Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best non-WWII A2's and G1's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSG

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the input. If I go for something more contemporary it seems G&B is the place to go. Goodwear seems like it's a great place for WWII contract repros and in talking to John yesterday, he is quite passionate about getting them right.

What I'm not quite sure of is why so many guys here who weren't even born until many years after WWII and probably have never even flown a plane are so hardcore for WWII exact replica jackets. Unless you're a fairly little guy they aren't going to look right anyway, are they? I'm just curious, what's the fascination with WWII period correct jackets?

It seems what the air force and navy guys wear now and recently is a pretty good purchase for under half the cost of a replica. Plus, these are issue jackets; the real deal. What am I missing?

Burnsie

CSG said:
Unless you're a fairly little guy they aren't going to look right anyway, are they? I'm just curious what the fascination is with the WWII correct jackets is.

It seems what the air force and navy guys wear now and recently is a pretty good purchase for under half the cost of a replica. Plus, these are issue jackets; the real deal. What am I missing?

What you're missing is the desire to have as close as you can get to period authentic garments. I'm not a WWII reenactor but I was drawn to "period correct" jackets etc. because I wanted to get as close as I could to the look and feel of real vintage gear. It's the same thing that drives me to pay way more for vintage repro Lee and Levi denim fabricated on vintage narrow looms, or repro 30's sweatshirts made on 70 year old shuttle looms. I could save loads of cash buy buying new jeans at the mall but I wouldn't be at all happy with that.

I'm nuts. Certifiably nuts about authentic vintage style. It's a curse.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's probably not the best approach to visit a vintage focused forum, ask to use the expertise of the jacket experts here then question the very premise of their expertise. If it's not your bag, so be it, but there's no reason to stir the pot.

CSG

Familiar Face
My apologies if I came across as "stirring the pot". Just curious is all. As to "vintage", what's the definition of vintage for G1's and A2'? Both in one form or another preceded WWII. Where does vintage begin? How about Vietnam era? What about 20 years ago when the air force reissued the A2?

Anyway, sorry for ruffling any feathers I was actually trying to learn something about this subject but some here are more interested in chastising someone for asking. AlanC, your comment is totally off base and not a reflection of the events here.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended

I'll give you an answer but not sure it's what you want to hear. The current issue jackets are garbage, G-1s that are made out of cow hide and then pressed and made to look like goatskin, the mouton is nothing more than faux fur that you can find on a kids stuffed dog at the Disney Store in the mall. The A-2s look like they were made with a cookie cutter and have zero character and their quality is for crap. An issue jacket doesn't mean squat, al it means is that some manufacture was lucky enough to come up with the cheapest cost to make the jackets to the current milspec. I was a logistic guy in the navy for 23 years and I'll tell you we bought some real garbage simply cuz it was cheap. If you are satisfied with some rolled cow with hand-warmer pockets then go right ahead and run out to the mall and buy one, if your happy with it, then that's all that matters. Right?

Steve

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
CSG said:
Geez, Steve, are you this much fun in real life?

What's your evidence that companies like G&B are using cowhide and calling it goat or that companies are using fake mouton when they claim it's not synthetic.

And during WWII, were not the contractors stamping out these jackets as quickly and cheaply as possible? They are so much better than the "cookie cutter" jackets of today?

Puhleeze... :rolleyes:

Yea, I'm a barrel of laughs....As for G&B, please don't put words in my mouth, I was referring to current milspec issued G-1s, I NEVER said anything about G&B or ANY repro mfgr...And yes, the milspec AS issued jackets are stamped vaca Mooooooo, and have doll hair mouton. The jackets of yesteryear that we collect may have been turned out like hot-cakes, but that had character and are very collectable today. Maybe in 100 years our milspec jackets of today will be collectable as well and I'll have to eat my words, but I doubt it as they won't last that long.

Steve

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great input gents.

There should be enough information in this thread now and in previous discussions (if you use the seach function ^ above^) to help this new member make an informed decision.

Once again, thanks for helping a new member out and freely sharing your knowledge and experience :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany