told her to remember us little people now she's all famous, she said, "I am a little people person!" lol

The ladies appearing are Nicole Klein (red-haired German pinup photographer lady) and another lady who is an online friend, I have met her once, and totally forgotten her real name! How awful is that!

Oh, and I am having my hair done by her on Tuesday so I'll get a picture then!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Oh that's great news! I really want to take my best friend along as she has the perfect hair for a short wave do!
I'll have to book an appointment now!
Little people person!!! I like her already!!!lol
I am going to tape the R&J so if all else fails and you can't get home in time I can always send it on to you once I've seen it.
Looking foward to your hair pics.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Ah, yes, we who work at libraries are in the forefront of style and taste, as usual.

Did you see that article in the New York Times earlier this week, "A Hipper Crowd of Shushers"? Always good to show that there are a wider variety of librarians out there than just the cranky stickler for fines.

The Guardian article was fun--I'd like to look up that place next time I'm in London, which will hopefully be within the year. Looking forward to the picture Fleur!

texasgirl

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Did you see that article in the New York Times earlier this week, "A Hipper Crowd of Shushers"? Always good to show that there are a wider variety of librarians out there than just the cranky stickler for fines.

Loved the article! Yea Librarians!!! I am a librarian for a ad agency and I constantly get told- you don't look like a librarian! I'm glad people are finally noticing the difference!

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
Great article! I wish we had a salon here that did vintage hair and makeup. Anyone know of a stylist around Dallas, TX?
I've been into the 1950s look for years but I'm still learning the ropes as far as the hair and makeup goes. It would be great to go to a salon and see how its done.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Yes, we librarians are great, right? lol. I'd also like to get a great stylist in Dallas ssubialdea so if anyone has one they love, preferably not in the overpriced Addison/North Dallas area, let me know too!

texasgirl

One Too Many
anabolina said:
Yes, we librarians are great, right? lol. I'd also like to get a great stylist in Dallas ssubialdea so if anyone has one they love, preferably not in the overpriced Addison/North Dallas area, let me know too!

Well I have one of those overpriced ones in N Dallas- and it's addicting. Anway- check with rubyredlocks I think she does hair in Dallas

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
BegintheBeguine said:
Ah, yes, we who work at libraries are in the forefront of style and taste, as usual. Thanks for this article. (The 'crawled' line gave me a curious feeling of nausea. Ugh.)
I can definitely vouch for this! I myself am a library clerk and have been so for three years. Working in a library gives me plenty of reason to dress up for work.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I went to Nina last week and she is fabulous! I had my long hair chopped into a pageboy and I love it. It's really great having a place like that to go as the regular highstreet hair salons don't really understand what you want when you ask for a retro style. Her prices are very reasonable and it's great that she is getting all of this press attention. I'm booked in for colour next month :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97