Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who mixes it up?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
My favorite trick to play when someone tells me "OH Hai..did anyone ever tell you you look like_________________________?"

Then I feign suprise and ask them, "Oh, who is that?"

They will happily chirp on for hours if you let them.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
daily yes, events no

If I am just in my normal daytime life, I tend to wear a lot of modern clothing with vintage jacket or coat, always vintage jewelry. All my modern clothing tends to be in the shapes of vintage, so it all works -but doesn't fall apart!
But if I am performing, or attending a vintage event, I try to make it all match one era as much as possible. I might be wearing 30s shoes with a 20s dress, but that kind of detail completely goes over the heads of the public. But I wouldn't do the 40s hairdo with anything but a 40s dress, after all, I have a choice of how to do my hair (unlike having a choice say, in shoes - hard to find).
I think it's fine to mix it up, but I agree - the idiots who think we will not know that their 70s and 80s clothes are not vintage, and insist they are, are ridiculous! There's a lady who comes to the Queen Mary Art Deco Weekend who does this in every outfit - and they are horrible outfits, completely wrong! And then she has the nerve to try and tell we who are being paid to lecture on fashion there, that these are authentic! What a nut.
But for daily life, anything goes, although I do admit that sometimes when I see a particularly good vintage item being worn with really off the mark items, it makes me cringe - I like the old silhouette better.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
exquisitebones said:
isint that funny... If i dress 40s, they say, oh look at that little 50s lady!
and if I dress 50s, everyone assumes I am a flapper or something from the 20s.. people are so funny about what they remember from history.

Some guy was describing me to a friend and kept saying, "You know, that girl that dresses like she's from the oldies!" and she kept replying, "You mean vintage?", "No, the oldies!!!".

I also get that I look very 60's when I'm dressed 40's. At least they aren't saying 80's!

Anyway, I "mix it up" a lot. Depending on the length of my hair, I usually do a 30's or 40's hairstyle, because that's easiest for me and what looks best. For everyday wear, I'm often wearing modern skinny jeans with a vintage style top or cardigan. It's just so much simpler for me if I do it that way, and trust me, no one knows the difference.

Mirax H

New in Town
I'm really glad to know that it is not a major faux pas to mix decades. This is new for me so I've enjoyed reading everyone's response :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Somedays I look more 20s/30s, other days it's more 50s, but NO MATTER WHAT I always get "You remind me of [insert Grease, Happy Days, or Lucy here]."

I NEVER get people telling me I look like the 20s!!! I've gotten the 70s before, though :rolleyes:

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
Oh my goodness Amy, I LOVE your glassses ^_^

Anyway, I currently have a 20s haircut (which I love), but hate the 20s clothes, but wear my make up as from that era. I have 40s & 50s clothes, but modern shoes. I ordered some gorgeous 30s patterns yesterday. I'm just a complete mish mash, but I love it lol

The lack of full length mirrors in my house doesn't allow me to see what state I actually look, but I imagine I look fabulous!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot