Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Would You Have Liked to See in the Role?

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
YES! A definite +1 to that! Out of the Past is one of my all time favorite noir/detective/deadly dame films...really some of his best work IMO. He could've mad an excellent Philip Marlowe

skyvue said:
Robert Mitchum in the role he was born to play -- Philip Marlowe -- in any Chandler novel ever adapted to the screen.

Mitchum played Marlowe, and beautifully (in FAREWELL, MY LOVELY, if not the awful THE BIG SLEEP, about which nothing worked), but he was too long in the tooth at the time.

If only he'd gotten the chance to assay Marlowe at the right age. Mitchum's work as a private detective in OUT OF THE PAST gives us a taste of how it would've gone -- he'd have been the Marlowe of all Marlowes, in my opinion.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Re: Edward's msg

Hi all,
I read the long message by Edward and I agree with most all of it.
For myself I would like to have seen Clive Owen as Bond but, big but, I have to think that Daniel would have made a better Sherlock than Downey. I guess we shall see...[huh]
Be well,

Woody

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I would have liked to have seen Marsha Hunt play the role of 'Melanie Hamilton Wilkes' in Gone With The Wind.

In fact, Ms. Hunt had been verbally promised the role by David O. Selznick himself ... and then, the next day, Warner Bros. agreed to loan out Olivia De Havilland to Selznick.

Feraud

Bartender
skyvue said:
Robert Mitchum in the role he was born to play -- Philip Marlowe -- in any Chandler novel ever adapted to the screen.

Mitchum played Marlowe, and beautifully (in FAREWELL, MY LOVELY, if not the awful THE BIG SLEEP, about which nothing worked), but he was too long in the tooth at the time.

If only he'd gotten the chance to assay Marlowe at the right age. Mitchum's work as a private detective in OUT OF THE PAST gives us a taste of how it would've gone -- he'd have been the Marlowe of all Marlowes, in my opinion.
Without a doubt!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Star Wars, the 1938 Warner Bros. version:

Luke Skywalker: Frankie Darro
Princess Leia: Bonita Granville
Han Solo: Errol Flynn
Chewbacca: Alan Hale
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Leslie Howard
C-3PO: Franklin Pangborn
R2-D2: Billy Barty
Grand Moff Tarkin: Claude Rains
Darth Vader: Basil Rathbone

Directed by Michael Curtiz

A Mervyn LeRoy Production in Technicolor

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Star Wars, the 1938 Warner Bros. version:

Luke Skywalker: Frankie Darro
Princess Leia: Bonita Granville
Han Solo: Errol Flynn
Chewbacca: Alan Hale
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Leslie Howard
C-3PO: Franklin Pangborn
R2-D2: Billy Barty
Grand Moff Tarkin: Claude Rains

Directed by Michael Curtiz

A Mervyn LeRoy Production in Technicolor

You are on a roll! May I add stop-motion space ships, death star, et al, effects by Ray Harryhausen

LizzieMaine

Bartender
NAT LEVINE PRESENTS

"Raiders Of The Lost Ark"

A Mascot Serial

Indiana Jones: Norman Foster
Marion: Dorothy Gulliver
Belloq: Noah Beery Sr.
Major Toht: Wheeler Oakman
Sallah: Hooper Atchley
Brody: Tully Marshall

Stunts by Yakima Canutt

Directed by Ford Beebe and B. Reeves Eason

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And one more --

First National Pictures Inc. and The Vitaphone Corporation
present

The Supreme ALL TALKING Triumph of 1929

Mr. John Barrymore
in
GONE WITH THE WIND

Directed by Alan Crosland

The Players

Rhett Butler -- Mr. JOHN BARRYMORE
Scarlett O'Hara -- Miss DOLORES COSTELLO
Melanie Hamilton -- Lilyan Tashman
Ashley Wilkes -- Conrad Nagel
Mammy -- Louise Beavers
Aunt Pittypat Hamilton -- Louise Fazenda
Prissy -- Victoria Spivey
Big Sam -- Daniel L. Haynes
Brent Tarleton -- William Bakewell
Gerald O'Hara -- Ernest Torrence
Bonnie Blue O'Hara -- Jean Darling

Song "I See Atlanta's Fire In Your Eyes" by Al Dubin and Joe Burke

Vitaphone Orchestra Conducted by Louis Silvers

Dance Sequences Arranged by Larry Ceballos

Color Sequences Photographed in Technicolor Process

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's been suggested that SECRET OF THE INCAS, starring Charlton Heston, was the true inspiration for the Raiders movies, and one fan even did a video mash-up of Heston clips from other movies to create a 1951-style trailer for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUPDuQq9GsM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUPDuQq9GsM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

cecil

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
Bette Davis – Scarlett O’Hara, Gone with the Wind

Bette Davis turned down the role of Scarlett O’Hara in Gone with the Wind. The role went to Vivien Leigh. Davis decided to pass on the role when she thought Errol Flynn would by playing the part of Rhett. She had refused to work with him earlier.

I am glad she did.

Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard or Merle Oberon would have been interesting to see at least their screen tests.

Where did you hear that? I'm pretty sure that Davis wanted the part but didn't get it, and that's why she did "Jezebel" in 1938. I don't think a single woman in Hollywood 'turned down' Scarlett. Everyone wanted it.

cecil

A-List Customer
Carlisle Blues said:
Here is what I found: Controversy surrounded the casting of Audrey Hepburn instead of Julie Andrews for the part of Eliza — partly because theatregoers regarded Andrews as perfect for the part and partly because Hepburn's singing voice had to be dubbed. (Marni Nixon sang all songs except "Just you wait", where Hepburn's voice was left undubbed during the harsh-toned chorus of the song but Nixon sang the melodic bridge section.)

I think Julie should have played it. I love Audrey but she was just irritating in that film.

On that note, I would have liked to have seen Audrey play Gigi in the film that had Leslie Caron in the role.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
George Clooney ( Cleopatra 1963) He may have made that movie interesting.

George-Clooney-Cleopatra-1963--54650.jpg

Nathan

Familiar Face
Peter O'Toole to replace Richard Harris as Dumbledore in the Harry Potter series. I haven't really warmed to Michael Gambon in the roll. He's not the Dumbledore of the books. Richard Harris was perfect! Dead on... O'Toole would have brought the same kind of whimsey to the role that Harris had in spades. Something it lacks in the hands of Mr. Gambon...

LizzieMaine said:

Darth Vader: Boris Karloff

How about Clark Gable in The Fountainhead? Gable, who was a great admirer of Ayn Rand, wanted very much to play Howard Roark that he lobbied MGM, in vain, to buy the rights to the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran