Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who would buy THAT?! - The crazy hats on eBay thread

Originally posted by Canadave
I'm tempted! Just don't tell jamespowers...imagine how jealous he'll be when he sees how nicely it turns out.

(You will be able to take the "Mr. Charles" label out, right??? :eek:

David

I might just be jealous. I know Art can make it look good.
You should leave the Mr. Charles label in because no one will believe where it came from after you have it renovated. :D
Let me guess, you want a nice brown leather band and Stetson lining---maybe even one with Whippet on it or one that says XXXXXXX Beaver. :cool:
There is a lot of possibility there. I don't know what kind but possiblity. LOL

Regards to all,

J

I'm tempted! Just don't tell jamespowers...imagine how jealous he'll be when he sees how nicely it turns out.

(You will be able to take the "Mr. Charles" label out, right??? :eek:

David

Geez David,

You did not have to use the Buy It Now option on Pimp hat. We would have let you have it. :D So now you own it--great! Let us know how it looks when you get it. I am curious as to the felt quality.
Art, this is a heads up. You said you could fix it. LOL This is going to be the Rocky episode of your career. You had better start training now. Those muscles in your arms should be in to condition to block the snot out of that hat. LOL
As a side note, I had technical difficulties on my end last night so I could not bid on this hat: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8109578119&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1 . Congratulations to the person who got it if they are in the Lounge---darn you! :cry:

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by jamespowers
Geez David,

You did not have to use the Buy It Now option on Pimp hat. We would have let you have it. :D So now you own it--great! Let us know how it looks when you get it. I am curious as to the felt quality...

I should have figured you'd notice I bought it. :eek: I couldn't take the chance...I HAD to Buy It Now, it's such a beauty!

Anyway, I'm going to have it sent straight to Art, so he'll have to give us all the feedback. He did tell me that he thought it might be wool. Oh well, we'll see.

I'm sure we're going to see a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde transition with that hat, and Arts hand!

David

I should have figured you'd notice I bought it. :eek: I couldn't take the chance...I HAD to Buy It Now, it's such a beauty!

Anyway, I'm going to have it sent straight to Art, so he'll have to give us all the feedback. He did tell me that he thought it might be wool. Oh well, we'll see.

I'm sure we're going to see a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde transition with that hat, and Arts hand!

David

Man, I did not know what I started when I found that hat. :D
Wool or felt we shall soon see what a rare and treasured prize you have there. LOL
Art, I still want pictures. Ripley is waiting. ;)

regards to all,

J

Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
If i was Art I'd switch that hat out for another and you would never know. Art we will pray for you!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8109910044&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I am going to have to drop by to have a look at that monster in person since it has become so famous. Art could have tours like the circus of the old days. "Come see the hat that ate the last user's head. Only two dollars to see this monster. Mothers watch your children as you pass by the cage containing the beast. It could get them next!" LOL
Art, I will also pray for you. That thing may bite.
:D

Regards to all,

J

Can't you all see this becoming a beautiful Open Road?

David [/B]

Dear David,

I can see it as a spitoon, a barf bag, a water pail, an ashtray or even a comode but not an open road hat. LOL
One thing I have to say about Art is that he has a lot of vision. Perhaps in this case it is a hallucination but maybe vision in the long run.
In all seriousness, this hat has really given me lots of material to paper Dave and Art with but after we have all had our fun we all know both are wonderful to have around. David to make fun of and Art to fix what we screw up. :D

Regards to all,

J

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
Uhhhh no pressure here....wasn't there a quote involving a silk purse & sow's ear?...Thanks for idea Roger...now where did I put that old tan felt?

We believe in you Art. I said that you could make a Royal Stetson Whippet out of a sow's ear. This thing is another story. :) Roger does have an interesting idea though. You could sew the Mr. Charles label into the new one. ;)
When do the tours start? Will it be in a cage for the safety of the viewing public? LOL
More Seriously, Art, I was wondering what is fixable in a hat. Particularly moth damage. Is this easily fixable as opposed to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4013&item=8110468765&rd=1. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
You might not get the chance, Art!

I sent the seller a request to measure the inner circumference before I bought it. However, I was in such a hurry to purchase it before jamespowers did, :) I did so before hearing back from the seller.

Well, today I get an email...the measurement is 21" (about a 6 3/4!!!). The listing said "It is a size L (approx. 7 1/2")".

I'm hoping to cancel the deal. We'll see what they say.

David

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dave, the gas was reserved for the link JP posted above but I'm glad you found out about the "Mr. Charles" now. We might not even get a stingy brim out of that size.!!

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
This one is easy to fix JP, with a match & a can of gasoline ( high octane no MTBE)

That sounds about right. Imagine the guy is starting the bidding at $10 and a reserve!? Very expensive for a small amount of kindling. :D
This is clearly a guy whose wife wants him to get rid of the hat but he does not want to. "Look honey the hat did not sell. I tried my best. Guess I will have to keep it. Gee, what a shame." LOL

Regards to all,

J

You might not get the chance, Art!

I sent the seller a request to measure the inner circumference before I bought it. However, I was in such a hurry to purchase it before jamespowers did, :) I did so before hearing back from the seller.

Well, today I get an email...the measurement is 21" (about a 6 3/4!!!). The listing said "It is a size L (approx. 7 1/2")".

I'm hoping to cancel the deal. We'll see what they say.

David

Oh boy David, that could have been a big mistake. Geez these people should know what they have before they list it. I always email them first if they do not list a circumference. This is particularly important for hats made in other countries. They do not share our size standard but I think you know that by the way most of your messages are signed. :D
I see you have a new avatar. Old Buster looks pretty good there. Do you look much like him? LOL

Regards,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh boy David, that could have been a big mistake. Geez these people should know what they have before they list it. I always email them first if they do not list a circumference.
J

I have posted months ago on eBay purchases of hats. Never assume ANYTHING. Sizes are wrong, homburgs and open crown hats are called derbys, wool hats are called beaver....the list is endless. Many sellers find these hats in garage, estates, or the attic. They just don't know. ASK. Moth bites? I've had sellers say "minor holes, can be repaired". Well, you can't.

Caviat Emptor

Canadave

One Too Many
...I see you have a new avatar. Old Buster looks pretty good there. Do you look much like him?

Buster who? That's a picture of me! Look closely and you can see my signature using my real name, Bennett Keston.

:)

"BK" Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21