Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wHo is suggested to Re-LiNe Jackets?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
got a 60s perfecto that was beat uP on the outside, and has parts of the liner actually worn to disintegration...

leather conditioner brought the steerhide back to insaNeLy wonderful life, the jacket is now suPerb, and i'm wondering who the ILLuminaTi on this site would recommend for a relining...

i'm in so calif, so i can't really replicate the original sheerling lining, so am thinking of the great patterns that AeRo puts in it's Highwayman, etc. for a lighter lining...are they the guys to do this? and how much might it cost?

thanks for any heLp

rumblefish

One Too Many
Maybe try Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes in El Cajon. Dave Marshal and I spoke at great length when I bought a jacket from them. I believe he mentioned they would do repairs. Is El Cajon close? Maybe swing by?

Pictures to follow?;)

Good luck,
Chris M.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
do you know the way to san...diego

hi...yes, i had once thought of getting a flightsuits a-2 and ended up talking with dave, what an incredible guy...not too far from sd...something to consider...though somehow, after ordering a highwayman form aero, i'm strongly considering asking mark at aero if they do that...my main concern is getting someone who has experience with custom work on motorcycle jackets

by the way, i must mention, despite the doPey name, leather cpr was an amazing leather conditioner on this very beat uP and top layer scraped steerhide perfecto...it lathered up and then soaked into the leather...steerhide that was curling and drying flattened out and looks amazing...got another half size out of this 60s perfecto after the hide conditioned...just had to mention that

thanks for the suggestion about dave

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I had several old jackets relined by my local tailor and she did a great job, she even found some nice retro looking satin, I think any decent tailor can do it for you its not rocket science.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny:

What is it with your all lower case postings with the exception of usually a capital P, but sometimes a random different letter?

Does it mean something, or are you just typing fast?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
they're just letterS...

someone asked me on the vintageLeatherJacket.com bLog whether i was a kidnapper, writing this way...i'll post the answeR i left there:

i spent 13 years in journalism as a reporter/editor/photographer...and got sicK of typing with caps and excessiVe punctuation...hence the mostLy lower case letterS...

however, i got into journaLism because i wanted to be a political cartoonist after spending 3 years as the cartoonist on the ucla bruin...and then winning the calif intercollegiate press association award for best political cartoon in my last yeaR of coLLege...so i got used to writing liKe that...pretty sicKo, huh?

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
johnnyjohnny said:
...and then winning the calif intercollegiate press association award for best political cartoon in my last yeaR of coLLege...so i got used to writing liKe that...pretty sicKo, huh?

No offense, Jonny, but reading your posts gives me a headache. And I'm a cartoonist! [huh]

Unfortunately..I think you'll find that Flight Suits/GibsonBarnes only does repair work on their own jackets. IMO..Aero would be quite expensive to send a jacket from the states considering shipping and labor costs to be re-lined. A good local tailor should be able to re-line the jacket.
HD
BTW...Just cap the first letter of a sentence...then little letters..ending with a period. I'm sure we could figure the rest out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran