Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who would be interested to see a WWII era garage display? WWII Weekend?

cowboy76

Suspended
For those of you familiar, and unfamiliar, with WWII Weekend put on be the folks at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum, (http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html), I had been wanting for a long time, to get together with the homefront reenactors/living historians, to get them to work with us and allow us to put together a pre-WWII/WWII wartime garage display put together officially by our period-correct hot rod club the "Hot Irons" and another revived old-time club the "Flyers". (see post on revived pre-wwii car club here,....http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=24571

Generally speaking it would be a small on-car garage, built by the two clubs, as a garage you would have seen from 1938-1945. Nothing large. Original, working equipment, hand tools etc and all. Actually working on a hot rod in the garage, with period tools. Just as you would have seen it if you were to walk down any back alley or town street in that era, while friends who are historians stand by and explain what we're doing, give demonstrations and also educate the general public on the early years, specifically hot rodding as it was known in the time period of the mid 1930s up untill and into the wartime era of the 1940s.

Having been involved as a reenactor in a WWII living histoy group (29th Inf Div.) for many years and being a stickler for authenticity, I believe this is one area that has been MUCH overlooked but an area that would be both educating and enjoyable fun for people, including those involved!

Thanks for your time,..looking forward to feedback about this idea. (Oh and YES, there were hot rods BEFORE the end of WWII, they were most often times known as "Hot Iorns", "Supe Jobs" "Gow Jobs" and the like,..hot rod was a term coined post-WWII) For reference see : "Flat out" by Al drake, "The day the hot rods ran" by william carrol, and various books by author Don montgomery.

www.myspace.com/hotironscc

Story

I'll Lock Up
As the Guiness Brothers would say -

BRILLIANT!

Someone can explain how hopped-up cars were used by moonshiners to outrun the Revenue-ers and were the genisis of NASCAR.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I'm thinking that would fit in quite nicely near the Gulf gas station, as that is where the non-military vintage cars are parked. I used to be involved with that group several years ago; perhaps you could work with them?

cowboy76

Suspended
Sweet Leilani said:
I'm thinking that would fit in quite nicely near the Gulf gas station, as that is where the non-military vintage cars are parked. I used to be involved with that group several years ago; perhaps you could work with them?

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I've been going for the last four years, was a member of the 29th Inf Div Living History Group for about 5 yrs or more...still good friends with them all, still a part of the group, but inactive right now.

As far as the people who put on that specific Home Front part of the event (Gulf Station), we're not looking to work "directly with" them per-say as to combine us with them as a group, as we are a totally separate entity, with a different purpose. However, I'd like to work with them as far as feeding off each other when it comes to the actual event,....us sending people their way and vice versa. Since its the same era and a similar automotive aspect, my goal would be to compliment each other in our endevours within the event...helping them set up and vice versa,...just lending a hand if we can when we can. Would be a great experience for both the public and us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner