Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is your favorite artist?

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
El Greco. :)
So many "favorites" mentioned in this thread already - Van Gogh, Hopper, others. But El Greco, especially his landscapes... well, I think it must be something genetic.

I have 7yo twins, boy/girl, and the girl seems to have gotten a double dose of my visual orientation. We saw the El Greco show at the Met a few years ago and I was carrying her around it - I guess she was not quite four. She was being wiggly and only paying some attention to the gorgeous works, but they clearly caught her fancy.

So we get to the last room and the first thing I see is one of the big portraits, and I'm studying it, my girl looking over my shoulder at something, when suddenly she goes very quiet and still. Then she says a very hushed, "Ooh, pretty" in my ear.

I turn around and for the first time in both our lives we're face to face with "View of Toledo." For five minutes I just stood there, holding her as we both... just looked. It's how I've always reacted to pictures and prints of the painting, but it's also one of those works that no reproduction will quite capture.

It was quite a moment for both of us.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Everyone here has such lovely taste! I've enjoyed seeing your favorites.

Renoir has long been my favorite. I love his portraiture. Those paintings have such a luminous quality about them.

I also have a soft spot for some of Michaelangelo's sculpture, such as La Pieta, Borromini's architecture, and Elvgren's pinups :eek: .

Flora

Familiar Face
Francis Bacon. I love the dark beauty in his paintings.

painting.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
I really like Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. They makes everyday objects into art pieces -you'll never look at ordinary objects the same again!!

Example of a Typewriter Eraser:

Typewriter_Eraser%2C_Scale_X.jpg

Piece of Cake (Oldenburg only):

cake.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
So many artists, here are a few of my favorites:

Georgia O'Keefe
Edward Hopper
Frank Frazetta
Frank Tenney Johnson
Robert Bateman
Bev Doolittle
Alfonse Mucha

also classics: Renoir, El Greco, Degas, Monet, Van Gogh (and most impressionist paintings and painters) Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, Bernini, and Rodin

There are more.

karol

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I like many artists, here is one of my favorites, Amadeo Modigliani(1884-!920)

Alfa3XB_Modigliani.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

That's Modigliani in 1915. He represents the spirit of Bohemia of Paris in the first years of the last century , I adore that time and place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :D

Personally, I like the air and rail art of Stan Stokes and Nicolas Trudgian.
Spirit_of_the_Mountain.jpg

Trudgian, Spirit of the Mountains
D&RGW C-16 pulling out of Ophir, CO

Mustangs_over_the_Mediterranean.jpg

Mustangs Over the Mediterranean
31st FG, 15th AF P-51s over the Italian Riviera

yhst-60302205906027_1961_20296386

Stokes, California Surfin'
SP Daylight along the SoCal coast

yhst-60302205906027_1961_4290191

Tahiti Clippers
Boeing 314 (Dixie Clipper) foreground, Martin M-130 (China Clipper) behind)

carter

I'll Lock Up
What's not to love about those Clippers. I wish they were still flying.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the Clive Madgewick that didn't post earlier.

1268467598_8c2df9304e_m.jpg

One more by Winslow Homer

1267606411_57923bd55b_m.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Smyat said:
So many "favorites" mentioned in this thread already - Van Gogh, Hopper, others. But El Greco, especially his landscapes... well, I think it must be something genetic.

I have 7yo twins, boy/girl, and the girl seems to have gotten a double dose of my visual orientation. We saw the El Greco show at the Met a few years ago and I was carrying her around it - I guess she was not quite four. She was being wiggly and only paying some attention to the gorgeous works, but they clearly caught her fancy.

So we get to the last room and the first thing I see is one of the big portraits, and I'm studying it, my girl looking over my shoulder at something, when suddenly she goes very quiet and still. Then she says a very hushed, "Ooh, pretty" in my ear.

I turn around and for the first time in both our lives we're face to face with "View of Toledo." For five minutes I just stood there, holding her as we both... just looked. It's how I've always reacted to pictures and prints of the painting, but it's also one of those works that no reproduction will quite capture.

It was quite a moment for both of us.

...a beautiful moment with your daughter, thanks for sharing this. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy