Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Would You Hire For Your Band...

Chas

One Too Many
If you had deep deep pockets, and if they'd agree...

Who would you draft to play in your orchestra?

My all-star band:

Drums: Big Sid Catlett (I stared at the pc for 20 min. agonizing over Cozy Cole)
Bass: Milt Hinton
Guitar: Freddie Green (greatest rhythm guitarist, ever...)
Piano: Mary Lou Williams
Trumpets: Roy Eldridge, Rex Stewart, Cat Anderson
Trombones: Tyree Glenn (doubles on vibes!!), JC Higgenbotham
Baritone Sax: Harry Carney
Alto Sax: Benny Carter (doubles on clarinet), Johnny Hodges
Tenor Sax: Illinois Jacquet, Lester Young
Clarinet: Benny Carter (Lester Young also played good clarinet)
Female Vocals: Anita O'Day (she may show up stoned, but she will give 100%)
Male Vocals: Al Hibbler

Arrangers are Mary Lou Williams and Benny Carter. I would spirit Billy Strayhorn away from the Duke for a while to write some songs for us, as well.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd toss in Sy Oliver as arranger.
Female vocalist : Helen Forrest
Piano: Maybe Earl Hines? or Art Tatum?
Clarinet: Artie Shaw
Guitar: Charlie Christian
This doesn't necessarily reflect who the "Best" was, more just our personal tastes. But an interesting exercise, nonetheless.
Sort of OT, but many years ago a friend of mine here in NY had a small swing trio (The Swing Now Trio) and he used to find various old swing greats who'd agree to play with the band. That's how I saw Erskine Hawkins up close and personal, plus a couple others. One time he had Eddie Barefield, tenor sax man, and maybe a second tier arranger. He had actually played with Benny Moten in 1932. Eddie was about 82 at the time, and I think very pleased to be getting the attention. We were chatting in front of the place (The Village Gate, actually) during intermission, and he said he'd had a dream shortly before, that he was in heaven and all the great players he'd ever known were up there playing. Didn't seem like he was putting it on. Anyway, I hope I can hear that all star band play some day.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I would simply have "picked up" Ben Selvin's orchestra for radio and recording, Joe Haymes' for one-nighters, and Mitchell Ayres' for theater dates. All were experienced at working under different frontmen. Ayres was MD for both Little Jack Little and Charlie Barnet in the 30s; Haymes often lent out or sold entire bands, with his own arrangements.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Charles Mingus has to be one of my favorite Jazz muscians. His wife has a tribute band, I don't think I would mind hiring them.:eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley